Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Remembrance Day

Well another Rememberance Day has come and gone and the number of Veterans attending gets fewer and fewer especially with those from World War 11. It was a beautifull sunny day here in Barrie and there was a very good attendance both from Veterans and spectators along the route and at the Cenotoph. I wonder how it was in Lisburn,?? one of these years I will get over there for it, "We will remember them" Mauri

Re: Remembrance Day

And the band played Waltzing Matilda - Great song about a young soldier returning from Galipoli to Australia.

Dabbler, You have got your songs mixed up,?? Waltzing Matilda is just about Australia's national song and was even given consideration to be the National Anthem at one time however the present anthem "Advance Australia Fair" won out. The song you are thinking about is a rather sad one about a young Australian soldier wounded at Gallopoli the title of which escapes me right now. I wish I had a dollar for everytime we sang "Waltzing Matilda at drunken sing a longs in various clubs and bars.?? Mauri

Dabbler, Just remembered the name of the song you are thinking about."Willie Magee" now I will have to try and remember the name of the guy who sings it though he is well known or was I listened to him often and in fact saw him perform once at a concert in Florida. Mauri

Dabbler, Its not Willie Magee but "Willie McBride" still can't think of the name of the singer who made it popular.??? Mauri

the green fields of france (willie McBride) was an enormous European & American hit quite a few years ago for irish group the fureys & Davey Arthur.

mauri,
dabbler is correct. it's a very descriptive and sad song written and sung by eric bogle. it's called ''and the band played waltzing matilda'' very poignant. you want to google it and have a listen in.
the other one willie mcbride called ''the green fields of france is also sad. a woman talking to his grave stone. both played quite often here on remembrance day. tom

Thanks Tom. Eric Bogle wrote the lyrics. The song has been covered by many singers and groups. The Dubliners' version is the one I like best.

I rest my case about why the forum is dying a horrible death. I supplied some information in answer to a question posed by forum members (willie McBride) only to be completely ignored by the relevant contributers. you have only yourselves to blame for sad state of lisburn.com. far from making new & inexperienced people feel welcome they are completely blanked by the ladies knitting team inner circle. you all know who you are!. I'll just go back to lurking it's where I feel most at home here. you reap what you sow.

Sorry Tom, I stick by my comment.Dabbler referred to the song "Waltzing Matilda" which as you well know has been sung and played by bands etc in Australia since God knows when as opposed to the other one that you mentioned "And the band played Waltzing Matilda which is the chorus of "Willie McBride" a First world war song. I still cannot remember the singer who made it famous although as I said before I attended a concert of his in Florida quite a few years ago. Mauri

Eamon, and I thought I was sensitive.

Hey Eamonlowercase, Cool off, I cannot count the number of times when contributions that I have submitted have been ignored or more correctly not responded too as large numbers of viewers have been recorded. And don't be so sure that the Forum is dead there are stil a good number of regular contributors. So cheer up and keep the home fires burning???. Mauri

ann its not a matter of me being sensitive (though I'm probably on a par with hitler and ghengis khan)it's just that when you read the forum lately all you see is lamentations of it's pending demise. spam, non maintenenance etc are put forward as causes when as far as I can see the major cause is downright rudeness on behalf of few remaining contributers. ann I love chatting with people and really enjoyed meeting you I found you to be a well educated and entertaining person. please shake yourselves up as regards to making infrequent & new contributers feel welcome.

Dabbler, Tom, My apologies to you both as you are quite right about the two different songs.
1. The Green Fields of France
2. And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda

Its me that was mixed up must be my young age playing up on me??. and the name of the singer that I was trying to remember was "John McDermott" who I believe is a Canadian.

I have always had a policy of admitting when I was wrong so there you have it guys if I was closer I would buy the drinks. Mauri

mauri if you were closer I'd let you

eamon,
i agree with that

Yesterday's outrage in Paris gives us another day to remember. Every one of the murderers would have been a firm believer in a just Creator.

Dabbler, So what, should we all be atheists, or what?

fear is not the terrorists greatest weapon it's apathy.

Liz, I would not dream of telling anyone to follow my beliefs -unlike many, many 'believers' in a creator; and I say with some pride that I am friendly with a local Muslim family.

Just giving this a go, I have been spammed,spammed,and spammed again......if this doesn't go,I give up.

St.Catharines.

Hi Billy

Good to hear you are still on the go ! I thought that your computer had given you some problems .We have all had spam problems , and it is not pleasant ,after writing a large section ,to be shot down at the last minute .
Hope all are well in the family ,and yourselves are enjoying the new home .
Take care !
Tommy & Evelyn

Well what do you know I got accepted.

Hi everyone just to let you know,I missed making comments. I have read a lot of interesting stuff since I was laid up, it really is frustrating when you can't say what you think. I would like to thank Mauri for his phone call inquiring about my health and letting you all know how I am. It is great to know people care about me even if you are all so far away.It is good to see my "OLD" mate Tom McCabe writing so much, him and I played the bugle at many a remembrance service, that was almost 60yrs.ago, holy smoke I am getting old.

Donald, I enjoyed your poems very much, very touching.

Ann,Pat,Dabbler,Ted,Liz,and Barney your comments are always very positive, I look forward now to hearing more.

My new e-mail is beanoh1937@gmail.com

I lost all my old e-mail and phone contacts, please let me hear from you so I can get back on track.

Yer man in Niagara.

Tommy
Hi Billy

Good to hear you are still on the go ! I thought that your computer had given you some problems .We have all had spam problems , and it is not pleasant ,after writing a large section ,to be shot down at the last minute .
Hope all are well in the family ,and yourselves are enjoying the new home .
Take care !
Tommy & Evelyn

Hi Tommy,

Great to hear from you, to set the record straight, we passed on the "Condo" and moved in with my daughter Karen and her husband Bernie. Karen wanted us to be close to her, we can't get any closer. Their home has four bedrooms,living room,dining room, three bathrooms,a Sauna,a Hot Tub and a large outdoor pool.
Doreen and I had a long talk about this arrangement before we made the decision, so far so good......we can always move if it doesn't work.
We are all keeping well and hope it is same for you and Evelyn.
Love from us both,
Billy

Hi Beano , You were very conspicuous by your absence and it really is great to hear from you again,I see you are making some big disissons at the moment which at our age isn't easy,but fair play to you both you will never know until you try it and your daughter obviously is making you very welcome and you know it makes sense and you wont have any decorations to put up this year and it will give you a chance to downsize and get rid of all that crap which we promise to throw out for years,that's if your anything like myself,Beano great to have you back !Kind regards to you both Ted

Eamon lower-case, you're not a new member any longer. You're one of the regulars, and an amusing and interesting one too. As Mauri says, if you care to look back on old posts, and even new ones, you will see that most of us have posted something we've thought interesting, only to be completely ignored. It's just that other people have their own ideas on what's interesting. My cooking, which I don't talk about much now, bored most readers to death I'm sure. But, to me, it was a topic for those who wanted to read and reply. Eamon, the lurkers only read. They're either too lazy to reply or else can't put two words together. They're sad. SO, have I convinced you yet that you're not being singled out? Come on, give us your craic.

Beano, where have you moved to? Is it near your old home? I hope everything works out for you and Doreen. I think it's usually a risk moving into someone else's home to live. However, you know your daughter and husband, and I trust that all will be well. Keep fit and keep posting. We all missed you.

Beano, my unforgettable friend, your references to old acquaintances at the Island Mill have lodged you in my memory permanently, and made you someone about whom I am always pleased to hear.

Hi Beano, Good to see you back on line, hope you and the Mrs are enjoying your new abode though it always takes time to really settle in. talk more later. Mauri

Hi Ted,

Thank you for your kind thoughts, we hope it will work out ok in the long term,we both enjoy being spoiled.

Dabbler,

What can I say about the mill, it was a special time in my life. I made quite a few friends there, you remember them all,Sally,Eileen,Reggie D, Leo and Elias McCutcheon and Sam McQuillen.....Memories!!!!

Ann,

I have to tell you, I enjoy all your cooking stories. I/We tried out your recipe again for the Carrot and Ginger soup,this time for our son-in law, what did he do,? poured it over Pasta, he's a Canadian, now he thinks he has invented something new. On the subject of cooking have you an "Easy" recipe for Christmas cake???.

Mauri,

Your seafaring stories are wonderful, you should write a book, it would be a great read...Love to Joy.

Donald,

Your memory amazes me, your recollections of Hilden, the Low Road and Lisnatrunk are terrific with every detail.

Pat,

My dear friend I have started on another diet,wish me luck.

Beano

Beano,

I was delighted to hear you were "on" again. It is never the same without all contributers talking regularly. (including Eamon).

I would love your arrangement as regards living with one of the family but it hasn't happened to me yet. As long as there are separate apartments it should work out.

My regards to Doreen, she will love the company of her daughter. Bronagh returns to Canada with her family tomorrow after a memorable holiday here for her birthday. Rained & high winds all the time but as they said "We didn't come for the weather."

Best of luck in your new home, lucky you, at last real retirement .I would go for it anytime. Joe is the opposite, a homebird in this Cottage.

Hope to talk again regularly, now the Spam is apparently gone & things are looking up .Welcome back old friend.

Pat

1 2