Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Rememberance Day

As we approach Rememberance Day I always wonder what the parade will be be like in Lisburn. Since leaving in January 1946 I have never been there for that particular occasion much as I would like to as my uncles name is on the War Memorial.

He was more like a brother to me and was only 23 years old when he was wounded in the "Bismarck" action and died of his wounds in Londonderry military hospital 2 June 1941.

Despite the objections of the Navy in Derry my family brought him home to Lisburn and with the assistance of many people a military style funeral was arranged and he was buried in the family grave in the City Cemetary in Belfast.which I visited the last time I was over in Northern Ireland.

I will probably be taking part in our local Rememberance Day parade etc and he wil be on my mind that's for sure. Mauri

Re: Rememberance Day

Mauri,

I will always remember that day as Bronagh was born on 11th November in the Lagan Valley.

She will have her birthday this year in Mexico on holiday but will doubtless remember all the association's of Poppy Day.

We will remember them. Pat

Mauri
My uncle Billy was in a ship that was sunk by Bismark,survived and was then later involved in the sinking of the Bismark.

When I came to the Vaterland in 1970 I worked with lots of ex soldiers from the German Army, many who were prisoners of war after their defeat in 1945. I never heard any say they were glad the war broke out. They were , like British and American recrutied if they wanted to or not and had to report for duty otherwise they would have been arrested, imprisoned and shot. I remember hearing about a Military Officer who stated " A soldier is less expensive than a mule, a mule must be purschased, all a soldier costs is a postage stamp"!
donald

Pat, I wonder what part of Mexico your daughter is in ??. My Stepdaughter and her husband are down on the Pacific side in a small port south of Acapulco for five weeks, they bought a condo there several years ago though I can never remember the name of the place, John her husband retires from Toronto Police Force next year so they intend to spend a lot of time down there. Mauri

I am quite sure there were many Germans who didn't want to be in the Forces or be at war but there were also the die hard Nazi's and I encountered one of those when I first came to North America in 1956 from Australia.

Myself and an Australian friend who was an ex soldier were in the bar of the Passenger ship we were travelling on from Sydney to Los Angles and Vancouver.

There were several Germans also at the next table who were drinking and singing when one of them who was playing a mouth organ stood up and started playing the German National Anthem "Deutchland whatever" and at the same time gave the Nazi salute, my friend jumped up and hit him knocking him across the floor, one of the remaining Germans immediately called for calm and apologized for his companion's behaviour.

I thought we were in for a big brawl but common sense prevailed and everybody quietened down except the guy who was floored. he left.?? Mauri

Mauri,

They are in Cancun, Mexico......Pat

Thanks Pat, That's on the opposite of the country from where Erin & John are, brought back memories for me as Joy and I have been there a couple of times on a cruise ship. Mauri

Looks lovely. Mexico or Eastern countries never attracted me. I prefer Canada or Europe. Each to his own.

Pat

Pat, One time back in the early 60s I was on a Banana boat going from Costa Rico to Los Angles and we had to pull into Acopulco Mexico to drop off one of our crew who had been injured in a fall. We would loved to have gone ashore with the bright lights and music but just dropped him off and headed back out to sea

Little did I realize that years later I would be on vacaction in Acopulco in fact I had three vacations there and one in another little place just north of Acopulco.

Acopulco is now a place to stay away from,gang shootings,drug dealers has just turned into a dangerous place. Mauri

my god mauri you must of been still in nappies with all these places and adventures you have been on which i would say is a load of crap

Thank You Bertha you are so kind.?? Have't you ever heard of the old saying truth is stranger than fiction ?

No I was not in nappies when I left Lisburn to join the Royal Navy but a young man of 15years old a couple of months short of 16. I was an old man of 17 when I joined my first ship in South Africa.

I transferred to the Royal Australian Navy at 20years old when my Grandmother,Aunt and Uncle immigrated to Australia as my Grandmother was my next of kin due to my Father dying young and my Mother remarrying a character who didn't want anything to do with me.

When I left the Australian Navy I was a married man and we decided to immigrate to the USA.and to get established in the States I decided to join the United States Air Force for four years.

As my marriage broke up I left the Air Force and returned to the UK where I joined the Merchant Navy on the strength of my Navy discharge certificates and for the next five years I sailed the world while waiting for my divorce to go through as my ex wife was originally from the Manchester area.

When my divorce came through I left the Merchant Navy and immigrated to Canada where I have lived for the past 52 years and am on my third marriage my second wife having passed away some 32 years ago.

You will probably say again "What a bunch of Crap" if you do I feel sorry for you but just to be nice I'll say "Have a great week" Mauri

Well hello there Bertha,Welcome to the forum, I'm afraid I haven't been aware of your existence up to now,obviously if this is your first offering to the forum there isn't going to be a lot to look forward to in the future ,maybe your having a bad day for some reason and having nothing to relate you have to be obnoxious to someone who has had a life you couldn't even comprehend ,then again you might just surprise us with your forthcoming exploits, Bertha I won't be holding my breath. Regards Ted

Bertha,

Sorry you have to insult one of our Veterans, who is greatly respected on this Forum.

Mauri has had a full & travelled life, he deserves better than your dismissal of his adventure stories.

I have met both his wife Joy & himself & can tell you there is not a nicer couple to be found. They have nothing bad to say about anyone because they are good people.

Maybe you were having a bad day so here's to a better one today. Pat

Patsy & Ted

Were are your Low Road manners

Mauri, as I've said before, you've lived a full life. I imagine some people appear to have travelled a less colourful journey judging by their comments of disbelief. Not having ventured very far myself, I love hearing about your sea stories and exploits from your earlier years. Keep on posting. We love ya Mauri.

Bertha definitely a Walter mitty character

Sean,

Don,t insult Walter Nitty.

Pat

My thanks to you all who came to my defence re Bertha's comments,I really appreciate it.

Well Rememberance day is over for another year and one that I won't forget. I attended the parade, in fact the first one at the assembly point and nearly froze to death. I hadn't checked the weather forecast so turned up with no top or winter coat (Stupid) and of course It had to be the coldest day of the Fall season.

I changed my mind about marching in the parade but got a seat near the War Memorial in fact right behind the Mayor of Barrie. Turned out to be an embarrassing choice as several Legion women started fussing over me by supplying warm blankets.

Anyway it was an impressive service with the "Last Post" being sounded along with "Revellie" and of course the pipe band in attendance playing as well. Very impressive but boy was I glad to get back into a warm car and better still a warm house??. Mauri

with all your military history its a wonder they didnt give you a warm tank to sit in and at least i dont manipulate the topics to get noticed and a brave few have agreed with me

Bertha, I have no desire to get into an argument with you but maybe you could explain your statement that you don't manipulate the topic, to my knowledge you have only made two comments on the Forum both critical of me.

I have never manipulated anything on the Forum, why would I?? as I have said before "Truth is stranger than Fiction", you said you have travelled would be interesting to hear where to?. Mauri

Mauri who is arguing im only stating facts there are ten maybe fifteen people on this & you are getting hundreds of views very strange that

Bertha, You have avoided answering two of my questions to you.

1. Who is manipulating who?

2. Where you have travelled?

And what facts are you talking about?

Mauri

Mauri

i have not avoided any of your questions,

Q1 if there are only 15 to 20 people on this as i wrote on my post earlier how are you getting 100 or more viewings now do you understand the answer,

Q2 as to were i have travelled that none of your business as this was wrote under someone elses post now do you understand this answer

Patsy,

are you not the one that was thoughtless not letting your favourite veteran know you were in canada recently or was it a big secret,

Also Walter Nitty must be Walter Mittys half brother

one sad old man

Hi Bertha,

I believe you are right about the posts what a very sad sorry sight

Bertha, I don't understand anything about what you have written, of course there are more people viewing than contributing by comments and you still didn't answer my questions??? Bye Bye Mauri

Bertha

Where I go or when is no business of anyone.

My real friends will not question as they know family affairs,especially painful news, like a cancer scare, is too disturbing to even think about or share, except with family.

To answer you in language you will understand...M Y O F B

Pat

Patsy

Sorry to hear about a member of your family cancer scare,

Now you made this my business when you you commented under my post I will pray for you at mass on Sunday over your cursing,also we were associates over the years but we were never friends

Have a nice Christmas

Bertha

Bertha

Same to you. PAT

1 2