Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Bradbury's Buildings

I just had another look at the old photo, and I see that the picture has been confirmed as being Bradbury's Buildings, and some resident names have been added. Did the person who added the names live there?
I expect you'll all be busy around the Twelfth, but sometime, perhaps...

Re: Bradbury's Buildings

Who is Lila Hamilton?

Hi Dabbler, she is my husbands auntie! Daughter of Johnny and Sarah McDonald. She grew up in bullocks court lisburn and married Noel Hamilton from dromore

Hi Snowball and Dabbler,

Lila Hamilton was the name of my Mother,s home help, she lived in Gregg Street, could this be the same person you speak of?. Incidentally she was a very nice lady.

Beano

I'm looking in early this morning, and pleased to see your reply, snowball. I remember Lila, and Johnny and Sarah, as well as Paddy and wife Teresa, who was distantly related to me through marriage. And Raymond, of course, with whom I played and had scraps.
Thanks for helping me relive the memories.
(There is/was a younger brother to Raymond, but, at this moment, the name escapes me).

I opened this again, because I wanted to edit my comment, which should have read "Paddy's wife, whose sister or cousin, Teresa, was related to me through marriage".

Hi Dabbler,
I think the person in question is John
Regards Ted

Thanks, Ted.

Dabbler, isn't Ted concise and to the point, unlike me.

Dabbler, John is correct. He married a girl called Arlene from the Low Road. Arlene's husband, John, is Lila Hamilton's brother. I know Lila well, went to school with her.

Now, Dabbler, you're wrong on one point. Paddy McDonald (RIP) was married to my cousin Mary McKeown who hailed from Church Street. Mary is the cousin who visited Pat last week.

Small world, ain't it?

Thanks for the info Ann. Was Teresa not her sister/cousin?
Paddy and his wife, who, as I wrote a couple of years ago, had an appendectomy while they were courting, spent their honeymoon in Bray, near Dublin.

"That a head so small could hold so much knowledge!"

Well Ann After all these years I find out I have consise and my sister in the chemist never told me about it probably thats why I love your company I am a better listener than talker and of course oppisites attract, however between us we answered Dabblers ?
Kind Regards Ted

Bradbury's Buildings was that in Chapel Hill the doorway to it was between Hagues Pub and Paddy Brogans chemist shop,i knew Paddy McDonald and his brother Raymond a bricklayer who died a fairly young man,Paddy was plasterer, also the McKeown family i knew well, big Paul also a bricklayer married one of the Ginesies Hugh McGrogan another bricklayer married one of the Ginesies also,i think his wife and Pauls wife were sisters, their father Tabbo was killed in England fell from a train as far as i can recall.
Bullicks Court we used to call it Squeeze Gut entry Harry Naill, Billy Logue, the Murray family Andy and Mickey and two sisters, the McNally family also lived there John and Peter and one or two sisters
Harry Naill would never walk down the entry unless there was a light showing,if no light Harry would shout as loud as he could Maaaaaaaaaa its your son Harry ahe would open the door and the light from the open door was enough for Harry to run home.
Sam Swirley McGann was another one afraid of the dark
he would not walk down Pump Lane on his own in the dark,in fact one night there was a card school going on in the Big Hall and the players sent Sam out for to get a few fish suppers,when Sam came back the poker school had broke up and they all went home,but there was a light on in Billy Ferris,s shop just on the corner of Chapel Hill and Pump Lane,Jimmy Burns Joe,s brother was doing some work in shop for Ferris
well Sam stood outside shop waiting on Jimmy to finish
so he would walk down the lane with him they only lived a few doors apart in Brookvale Drive,think Sam stood till near 5 in the morning.

Dabs,

Ann is right. Our cousins are no relation to the Mc Keown's you refer to in Barrack Street, different families. No Theresa in our family names, but I do know the ones you speak about'

Joe remembers Tommy John, he once said he was "getting toughened up for the hod". He was a labourer in the building trade then. I think he was the only son in that family of girls. Kathleen was in my class at school.

Names sometimes mislead us, especially when the families live close to each other.

Pat

Pat

BRENDAN

Jimmy Burns is alive & well, living in Australia over 50years. Was speaking to him recently on the Net, he looks about 60 & he is almost 30 years older. He is a man of all trades, expert on the computer, does his own repairs etc. a marvel. He & I are great friends, a lovely man with an open mind.

Did you see Brendan's photo in the Star, he was married 60 years on 10th July.? They had a family reunion in the Grand Hotel Malahide last week, a laugh a minute. Brendan is still playing golf most days, lives in Newcastle now.

By the way Bradbury's Buildings was off Hill St on the right going up, about half way.

Pat

Brendan,

I will tell you why the people you refer to in Ridgeway St etc were afraid of the dark. Too late now, I am going to bed, but I heard tales told of that Street & environs that would make your hair curl in the dark.

I will tell the tale after the w/end as I am off to Kilkee if the weather keeps fine. Have to build up immune system before this swine flu hits in the Autumn. The old & the young are at risk.

According to pundits we have to soak up Vitamin C, sunshine & healthy air. Keep out of crowds, do our shopping early morning or late evenings when few are in the shops, avoid airports & long haul flights.

The signs are negative, the bees are another tale.

Pat

Dabbler, methinks you had a "fancy" for my cousin Mary. Imagine remembering all those details after 50+ years.

I'll tell wee wifey on you, you sly old thing.

Hi Ted, did you enjoy your holiday? Nice to see you back on the Forum again.

'Have to build up the immune system before the swine flu hits' ' plenty of sunshine'.

DID YOU NOT GET YOUR FAIR SHARE OF SUNSHINE IN CANADA?

Talk about grab all. Leave some for the rest of us.

Dabbler, methinks you had a "fancy" for my cousin Mary. Imagine remembering all those details after 50+ years.

I'll tell wifey if youre not careful!!!!!!!

Pat
BRENDAN

Jimmy Burns is alive & well, living in Australia over 50years. Was speaking to him recently on the Net, he looks about 60 & he is almost 30 years older. He is a man of all trades, expert on the computer, does his own repairs etc. a marvel. He & I are great friends, a lovely man with an open mind.

Did you see Brendan's photo in the Star, he was married 60 years on 10th July.? They had a family reunion in the Grand Hotel Malahide last week, a laugh a minute. Brendan is still playing golf most days, lives in Newcastle now.

By the way Bradbury's Buildings was off Hill St on the right going up, about half way.

Pat

I used to see Brendan regularly in Newcastle in the Parish Centre not so often now as i am in Kilkeel,i also see Gerald McDowell now and again his wife died a few years ago,i remember Jimmy Burns well and his wife a girl from the south, she worked in the reeling room in Stewarts Mill and when i was doing trucker at that time i used to have lift the cages of bobbins up onto the rack for her as she was to small to reach it,****ed if i can remember her name now,and yes Jimmy was handy at making things he was into model aircraft way back then

Pat
Brendan,

I will tell you why the people you refer to in Ridgeway St etc were afraid of the dark. Too late now, I am going to bed, but I heard tales told of that Street & environs that would make your hair curl in the dark.

I will tell the tale after the w/end as I am off to Kilkee if the weather keeps fine. Have to build up immune system before this swine flu hits in the Autumn. The old & the young are at risk.

According to pundits we have to soak up Vitamin C, sunshine & healthy air. Keep out of crowds, do our shopping early morning or late evenings when few are in the shops, avoid airports & long haul flights.

The signs are negative, the bees are another tale.

Pat

Yes i mind the yarns told about the lane,the Double Ditch and chains rattling late at night,i think that was Isaac Keery did that rattling at night,i came home at all hours and never heard or seen anything though one of the Turley girls Eileen i think was her name, i had to walk her down the lane any time i'd have seen her coming from the dances late on we used to go in Hendys mini bus to Lurgan and Portadown at the weekends,Dinny Blaney used to run the young ones to Banbridge in the taxi

Brendan, in Pat's absence I can tell you that Jimmy Burns' wife's name is Kay.

You are right about Bradbury Buildings being between Hague's and Brogan's. I asked the boss and he said it was opposite the chapel so that would be correct then.

Wait'll she hears she's wrong!!! Anyway, Joe tells her half the things she puts on anyhow and she takes his word for it. (I can hear Joe talking sometimes when I read her input).

Could anyone tell me how to put in those "quotes". You know, in a wee square, referring to what someone has said without me having to actually repeat it.

LR started all that years ago and now he's left us in the lurch.

Bradbury's Buildings - Pat is right.
Paddy MacDonald's wife - and I'm still not sure of her Christian name - was, at twenty, slim, including bust, with fair hair cut short ala Doris Day, a grownup when I was ten to fourteen. Raymond gave me details of her appendix, and about Bray, where his brother spent his honeymoon. I certainly noticed girls, which is why I was surprised when Katie said she regularly came up the lane. Not so surprised if she was a girl-child, but I believe she said she pushed a pram up there.I clearly - well fairly clearly, recall Rosaline Whitby and Lila MacDonald, even though they were little girls. Not as clearly as I remember Chippy, Whitby's dog, who was virtually one of our gang.
Brendan - trucker, same as myself, to the Reeling Room? Did you know Davy Anderson? Billy Dunleavey? Kevin Toman? Maisy Clark, and sister Florrie? Sally Coulter? Florrie McClements?

Brendan - trucker, same as myself, to the Reeling Room? Did you know Davy Anderson? Billy Dunleavey? Kevin Toman? Maisy Clark, and sister Florrie? Sally Coulter? Florrie McClements?
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes i knew them ok Davy lived facing the Big Hall Billy lived in Buggy Row i think it was, Pat McCaugherty and Sean(Nick)Hamilton lived there also,was Kevin from Lurgan?,Florrie McClements she married Geordie Allen,not sure about the Clarkes where they from Lurgan also?,a lot of the workers in Stewarts Mill came from Lurgan.
Iknew two Sally Coulters one was my neighbour down the lane the other i remember also but vaguely was she Billys sister,me and Billy used to go to the dogs at Dungannon Billy married one of the Lundys her brothers Gerald and Arthur i knew very well,Arthur and i were married same day08/07/63

Rosaleen Whitby (RIP) was a lovely looking girl. She had thick chestnut hair, and loads of beautiful clothes. I think she was an only girl.

Unfortunately, Rosaleen didn't have a very happy life in later years. She died some years ago, unmarried and living alone.

Nice person, that's all I can say.

Dabbler, I'm far too young to remember Bradbury's Buildings anyhow.

Being from the Low Road, I didn't get into town too often on my own. I can safely say 'never'. Only when I started work was I allowed to attend the 2nd house of the pictures.

Done me no harm - I think?

Iknew Rosaleen Whitby very well she used to go with Vincie Weir her brother Patsy died a young man he was a bricklayer,and yes Rosaleen sure was a good looker, she used to go about with Lilly Rielly who married Desie Turley who died a young man also,she married again to Frank Lowery from newcastle they split up,Lilly is now living in Lurgan she has 2 sons and 2 daughters.
just remembered in a film series made by the BBC Our Town there is a clip in it showing Rosaleen walking up Batchelors Walk towards the railway station im sure there is 2 parts to the Lisburn edition of that show

b woods
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes i knew them ok Davy lived facing the Big Hall Billy lived in Buggy Row i think it was, Pat McCaugherty and Sean(Nick)Hamilton lived there also,was Kevin from Lurgan?,Florrie McClements she married Geordie Allen,not sure about the Clarkes where they from Lurgan also?,a lot of the workers in Stewarts Mill came from Lurgan.
Iknew two Sally Coulters one was my neighbour down the lane the other i remember also but vaguely was she Billys sister,me and Billy used to go to the dogs at Dungannon Billy married one of the Lundys her brothers Gerald and Arthur i knew very well,Arthur and i were married same day08/07/63

Brendan
I ought to remember you. Shaun (Nick) is/was my cousin. The Clarks lived over the bridge in the County Down. Sally lived opposite the Big Hall down Stewarts? Court. Kevin was from Lurgan. Davy was killed in Cyprus. Edie Coulter was Billy Coulter's sister - Linenhall Street. Like the Lundys, all of whom I knew well. Billy Coulter wsa a staunch Protestant, who lived almost directly opposite the Lundys, devout Catholics. Thanks for all your input. I hope your wife is feeling better.
Joe

Ann
I'm sorry to hear that Rosaline was unhappy in later years.
When the Whitbys, and anyone else, moved away from 'The Casbah', as my dad and Danny McShane nicknamed our place, they disappeared from my childhood, because, like you, I stayed in my own part of town.

b woods
Iknew Rosaleen Whitby very well she used to go with Vincie Weir her brother Patsy died a young man he was a bricklayer,and yes Rosaleen sure was a good looker, she used to go about with Lilly Rielly who married Desie Turley who died a young man also,she married again to Frank Lowery from newcastle they split up,Lilly is now living in Lurgan she has 2 sons and 2 daughters.
just remembered in a film series made by the BBC Our Town there is a clip in it showing Rosaleen walking up Batchelors Walk towards the railway station im sure there is 2 parts to the Lisburn edition of that show

Brendan
is that the Vincie Weir from Hilden who lived next door to the McShane family in Bridge Street?
If so he was best man at my Uncle Ronnie,s wedding and I think related to the Lunn family who lived there.
donald

1 2 3