Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Meeting up with the Exiles

We met up in Wetherspoons yesterday and had good oul craic. Donald and Phyllis were there, also Eamon lower-case, big Ted, myself and another man I didn't know. We spent a couple of hours or so and I enjoyed the banter. When Ted and I left the craic was still going on, but we both had places to go, people to see. Donald, his wife and Eamon lower-case and his wife are all off to Galway for a few days. I hope they get good weather. I know they'll enjoy a few beers. I enjoyed my time with them all.

Re: Meeting up with the Exiles

The craic was good
donald

Hi Donald , It was great to catch with the company on Thursday there's no doubt the craic was mighty and was very enjoyable , I do hope the weather keeps up for you's for Galway its many years since I was last there , in the meantime regards to Eamon and the rest of your company and bring us back a rock !Regards Ted

Hi
We have arrived in Lisburn now. My brothers phone number is 0289 267 8177 and my mobile nu ber is 0752 101 1256. We have just hired a car.
Tom

Tom, Have a pint in the Nest for me??, though yesterday I brought up a real interesting website about Lisburn pubs, some of the old ones gone and others with names I never heard off, even the Robins Nest now called the Carbon or something like that. Enjoy your visit. Mauri

Tom,

Welcome home to Lisburn, I believe you will be meeting some of us on Wednesday, in the Civic Centre, my thoughts will be with you all, only wish I could be there in person.

Did you go on the Bus Tour of Dublin.? My son told me there were Australians on his bus around your time there.? I hear there is a new monument to Australians on the route now.

Enjoy the rest of your stay here Tom & may the sun shine on you.

Pat

Pat
I remember reading in a German magazine there is also a monument of thanks somewhere in Dublin, erected by the German government to the Irish people, who, although having little themselves to relieve suffering and hunger in Germany donated over 1,000,000 Pounds and adopted thousands of German orphan children
donald

Donald,

The Irish know too well what it is to be starving with no help or consideration, we never forget the Famine,

I am reading a good book at the moment which you might like as regards Germans & Irish marrying & coming to Ireland to escape the Nazis. It is called "The Speckled People" by Hugo Hamiliton published by Fourth Estate & New York.

It tells the story by a young boy member of the family.

Pat

Pat
Tom,

Welcome home to Lisburn, I believe you will be meeting some of us on Wednesday, in the Civic Centre, my thoughts will be with you all, only wish I could be there in person.

Did you go on the Bus Tour of Dublin.? My son told me there were Australians on his bus around your time there.? I hear there is a new monument to Australians on the route now.

Enjoy the rest of your stay here Tom & may the sun shine on you.

What Time?
Can anybody come?
donald

Pat

will there be any bargains at the market today?
donald

Donald, of course you can come. You will be more than welcome as the only other persons who will be meeting Tom are myself and Dominic. We're meeting at the Civic Centre around 11 am, in the coffee shop. We need you, Eamon Lower-Case and Phyllis to make up the craic. Maybe we'll get down the line for a dander if the weather is good. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Donald, I didn't get to the market this morning as I had a hair appointment. It wasn't a very good morning anyhow with "April showers" in August. It has cleared up now, though. What a summer.!!!!!!! Apparently it's the worst summer since 1985.

Ann
the market was for me such a disappointment, only about 10 stalls.Lisburn was like a ghost town at 10.30 am The only positive thing for me was the coloured stall holders speaking with a norniron accent." Yir the quare geg"! or "away a that wi yi"!
Eamon will probably not be able to come tomorrow but if herself and I can make it we will.
donald

All Exiles,

I hear the Exiles meeting was a great success with Donald & wife, Ann & Dominic, Leonard & Marithe & guests Tom & his wife. Glowing reports of friendly company & memories of Lisburn.

The Civic Centre was cancelled, as the Coffee Shop was not open & three others likewise, including the Museum in the Square, but Weatherspoons saved the day.

Coffee shops are a must for tourists, early or late. Tim Horton take note....

Pat

We had a great get-together on Wednesday. Tom and Lyn are a lovely, friendly couple. After we had met and got to know each other a little bit, Lyn decided that she would like to join the Forum. I look forward to that as females are thin on the ground here and Lyn will no doubt give us an insight into life in Australia from a woman's perspective. Donald and Phyllis, Leo and Marite too enjoyed the craic (Donald and Phyllis's second Exiles meeting in a couple of weeks). All too soon we had to leave, but I could honestly have spent the day with everyone. I hope that we meet up with Tom and Lyn before they go back as the visit wasn't really long enough. Great to meet people in person.

The craic was good, the drink chape
donald

Donald, have a safe journey home tomorrow. Give Phyllis our good wishes.. See ya the next time you're in Lisburn . Take care. I hope Eamon lower-case is feeling better.

Just as the weather was brightening up in norniron we arrived back yesterday in the vaterland to torrential rain. It was as if we had brought it back with us. I think I must have robbed birds nests as a boy and now I´m being repaid
donald

enjoyed myself in norniron but on Sunday we went to Dachau to the Beer festival and had a litre of good German beer, a giant Pretzl and some spready cheese. This is only to get me ready for the Octoberfest which starts on September 19th.
donald

Donald, you and "herself" have a great oul time of it prancing about from one country to another. I must say you're just right. By the way, how is Eamon lower-case doing. I look forward to seeing him on the Exiles soon. See ya.

Ann
Eamon is, I think still having trouble with his legs and feet but no doubt will be able to use his hands to write a few comments on here. Am looking forward to the weekend when our grandchild Kilian returns from Croatia with his father. We will only see him a week or two as he is then going with his mum for a week to Rhodes. Christopher was here on Monday with his Lady Bride for a steak at lunchtime and Max is with his friend on a motorbiking holiday also in Croatia. It seems like yesterday since I changed their diaper. Life is similar to a roll of toilet paper = the nearer it gets to the end the faster it goes.
donald

Have already written a long yarn about our travels which disappeared. Will be writing comments again when backin Australia. This tablet is frustrating.
Tom

Tom I trust that you and Lyn had a good reunion with the McCabe clan. How are you finding the weather here. Hasn't been good. One good day and 3 bad. Ah well, shouldn't complain.

Donald I'm sorry to hear that eamon is still unwell. Tell him we wish him a speedy recovery.

Will tell him Ann,
donald

Thanks Ann the rally was good. Will write more when back on my own computer.
Tom

Tom, when do you return to Australia? In case you don't see thisk, even so I hope you both have a safe journey home again.

Ann,

Tut Tut'''''' "Thisk" Spelling!!!!! Pat

Pat, "thisk" was an eyesight mistake. I pressed "k" instead of the comma. What am I becoming? Hearing poor, eyesight going, another hip replacement recommended, GP in the morning, dentist today - guess what, I'M STILL ALIVE.

Ann,

We are going on "borrowed time" The old engine is getting rusty...

Pat

Pat, EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!

1 2