Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: lambeg book

Like your self Donald I well remember the lighters as a kid, my Mum worked in Glenmore and I was minded by a relation Bob Duffy a 1st War Veteran and he would have walked me down the line and if lucky we would have hopped on a lighter and got a lift back to John Mc Polin Locks, and in those days I never remember him mentioning the war even though years later with the computer at hand I was able to find that he was wounded by a bit of shrapnel to his throat and he ended up on a hospital ship were he was patched up and a cousin later told me with in the last couple of years that she had the piece of shrapnel that Bob had given her many years before . Bob later got a job as caretaker in the Hilden Club down Victory Street,

Ted
I remember Tom Dornan from Hilden as the caretaker there in the 60s. His son Patsy was a hairdresser in Eddie Logues in Bridge Street
donald

donald
Ted
I remember Tom Dornan from Hilden as the caretaker there in the 60s. His son Patsy was a hairdresser in Eddie Logues in Bridge Street
donald
remember a little man called tommy gore who used to deliver papers to my grannie in lamington place he lived on the corner house just before the stagecoach inn

If I remember correctly Gores ran a little shop in a thatched cottage between Lambeg and Derryaghy in a Cul De Sac which was once part of the Belfast Rd before it was straightend to cut out curves. Tommy Gore rode about on a bike. The only newspaper delivery service I remember in the Lowroad/ Hilden area was the Richard family. Pete Richard was also a bookies runner, he came on Saturdays to the Buildings in Hilden and collected the bets and paid out those who had won the Saturday previously.
donald

Donald, Bob Duffy must have been working in the club in the 50s , Regarding Tommy Gore didn't he ride a motorcycle with a sidecar to deliver the papers ?

Donald, I was born in 1946. I went to William Foote and I remember a young lad who had been born with one hand. His surname was McPolin and I have never run across the name again in 60 plus years, until your post.
Any chance this was the same family..anyone else know?
Allen.

Allen
Donald, I was born in 1946. I went to William Foote and I remember a young lad who had been born with one hand. His surname was McPolin and I have never run across the name again in 60 plus years, until your post.

Any chance this was the same family..anyone else know?

Allen.
Allen

There was a McPolin family who lived in Grand street but they all attended Hilden school and all were totally healthy. The only person with one hand who I remember was Paddy Stoupes but he was much older as he went to school with my dad in the 20s

donald

I remember Tommy Gore. When the council houses along Milltown Road Derriaghy were built in about 1963 we lived in one. Tommy Gore lived just up the road with his daughter in one. I used to travel home on the bus from Belfast with her, but I can't remember her name.

This talk about the Lambeg book has awakened my interest, just ordered one on eBay, looking forward to it
donald

donald
This talk about the Lambeg book has awakened my interest, just ordered one on eBay, looking forward to it
donald
Still waiting on book delivery, every day I have a wee juke in the letterbox but am disappointed.

Monday is Rosenmontag here and Tuesday is the last day of Fasching (Carnival) then the 6 weeks Fasting up to Lent begins on Ash Wednesday. It is also a day to enjoy here with fish being sold everywhere in restuarants as tradation. Still remember being taught that it was obligation in the Catholic Church to receive Communion between Ash Wednesday and Trinity Sunday. Wonder if that is still practiced?
donald

Lambeg book arrived yesterday, lots of intersting facts about thje region, can only reccomend it.
donald

Donald ,I enjoyed the book very much ,it was very interesting how all the large industrial family members married through each other you would think they were arranged marriages, the photograph of Forthill House caught my eye which is now the school and then was the residence of one of the Barbour family ,during the war the estate was an army camp and the house was the officers quarters I remember the Belgian army installed there also a Welsh regiment spent a period in it ,our house was next to the camp and overlooked the Nissan huts which housed squaddies ,we always referred to the estate as Healey's and the orchard as well which we regularly visited it was attended by a watchman named Crone who made us take flight on numerous occasions, great days the innocence of youth!Regards Ted

Ted
I remember the huts facing Victory St. before the new houses were built, they were also army huts during the WW11 I was told and then they were allocated to families. One of them was a shop where we used to buy fireworks at Halloween.
donald

I remember them well they faced on to the Low Rd , there was a shop in the complex and I remember Kevin and Tommy Corken living there with there family, also John Roy who drove either for Gordon's or Barbour's and Tommy Castles and his family to name a few Donald its hard to take in now that those x army huts were better than the accommodation these family's were living in previous, and this was seen as an upgrade,

donald
Lambeg book arrived yesterday, lots of intersting facts about thje region, can only reccomend it.
donald
Checked Amazon just now and the book is as expensive as €45!!! I got a bargain on ebay for €10,20, second hand but in excellent condition. My Scottish anscestry ( McDonald) keeps coming through!
donald

Just had a "blast from the past" reading the Lambeg Book. During and/or after WW11 didn´t US soldiers occupy "the chains"? I seem to remember hearing that there was air raid shelters built behind it in the garden. Another story was that it once was a Monastray occupied by Nuns?

1 2