Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
lambeg book

i had a birthday present from lisburn. it's an A4 size hard back book called ''all around lambeg"" by fredrick gilbert watson and it is so interesting, lots of photos. very historical, moneyed families barbours, ewarts, hilden mill bleachers green. covers all over, down by the church ,lagan canal opening. extends to moss road harmony hill belsize road. if you like history as i do it's great couldn't put it down. anyone else come across it very new so should be around? good luck tom

Re: lambeg book

Tom,

I love history, especially about Lisburn & surrounding countryside. As Lambeg was a favourite cycling area when I was a teenager, I must hunt out the one you mention, for a read of familiar places & memories.

When visiting Lisburn, my first race is to the booksellers or Museum for history or factual books of the town etc.

I got a present of one called Parishes of County Antrim 11 1832-8, good information in it too.

Pat

pat
the book is new and should be readily available. it was printed by
colourpoint books 21 jubilee road newtownards ph 028 9182 6339. i like local history as you do. i used to spend a lot ot time in lambeg as a young person. my father's family came from green lane beside the bleachers footy ground and every winter saturday we watched the match. after the match the grownups disappeared into the hut there to the guiness and we younger ones were all over the place. on sundays i used to visit aunt and uncle but mostly for the lovely walk down the line. lovely memories. hope you get the book. tom

Tom,

Thanks for the info. I shall certainly look out for that book.

Greenhill was another of my favourite places, my friend's grandmother lived there & we used to visit her, but I forget her name. My friend's name was Bell, but it was her Mother's mother who lived in a little row of cottages there. Very picturesque.

Pat

Johnny McCabe from Greenhill was a boss in No4 Twisting and a friend of my dad. As a boy I remember going to McCabes house once with my dad. Johnny later moved to Crafton Cresent Bridge St Hilden . About 55 years ago one Sunday evening I was playing there on the wrought iron railings , slipped and fell and was hanging impaled from the bottom row of spikes. Mr Adair who lived there also lifted me down from the spike which had gone through my left knee and Johnny McCabe drove me to the Infirmary as he was one of the very few people who owned a car then. Tommy Just had a shop facing the Infirmary and my aunts and dad when visiting stopped there and bought me Mars. That was a luxury in those days.
donald

Donald,

Did you ever have any after effects of that knee injury.?

PAT

Pat
Donald,

Did you ever have any after effects of that knee injury.?

PAT

Pat
Thank goodness nothing was seriously injured. My Guardian Angel must have been holding his hand over me
donald

Donald,

Or as my Grannie used to say "You had somebody's prayers about you."

Pat

just as an addendum to the lambeg book talk. the final chapter is on hilden, very interesting, pictures of the terrace houses down to the mill gate now gone i had friends lived there the school but also the barbours. and their house now the brewery.
now, they expanded into america and had two huge mills in new jersey turn of the century called grand street mill?? and spruce street mill??? so somehow those mill names ended up in low road? so i wonder how the names emigrated so long afterwards to the low road.? useless information to most , but i lived in spruce street so it made me wonder.? small world tom

Just as an addendum to the discussion on Gilbert Watson's book on Lambeg, he has recently written another on the history of McLaughlin and Harvey. For anyone interested in the history of the construction industry in Ireland, its a great buy at £15.

My Lambeg connection - born in River Road 1946, moved to Moss Road 1955, first married home Woodland Gardens, off Moss Road 1974. Lambeg Primary School at Tullynacross - very happy days.

Merrill

I have just finished reading that book. I have been sitting with it in the evenings with my magnifying glass on the pictures when there is nothing good on tele. I would love to take it with me on a mission. Just me and it doing the walks (especially river walk to Seymour Hill which I used to do when I was 16, and haven't done since.) Remembering what is there, and remembering what used to be there. It is a great book, I love it, and will look out for the new one next time I am home (hopefully July).

I LIVED ON RIVER RD WHEN I WAS ABOUT 3 OR 4 YR OLD IN A BIG OLD HOUSE BY THE RIVER FIRST OPENING ON LEFT DOWN FROM THE MAIN RD WHERE THE ORANGE HALL IS ,OUR FAMILY WAS CALLED MC WILLIAMS,ELEVEN OF US, LATE 1940;MY DAD USED TO BE GOALKEEPER FOR LOCAL TEAM HE WAS CALLED JOHN, WORKED AT HARLAND WOLF UNTIL HE HAD BAD ACCIDENT WITH LEGS ENDED HIS GOALKEPPING, DID YOUR FAMILY KNOW THE BUSTARDS ON RIVER RD OR THE BINGHAMS AT THE TOP RD. EVERYBODY KNEW US, I REMEMBER A YOUNG CHILD BEING DROWNED IN THE RIVER WHO LIVED IN A LITTLE BUNGALOW ON THE LEFT AS YOU COME UP TOWARDS LAMBEG,MAIN RD. I LOVED LIVING THERE,LOVELY PEOPLE,MY LITTLE HEAVEN IAM 68 NOW LIVING IN BHAM.

HELLO MERRIL; YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP ME; I LIVED ON RIVER RD ALSO THE SAME TIME YOU WAS BORN , I WAS ABOUT 3 YRS OLD, IREMEMBER IT LIKE YESTERDAY,WE LIVED IN ON THE LEFT AS YOU GO DOWN FROM THE MAIN RD ,YOU COME TO A LANE WITH 2 BIG OLD HOUSES ON THE CORNER I THINK OUR HOUSE WAS NO2 MIGHT BE WRONG NEIGHBOUR WAS CALLED MRS BOYD I THINK HAD CHICKENS AND a PEACOCK OUR NAME IS MC WILLIAMS,4SISTERS 4BROTHERS ISOBEL,IRENE,MARY,ENA,DAVID,JOHN,[TWINS]ARTHUR,ALBERT,NEIL WHO CAME LATER ON,DO YOU KNOW THE BUSTARD FAMILY WHOL LIVED NEAR THE TOP OF RIVER RD,TWO SONS CALLED BILLY AND STANLEY,LOOKED AFTER US A LOT,EVERYBODY DID IN LAMBEG,LOVELY PEOPLE, NEVER FORGET THEM AS WE WERNT WELL 0FF AS YOU CAN IMANIGE,AS YOU WERE ONLY A BABY THEN YOUR OLDER FAMILY MUST KNOW US, THE REASON IAM ASKING IS IVE FOUND SOMEONE NAMED SHANNON LIVING IN MELBOURNE AUS.TRYING TO CONTACT HER BROTHERS AS SHE NAMED ALBERT AND DAVID MC WILLIAMS LIVING IN LAMBEG THE SAME TIME AS US HER NAME IS FREDA MC WILLIAMS 86 YRS OLD WHEN MESSAGE PUT ON WEB,DIDNT LEAVE WEB ADDRESS,,I DONT KNOW IF THERE WAS ANY OTHER MC WILLIAMS IN LAMBEG AT THAT TIME BUT IT SEMMS VERY STRANGE TO ME AS IVE NO KNOWN SISTER CALLED FREADA AND WITH TWO BROTHERS NAMED SAME AS MINE SEEMS STRANGE, HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME,YOU NEVER KNOW ALL THE BEST, BY THE WAY IVE LIVED IN BHAM WEST MIDLANDS LAST 50 YRS CHEERS ARTHUR

Hi Thomas, Just wondering if you are related to Samuel and Jane McCabe married in Lisburn cathedral in 1914. They lived at Fort Street, Low Road Lisburn and had 9 children!

Merrill, I wonder if you knew Hugh & Tilly Dawe who lived in Woodland Gardens both now deceased. Hughie was my uncle. Mauri

I'm a sucker for these old names from long ago. I knew Billy and Stanley Bustard, and even vaguely remember their young sister, Emma, though she never knew me/ I had not the slightest idea where they lived.

hello yvonne,
i'm sure i'd be related in some way?. there's a lot of mccabes around lambeg ,hilden, drumbeg, low road area. i think there were brothers came from tyrone turn of the century when hilden mill opened, i visited a lovely little church in country tyrone where my grandparents were married, she was a weaver, and grandfather gave his address as lambeg. but he must have moved there with his brothers and worked for years in the bleaching in lambeg and lived in green lane adjacent the bleachers football ground. many a happy saturday i spent there as a boy.
good luck tom

Hi Pat

All around Lambeg , available on Amazon £9.99

Hope all are well in Co Clare !

Regards!
Tommy

Tom & all,

I have the Lambeg Book bought in Lisburn & still open it to enjoy great memories of long ago. Greenhills, the High Bridge at the Lagan, Lambeg Bridge for tyrsts, Simpson's Farm & the Lonies for cycling with the boyfriend, forbidden of course in those days. No fraternising with the "other side" but we, as young teenagers ignored this, but kept on the safe side & when in Lisburn met INSIDE the Picture House, in case someone saw us going in together. Cover of darkness coming out to walk home together.

Great book, a piece of history, but the ordinary lives are not told as we tell it here. I met my Lambeg boyfriend once in a shop & he said "It is a long time since we met" but we were as easy with each other as if it was only yesterday. I think he is still alive & well & we had some good times together before reality set us apart.!

Story of young lives then in Lisburn & environs, but then that was the norm & thankfully we are all friends still & learn by mistakes. As the old folk used to say to us "You will have plenty of things to fight & argue about when you get married, without religion being one of them."

Maybe they were right who knows now.?????Pat

pat,
i'm glad you got the book and enjoy it as i did.
still take it down from bookcase and look at pictures and a leaf through now and again, but end up feeling very nostalgic, and want to go out and get a plane ticket.
actually thinking of it next year,and will probably, as you kindly got transport information,fly to dublin and bus to belfast [stopping by request at lisburn]it's a pleasant plan for me to think about
good luck tom

Tom, when you come over next year, don't. forget your "top coat"

I just added the book to the Lisburn Amazon store - you can find it here http://lisburn.com/shop/lisburn-amazon-shop.html (we get a small commission if you follow the link to buy something from the store - helps with hosting costs!)

Darryl

My mum is Emma McNally nee bustard from River road, had quite a few aunts and uncles as they were big family only Bob, mum, Phyllis, Molly and nan left. Mum still lives just off River road and is now almost 87 yrs old and still entertains us with stories of her childhood.

Hi Arthur
My daddy is Stanley Bustard, he passed away in 2009.

Hi Maggie, Your Mother's name wouldn't be Helen by any chance and lived in Smithfield,also had a brother called Jackie killed in action in Korea and went to Lisburn Central school.????. Mauri

Hi, my mum Emma Bustard had a cousin Helen and Jackie who was killed in Korea. Her brother John died during 2nd world war

It's great to see some new names coming onto the Forum. That's what we need. ope it continues.

I bought this book for my mother-in-law who was raised in Mount- pleasant Farm, Tullynacross. She had many happy memories of the area. Having great fun (!) untangling the many branches of the family tree given the connections to Lambeg, Tullynacross, Lisnatrunk, etc.

Graham, What's the Title of the book ?

Sorry Graham I have it now ,The Title

I was born 1944 at Lockview Lisnatrunk and moved to Hilden 1949 after our mother´s death to live with our paternal grandparents.I remember the lockkeeper at Scotts lock John McPolin and the lighters moving up and down the canal with the horses pulling them on the towpath.
donald

1 2