Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Re: Hilden long ago

Ann
you are correct, Norah died very young, Ken went to Hilden school together with your late brother Joseph and I in the same class.
donald

Ann, Eamon, & Donald, I wouldn't come between two brothers, but the Lynes family lived in 170 we lived in 166. There were three children, Billy Norah and David. Your right Ann Norah died many years ago I think she had two little boys.Poor we things. Must go and watch Mr.Selfridge. See you all tomorrow. Pam

Pamela
you forgot to mention Kenneth who was born around 1944, similar to your twin brothers and went to Hilden school.
donald

Like others when I write about Linenhall Street,I cannot add much to Hilden. My only connection was the Corrigan family, related to me via my mother. Anyone still alive from that family may wish to know that Patsy's name is engraved in the War Memorial at Plymouth.

Dabbler, I would love to hear from other people in the town and what they got up to. You know, people from around Smithfield, the Co Down or the Longstone. Surely the Low Road and Hilden weren't the only places where there was a community. Or was it????

Ann
Dabbler, I would love to hear from other people in the town and what they got up to. You know, people from around Smithfield, the Co Down or the Longstone. Surely the Low Road and Hilden weren't the only places where there was a community. Or was it????

Pipers Hill and Linenhall St are also for me interesting, my Great Uncle Barney Watters and his wife Cassie lived there. If my memory serves me right there was a shirt factory and it was rumoured that ghosts ran about. The toss, gasworks and back lane also ring bells.
donald

Dabbler
Like others when I write about Linenhall Street,I cannot add much to Hilden. My only connection was the Corrigan family, related to me via my mother. Anyone still alive from that family may wish to know that Patsy's name is engraved in the War Memorial at Plymouth.

Dabbler
I remember the Corrigan family, they lived in Bridge St. Bernadette I think married a Lowroader named Ferris.
donald

Donald, I think you knew them better than I did. Bernadette, Alice, and Joseph were around in the sixties.

Dabbler Around 1956-57 I ran into Joe in Louton were we proceeded to a bar called the Compass's were to say the least we really pushed the boat out and after coming out of the bar I fell and ended up in Luton & Dunstable hospital with about 3or 4 stitches in my head and one of the worst hangovers you could imagine, I don't think our pathes ever crossed since that day.Regards Ted

The last house in the back row(Bridge Street) in Hilden, had, I am sure,
a wee shop where you could buy the most delicious candy apples.
Am I dreaming?

Lowroader , Do you mean the last house down by the back race? Pamela

Pamela,
I meant the last house before the school gates. Next to it was the road that joined Mill St. and Bridge St. and went down to the mill gates.

Ted
Dabbler Around 1956-57 I ran into Joe in Louton were we proceeded to a bar called the Compass's were to say the least we really pushed the boat out and after coming out of the bar I fell and ended up in Luton & Dunstable hospital with about 3or 4 stitches in my head and one of the worst hangovers you could imagine, I don't think our pathes ever crossed since that day.Regards Ted

Ted
I had a pint or two in that pub in Hightown Road in the sixties. I didn't meet Joe, though I lived and had a wee shop a few hundred yards from there.

Low Roader
The last house in the back row(Bridge Street) in Hilden, had, I am sure,

a wee shop where you could buy the most delicious candy apples.

Am I dreaming?

No Lowroader you are not, I remember my aunt Peg telling me that about Dan and Lissie Fitzsimmons who lived facing the girls entrance making and selling toffee apples. They cooked the toffee in a pot on the open fire and then dipped the apples which were skewered on sticks hewn from firewood into the pot and set them to harden upon the enamel tin below the hearth. They were then sold for 1d each. The health authorities would have a field day now.
donald

Dabbler The evening in question when I meet Joe I had just come out of a pub called the George and I had been drinking in the Tap Room does it ring a bell ?

I think the name of the lady who made the toffee apples & ice lollies was mrs Philips. she lived in the house nearest the mill gates.

I don´t remember her selling apples and lollies but know she ran bus trips to Bangor and Newcastle. Half of Hilden went on them
donald

Donald and Eamon, you two remind me of the song "I say "potaaaato" and you say "potato", I say "tomaaaaatoo" and you say "tomato". Sibling rivalry raises its head again. Just as well you two aren't living together. We all love you both.

Donald,
I, like you do not remember the Phillip's family selling sweets.
The house I referred to was the last house in the back row. I am sure there was son at school at the same time as me but I cannot for the life of me remember the name.
Pamela please put me out of my misery and name that name!!!

Lowroader
Coming from the top of Bridge St. a family named Patterson / Stewart lived in the last house, There was a boy called David around your age. Then came the small street you mentioned. The first house after it was occupied by a lady whose name evades me. Twin girls also lived there, Pauline and Marie Harrison. We mentioned here before that Mrs Toman who lived in Mill Street, facing the dining room and ran a wee shop there. That was before my time but there were sons who also attended Hilden school and later served in the Army. Photos from them are on the site together with their father Pat, also a Military man with a school football team.
donald

Low Roader & all,

My Ma make the best toffee apples I ever tasted, lovely dark toffee with a thick rim at the top. Unfortunately it was a Halloween treat.

She made them on the gas ring in a pot with syrup boiling & dipped the Kemp apples in it & put lollipop stick in the middle. Sometimes she sprinkled them with 100's & 1000's. They cooled on a plate. Delicious..

Pat

Lowroader, As Donald says the Stewarts lived in that house, but I don't remember them selling toffee apples. The ones I remember making the toffee apples were as Donald says Wee Dan and Big Lozzie (Fitzsimmons). Yum Yum It's a wonder we weren't all poisoned. Ha Ha.Pam

Donald, Pauline and Maria Harrison were not twins probably just a year between them. They lived there with their mother Kathleen Harrison. I think they are living in South Africa, they moved there years ago when one of the Germans from Grundig opened a factory there. If you are looking in here Pauline or Maria get in touch. Pamela

Eamon, Mrs Phillips made ice lollies, she was the first one in Hilden to get a fridge. She must have made the lollies in the wee ice box at the top of the fridge. I don't remember her ever making toffee apples though.Pamela

Pamela, I remember Pauline and Marie Harrison very well. Pauline was the thin, swarthy one; Marie had a fuller figure, although not fat. She was more fresh-faced. I didn't know it was SA they moved to. I hope they are both well. Does anyone remember Mrs McClenaghan (McClenaghan's shop) making iced lollies from her house. I always thought it magical that she could produce orange and bright green lollies. I always got a green one because you couldn't get that colour anywhere else. AND they were a delicious flavour, quite strong. By the way, I'm away further up the Low Road now.

I got my colours mixed up with the lollipops. They were RED and green, not orange, although she may have made orange ones too. I think they were made using cordial. Lovely, anyhow, and I think they cost one penny each. She also sold broken biscuits.

Hi all,

We called into Billy Robinson's shop (later Vaughans) for his wife's iced lollipops on a stick, 1 penny each, lovely, made with cordial, all colours, each one nice, I liked the white ones.

Did Tommy Just once sell ice-cream, have a memory of getting sliders & pokes from a fridge there.? Tommy sat behind the counter & sometimes his elder daughter served us. He also dealt in electrics, radio etc.

Pat

Pat,
Tommy Just certainly did sell ice cream, the best in town, in my opinion,but I may be slightly biased!!
He made it in a yard next to the lane down to the convent school.
His eldest daughter was probably the shop assistant in your time, followed later on by Betty, his youngest daughter.

Pat

Hi all,

We called into Billy Robinson's shop (later Vaughans) for his wife's iced lollipops on a stick, 1 penny each, lovely, made with cordial, all colours, each one nice, I liked the white ones.

Did Tommy Just once sell ice-cream, have a memory of getting sliders & pokes from a fridge there.? Tommy sat behind the counter & sometimes his elder daughter served us. He also dealt in electrics, radio etc.

Pat
Tommy Just sold ice cream and radios. His shop was across from the Infirmary. He also sold ice from his van and dealt in tools as a sideline. Some locals , my great uncle Ned and John McPolin but to name two who had no electric used to take their radio batteries there to be re-charged.A few doors down was Billy Wright´s hairdressers and on the corner turning down to Millbrook in 1948 McKewon´s Bakery opened a shop there, my mother was still alive then and on the opening day we called in and she bought us Paris Buns.
donald

Pat

Ted
Regarding pubs in Luton, I lived exactly opposite The Old English Gentleman; and I drank, and one year was runner-up in a dominoes tournament at The Midland nearby.
I worked alternate months days and nights throughout the sixties. Above my door and plate glass window the name REIDS in red painted letters was clear to see.

1 2 3 4