Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Re: Hilden long ago

Hi Low Roader, I remember Hunter Fisher he lived in the last house in the row of houses as you come out of the wee park, he died very young
, but I was never aware of the instance of his disappearance ? a sad episode, Kind Regards

Hi Low Roader Regarding the photo I am afraid I have had trouble sourcing it , I was wondering are there photos missing, would you mind confirming if you can still find it at your first opportunity, and confirm if its still available, I would appreciate it. By the way I notice that we are now using a new text ? Thanks Ted

Was there another family member called Joe? My uncle Tommy used to go fishing with Joe Fischer.
donald

Donald another name from the past ,do you remember Malachy Bowers ? He had a sister called Roseline I remember attending his funeral some years ago .

Ted, I think Donald would be too young to remember the Bowers family.Cheers Pam

Donald, who's Vera?

Ted,
Hopefully, if you click on this link the photo should be there.
http://www.lisburn.com/oldphotographs/Photo_pages/lisburn-boys-club-1943.html
You can also click on PHOTOGRAPHS at the top of the forum and and then click clubs.
LR

Ann / Pamela
Vera Hall nee McClatchey who writes here sometimes, her family lived there. I remember Malachy and his sister Roseline,I think she is also deceased as there was an obituary some time ago in the Tele.
donald

Low Roader
Ted,

Hopefully, if you click on this link the photo should be there.

http://www.lisburn.com/oldphotographs/Photo_pages/lisburn-boys-club-1943.html

You can also click on PHOTOGRAPHS at the top of the forum and and then click clubs.

LR

Lowroader
is the adult standing at the left Arthur Rooney?
donald

Donald,
No, but he bears a striking resemblance to Hugh's dad.
Mr Morrow was one of two instructors at the time, the other being Johnny McCabe at the extreme right of the back row. At that particular time the minimum age for joining was, I believe, 12 years as the routines on the equipment were quite advanced. When they had their
annual display which were mostly held in the mill dining room it was standing room only. They also "guested" in the annual display at the Methodist church hall.

Lowroader
that was before my time but some of the names brought back memories, Sammy Lynn for example. I remember the old dining room before it was renovated. That was in the 50s
donald

donald
Lowroader

that was before my time but some of the names brought back memories, Sammy Lynn for example. I remember the old dining room before it was renovated. That was in the 50s

donald

last time i seen sammy he was running a bar in galway town very central it was to

One of the Lynn family, I think it was Sammy married a girl who worked in Derryvolgie House for the Ewart family. I think she was from the ROI.
donald

Low Roader I may be mistaken but I have a feeling we once gave a display in the British Legion hall in Wallace Ave ? Would that ring a bell,By the way thanks for the link I will try it on the computer later this morning Kind Regards Ted

Hi Low Roader Success at last,the photo brings back memories of about 90% of the members who I would have known from the road, this photo was taken many years before I joined.My Mum was a smoother in Glenmore and I think some of the Kirkwoods worked there and he told her to send me down consequently that's how I got ineisheated in the club and it still holds great memories for me especially some of the senior members who seem to give there time very freely .great times were had by all ! Regards Ted

Ted,
You are quite right, in fact some of the club appeared at a few displays as their expertise was recognised as being in advance of anything being done in the town. The McCabe brothers (Johnny & Bobby) were particularly good. BTW you will notice a very young "Panky" Waters in the photograph.
The club also had a very good football team at one time , competing in the Northern Ireland Association of Boys Clubs(NIABC) league against teams mostly from Belfast. The NewsBoys Club was a notable competitor at this time.
Donald,
Yes, Sammy Lynn was a member as was at least one of the Kirkwoods.

Low Roader,

I believe you are right, I knew a Mary Connor & she lived in Delacherois Avenue (then Hilden Avenue) near the corn field end. Her brother was called Maurice, a nice blond haired gentlemanly fellow.

Where are all the flowers gone.? Pat

Donald, Joe Fisher was and is a lovely man. He was the boss in No 6 Reeling. My mother was a reeler there and she had a very good word to say of him. Sometimes Joe came into our office to see the manager or attend a meeting. He always smiled and spoke to us and I think he was even a bit shy. I last saw him some months ago in Lisburn with his wife.

Ann,

If it is the same Joe Fisher, he was a fellow worker in Barbour's,
a good-looking quiet man, looked like Dennis Morgan, the film star, I always thought, saw Joe last in Green's, where he was working for his stamps for the pension.

Glad to hear he is alive & well. A nice family, the Fishers, from Millbrook.

His brother Nevin died years ago, another decent fellow. Joe knew him well in Mooney's, where they all met on a Saturday afternoon, in the good old days.
Pat

Thank you Pat.
I am pretty sure Maurice lived exactly where you say.
I should point out that Andy Brodie was the caretaker at the EMB and even after he retired from the club still had an iron grip on things.

Pat

Ann,

If it is the same Joe Fisher, he was a fellow worker in Barbour's,

a good-looking quiet man, looked like Dennis Morgan, the film star, I always thought, saw Joe last in Green's, where he was working for his stamps for the pension.

Glad to hear he is alive & well. A nice family, the Fishers, from Millbrook.

His brother Nevin died years ago, another decent fellow. Joe knew him well in Mooney's, where they all met on a Saturday afternoon, in the good old days.

Pat

Ann Pat
When I worked in Hilden in 1959 Joe Fisher was overseer in No.6 That is almost 55 years ago, when did you see him working in Greens?
donald

I have another name to conjure with - Billy Lyness(or Lynas) who lived in the front row in Hilden.
I wonder where?

billy lyness lived in no 168 mill st next door to us. I wonder that the hilden font of all things hilden didn't jump in on that one. SMIRK

Because I was waiting for you to make a mistake. It was Nr.170 where BOTH of them lived = Billy the father who was a spray painter in Altona AND Billy the son who served an apprenticeship in Hilden as a fitter and did some painting and decorating in his spare time. SMIRK SMIRK SMIRK!!!

I never found out why the factory where Shorts produced parts was called Altona, there is an area of Hamburg which is called Hamburg Altona, I have been there often for union conferences and as a observer in the Labour Tribunal Hearings in the courthouse situated there. Anyone out there know?
the Hilden font

your definitely drinking too much augustiner (or not enough). we lived in 169 mill st. next door to us was billy lyness. sons david & ken daughter was called nora. SMIRK SMIRK SMIRK. come on Pamela settle this once and for all please.

Donald, it is a good few years now since Joe Fisher worked in Greens. However, in Greens he definitely worked, and, as Pat says, although I never thought of it at the time, probably to make up his stamps towards a pension.

Eamon
Wanna bet? the house numbers started at the top and increased going down, Aunt Tessie lived in 159

SMIRK SMIRK SMIRK
donald

I don't dispute the number system in hilden. the enquiry was about billy lyness. the facts are as stated no matter what it said on the door. help! Pamela.

Eamon, it was only when you mentioned Norah that I remembered the Lyness family. I only knew Norah, mind you; I recall her as a tall, thin girl with long, curly hair. Something tells me that she died, but I'm not sure. Maybe Pamela will let us know.

Donald and Eamon, you're both as bad as Pat and me. Sibling rivalry.!!!!!!!! Behave. You're both brilliant.

1 2 3 4