Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Remembrance Day

Beano
Hi Ted,

Pat,

My dear friend I have started on another diet,wish me luck.

Beano[/quote

Beano forget about it until after Christmas, then just cut out bread & cakes & sweets or chocolate.

Pat

Beano
Hi Ted,

Pat, My dear friend I have started on another diet,wish me luck.
Beano

Beano,

Forget about dieting until after Christmas. Hear cutting out bread is good for losing the lbs. also the usual cakes, sweets & chocolate. Pat

Beano. I don't bake my own Christmas cake. However, it's not because it's difficult but the bought ones are just as good and without all the bother. Have a go anyhow. Good luck.

Hi Billy & Doreen

It is good to hear you are back ,in action ,regarding the exiles . I am sure you will both soon settle in with daughter and son in law , sure us Northern Irelanders are easy to get along with ,as long as we get some tender loving care , I can just see you both enjoying the hot tub ,and the sauna .And then all the aches and pains will disappear .Billy you will soon be down to the size you were on the scooter , and in the boys brigade ,blowing the bugle .Can you

still blow the bugle ?

Regards For now to all .
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Yes I can still play the bugle, I tried it a couple of times a week before all our problems developed. Stephen used to accompany me on his drums, mind you I haven't the puff I used to have....still.
The TLC at my new abode is brilliant, a lot of different foods as well, Karen loves to try a lot of mixtures,all made from fresh meat,fruit & vegetables unlike her dad she doesn't use canned stuff!!!! However when they are both at work I am a little bit sneaky,they probably know what I get up to.

Regards,
Billy

Ann,

I have plenty of time on my hands so I thought I would try my own Christmas cake, I can always fall back on a bought one.

Beano,

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the advice re.the diet, Doreen and Karen said the same thing as you,I think I will put it off till the New Year. It is nice to know you had a great time with Bronagh and family, I know what she means by the weather, I never care what it's like when I am home on a visit. By the way they are expecting about 10cm.of snow up her way over the weekend. That forecast also includes Barrie our friend Maurie's new abode.

Beano

Beano, Not sure if I ever told you this before or not, but I too was a bugler in the CLB band during the war,not that I was very good as I was just learning then and much preferred the drums which at that early age I was pretty good at but for some reason never got the chance to play them in the band. However when I joined the Navy in late 1945 and was sent to the Royal Navy Boy's Training Establishment HMS St.Vincent a drum and bugle band was formed under the supervision of a Royal Marine Sergeant and I became the lead drummer and was for the whole year that I spent there. Still have a feel for it even now.?? Mauri

Hi Mauri,

I do remember you relating that story before. I didn't join the CLB band until 1949,I think Tom McCabe was after me. Mind you I played with a number of the guys who where there in your time, Sammy and Harold Crowe, Irvine Waring, Billy Irvine, Sam Waring and Jim Swindell, me, at that time, I was only making up the numbers. I remember Sam Crowe telling me I wasn't good enough, I had great pleasure in proving him wrong.

Beano

hi beano,
i was a bit after you joining, but we ended up in the same band after all, and top buglers. getting driven all over churches,including Christ church and cenotaphs including castle gardens on remembrance day. last post and reveille.
long time ago/.,

Hi Beano, I remember all those guys you mention especially Jim Swindell and Billy Irvine who were good friends of mine at that early age as we were of the same age group, the Crowe's and Sam Waring were older than me. One time when I was in Lisburn for a few days back sometime in the 60s I went into the Town Hall to pay a tax bill for my Aunt, who was behind the counter but Harold Crowe, incidently his Father was my boss in the Post Office when I was a Telegram Boy during the war,he was Head Postman. Mauri

i worked for a while in an office in hilden mill,harold crowe was my boss, he actually got me the job, later in 63 i was out of the air force and in july my older son mark was born in lvh. i was at the viewing window big window where the nurse holds the baby up to see. lo and behold, harold crowe was there as well. i think his wife had twins.
we both stood viewing and harold said to me looks like a monkey house??
good laugh

Tom. Harold Crowe had a couple of brothers one I think was Sam,but what was the name of the eldest who I think was in the Royal Navy during the 2nd World War,do you know???. Mauri

mauri
no sorry i don't know. harold was the only one i knew, mainly due to the clb

not sure if you are still active but I just came across this string of emails when doing an internet search. I am Harold's youngest son David.
For your info there were 4 brothers - Frank,David, Harold, and Sam and one sister Margaret. unfortunately only Sammy is still around now.
Frank was the one in the navy

Hi David,

Nice to hear from you. Your dad was Company Captain when I was made up to an officer, he was also a great friend,I was privileged to be a guest at your parents wedding. Sorry to know that the company is not as big as when your Dad was in charge....too bad. I am hoping to be in Lisburn sometime in the next two weeks.

Bill Hanna( Beano)

Hi David, I too knew your Father from the wartime CLB or Junion Traing Corps, the last time I saw him was in the Town Hall when I went in to pay a tax bill for my Aunt this was sometime during the early 60s, I also knew Sam in the CLB and your grandfather who was my boss during the war in Lisburn Post Office.

Frank I only met once in the Sergeants mess at Thieval Barracks in Lisburn where we had an interesting conversation about the Navy as at that time I was in the Royal Navy. Mauri

1 2