Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bradbury's Buildings

Did Freddy Gillillan live in Bradburys Buildings> Did I ask that previously>

Hi Ted, did you enjoy your holiday? Nice to see you back on the Forum again.

Pat
Dabs,

Ann is right. Our cousins are no relation to the Mc Keown's you refer to in Barrack Street, different families. No Theresa in our family names, but I do know the ones you speak about'

Joe remembers Tommy John, he once said he was "getting toughened up for the hod". He was a labourer in the building trade then. I think he was the only son in that family of girls. Kathleen was in my class at school.

Names sometimes mislead us, especially when the families live close to each other.

Pat

Pat

i mind that one about Tommy John for it was me he said it to i probably told it to Joe, doubt if TJ could have carried seed to a canary at that time,or hot water to a midwife

b woods
Pat
Dabs,

Ann is right. Our cousins are no relation to the Mc Keown's you refer to in Barrack Street, different families. No Theresa in our family names, but I do know the ones you speak about'

Joe remembers Tommy John, he once said he was "getting toughened up for the hod". He was a labourer in the building trade then. I think he was the only son in that family of girls. Kathleen was in my class at school.

Names sometimes mislead us, especially when the families live close to each other.

Pat

Pat

i mind that one about Tommy John for it was me he said it to i probably told it to Joe, doubt if TJ could have carried seed to a canary at that time,or hot water to a midwife

Brendan, thank you. I've managed to put in the quotes. Now I'll have to try and put in the quotes I actually. Don't know how that particular one came up but I just used it anyhow.

Watch this space from now on. Oh, brilliant, every time anyone says anything now, I'll be quoting them. Isn't this 21st century technology wonderful? Mind you, I can't even put a DVD on - Rachel does it for me if I need to. I don't think the boss can put on a DVD either. AND the boss cannot use the computer. Mind you, he's ironing for me this afternoon.

There was not a Freddie Gilliland in our family Dabbler.

Thanks Liz. I believe there's a photo of Freddy on one of the school photos.He sparred with me sixty two years ago when we were in the TA.

Someone mentioned that we in Lisburn, in previous days, didn't give streets their proper names. That is correct and we're still doing it. I never say the Belfast Road but call it the Broad Road. Wallace Avenue was always the New Walk; just before Moore's Bridge there are trees in abundance, some overhanging the road; this was always referred to as "the plantin'" although I'm sure that's not the name at all. Only Lisburn people would be aware of these old names. I always know a "blow-in" when they refer to Menarys as MenArys; also Haslem's Lane as HASlem's Lane. Grove Street was always called Winnie Row. We originals have our own way and still do. I'm sure there are other examples but that's all I can think of at present.

Ann,

What about Bap Row, The Line, The Back Lane, The Bungalows.?

Pat

AND there's more I'm sure. Where's Donald? Just remembered "the loneys".

Yes, we can't think of loneys without thinking of Donald, can we!

Donald, you asked where Bradbury Buildings were. Go down Pipers Hill, pass the Holla on the left and Linenhall St on the right, up the hill a bit, passing Barrack Lane on the left and a bit further on your right was Bradbury Buildings, commonly called The Buildings. It was a culdesac, and as someone said had a high wall at the top where a pigeon shed was.

Liz

Ann
AND there's more I'm sure. Where's Donald? Just remembered "the loneys".

Tullnabuck !!!

Liz was spammed about Bradbury buildings.
That was around where my great uncle Barney Watters and his wife Cassie lived
donald

Pat

Ann,

ANN THE PLANTIN AS YOU SAID IT, WAS ALWAYS KNOWN AS THE PLANTATION

What about Bap Row, The Line, The Back Lane, The Bungalows.?

Pat

Barney, I always heard people referring to "the plantin'". Dominic, as you know, lived beside it and that's what he and his family called it. There is or was a place over the Co Down called "the Plantation". Are you thinking of it?

Another one I remembered today was "the end of the town". That referred to the top of Millbrook. Low Road and Hilden people always called the area by that name. I suppose that meant the Low Road commenced after Millbrook on the way down from town. On the way into town, after passing Millbrook you were in Lisburn. SO, all of us Low Road and Hilden people were actually out-of-towners.

My gran always referred to the Belfast Road as " the broad road"!
donald

Ann
Barney, I always heard people referring to "the plantin'". Dominic, as you know, lived beside it and that's what he and his family called it. There is or was a place over the Co Down called "the Plantation". Are you thinking of it?

NO I KNEW OF THAT OTHER PLANTATION WILBUR TODD RACING DRIVER LIVED THERE

ON THE DUBLIN/HILLSBOROUGH ROAD AS YOU GO DOWN THE HILL TO MOORES BRIDGE ON LEFT HAND SIDE THERE WAS GROUND THERE THAT WAS LET OUT IN PLOTS IF YOU WANTED TO GROW YOUR OWN VEGETABLES,I THINK THATS HOW IT GOT THE NAME THE PLANTATION OR PLANTIN AS YOU SAY

Barney, thanks for the explanation on how "the plantin'" got its name. I always thoughts it was to do with the trees. Now I know something I never knew before. I wonder does Dominic know that? I'll ask him in a minute. I interrupted his viewing of the horses to give him your explanation of "the plantin'". He looked quizzically at me and doesn't agree with your answer.
I wonder how we could find out? By the way, he knew about the vegetable plots.