Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Mary Ann Gallagher, Nan Phillips, Herbie Phillips and Bill Dalzell

Ann, to add to the debate, I think you are right! (I wonder why I think that.......)

Ann, why don't you sing your loved one a wee song or two. "Oh, my darling, my long love, you will never older grow". He might sing it back to you in a duo, then just think, a new double act to entertain the family!

Liz, along with all the other things that are in decline, my voice is no longer what it was.

Whereas I had a nice, singing voice when younger, something resembling a croak comes out when I try to sing nowadays.

Who said, "Age makes a fool of us all".?

Dominic
Get that stick out!

Dabbler, he wouldn't dare.

Anyhow, as youngest is off today and my kitchen has been taken over by horse-riding on TV, followed no doubt by football matches, I have made an appointment for a shampoo and blow dry. Mind you, before I go, I made a pot of Irish Stew, fool that I am, so I won't feel guilty while traipsing around the town later.

Men and sports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you all later when I'm beautified (well, my hair anyhow).

Ann

The only good thing about getting old is you don't care anymore. Be yourself! It doesn't matter if you can't sing, if it is inside you it has to get out. Sing anyway!! I can't sing really, but I sing going down the street if not too many people are about. And in the market place on a Thursday when the wee man with the record stall is playing an Irish number, I sing AND DANCE! My husband used to be ashamed of me but I think he has got over that now. He didn't manage to change me anyhow. And when he sees me with my sisters, well, he thinks I am not too bad really.

Now I think you and Dominic could be fantastic in a duet.................

Ann,

I have been very busy this last week or so as firstly we were in Kilkee to enjoy the good weather & as the Internet reception is very poor, did not bring my computer.

Then Joe went off to Punchestown Races with eldest son & daughter, as it was Kieran's birthday treat, so I spent some time in the garden planting flowers with Deirdre, who stayed here with me.

I am pleased to report that the first swallows arrived on 21st April, the blackbirds are building their nests in the hedges & the grass is growing at last. Incidentally "Birds in their little nests agree"....

The rain arrived this evening, glad for the flowers, that needed needed watering. Hope it will be gone before the Canadian visitor arrives on the 10th May.

Bought a little Child Of Prague statuette today, to leave out next week for good weather. Never fails.

Pat

I have just come across this sight and see my relatives mentioned Billy and Maureen Mckitterick, they were my grandparents, they actually had another daughter Rosaleen, who is my mum. I would be delighted to hear from anyone else that knew them and I know my mum would too.
The Gallaghers were cousins of my mums to Christine who is looking them, please get in touch

Billy and Maureen McKitterick ( if they are the same family Barney is talking about ) lived in Bridge Street Hilden, Billy worked for the Electric Board in Lisburn. They had 2 children, Terry and Shelia who must be in their early / middle 60s now. There was another relation Rabbie McKitterick who was a foreman painter in Hilden mill who also lived in Bridge Street Hilden. Terry served an apprenticeship in Hilden mill and later became a self employed painter. He married a girl from Lurgan named McAreavy. I remember meeting Mrs Maureen McKitterick in Carlingford about 35 years ago and she told me when my parents first married they rented a room from her in Hilden until they got a house at Lisnatrunk.[/quote]

Donald the billy and Maureen mc kitterick you mention are my grandparents, they had another daughter rosaleen who is my mum. Would love to hear any more you knew of them

Christine,
If you haven't already come across it, there is a photograph in my book 'Lisburn - Life in the County Down' page 125 showing Mrs. Hamilton (senior) and her daughter Minnie Phillips standing under the arch in Sloan Street.

This photo is also on Lisburn.com website - photographs of old Lisburn. Hope this is of help.
Mavis

http://lisburn.com/oldphotographs/Photo_pages/sloan-street-arch-50s.html

Lisa, I remember Maureen McKitterick. She was very friendly with our next door neighbour, Annie Ferris, and was round our way often. She knew my parents and myself. She was a nice woman.

Sheila is alive and well and I think lives in Grand Street. I had forgotten about Rosaleen, who is younger, but I now remember her well.

She'll hardly remember me but give her my regards anyhow.

mavis, I'm pleased to see you're still alive. I have your book, a gift from my sister, and I still love looking at old pictures, including on the website. Although I never met you, you obviously knew many people with whom I was familiar. Apparently, my friends and even my family here in England have difficulty understanding my accent when I talk quickly - which is often. I, of course, think I am talking BBC English.
i enjoy too reading these names on here, and am sad to see how seldom I responded to some 'posters', particularly as even some of those are no longer with us.

Lisa
I don´t remember your mum, Terry and Shelia come to mind, the family lived in the 50s / 60s in Bridge Street Hilden. Billy worked then for the Electric Board, he died around 1963 if I remember correctly. Welcome to the forum
donald

Ann,

Was Sheila married to Brendan Greenaway, the barman in Caldwell's.?

I think they separated later and Brendan went to England, as Sheila lived on her own, in Stevenson's old house in Leamngton Place.

Sheila worked in Barbour's. A nice quiet girl. She never remarried as far as I know, but I could be wrong,I have been away 40 years from Lisburn. How time slips away!!!

Pat

Pat, I believe Sheila was married to Brendan Greenaway. She may have lived on Stevenson's old house at one time, but she now lives in Grand Street.

I had forgotted all about Sheila she used to have drink some saturday nights in Laverys bar Chapel Hill ,Joe Phillips and her used to have a yarn with me about old times past,I am not sure now if Joe was related
to the Phillips from the lane,though i knew Sheila and Brendan had parted
I am sure Sheila was a daughter of Kathleen (nee) Phillips and Jimmy McAllister who i knew well also when i worked in Hilden Mill

Barney, I remember your friend LEO Phillips, though it would be nearly sixty-five years since I saw him. He was a school friend of Jim Spence of Market Street

beano you and i went to sloan st school with nan and herbie phillips and jim hamilton,herbie worked with me in altona.
hugh spence my wifes uncle also worked in altona.
the hamilton boys and hazel lived a few doors up from me the father raced pidgeons am i correct beano

Barney, No, Sheila was not Jimmy McAllister's daughter. His daughter was called Ann and she worked in Barbour Threads when I was there - we shared the same office for a while. Ann lives with her family and mother in East Down View, almost in the spot where our old house was.

Sheila's maiden name was McKitterick and she came from Hilden.

Joe Phillips was some sort of far-out friend of Sheila's. Joe died some years ago, but he and Sheila were good friends.

Right on Gregg St.boy, nothing wrong with your memory. The Hamiltons were a little bit younger than us, I do remember them well, their Granny lived in Mercer St.. Hugh Spence was a close buddy of Jimmy McClean another Forum contributor, whose pictures on Facebook are brilliant (thanks Jimmy). Nice to see you posting H.C. Love to J.C.

Beano

I think the Sheila McKitterick talked about was the friend I had when I lived in 6 Well Lane, over the County Down. She came to visit her aunt (I well remember the lady, but I cannot recall her name, but she lived round the corner in Hancock Street just opposite the Lagan). Sheila was about my age with fair hair, a cheeky grin and a mouthful of chewing gum! To her I was Betty Thompson, I wonder does she remember me?

Liz

Liz, that sounds like Sheila McKitterick (as was). Next time I meet her, if I don't forget, I will ask if she remembers you.

What are you doing with yourself this weather? Have you moved house yet? Is the pastor still making music?

Keep posting. We miss you.

Hello Ann

Thanks for answering my posting, I did answer,but one of those things, it didn't go through and was lost forever. We moved house four years ago, only across the city, so the same place. We had been in the old house about 24 years and it was a wrench for me to leave, but Pat couldn't look forward to living in a three storey house when he is getting older. So here we are. I am still very active in my small silk painting business, designing and painting scarves and pictures too. It keeps me busy but I won't do it forever, I may well change to water colours in the near future. The Pastor is well, he is working part time in another church and we both are enjoying it, part time is much better than full time regarding church work, and he still finds time to do concerts mainly charity concerts playing jazz. He did one in the local Cathedral at Christmas which was very well attended.

As always I enjoy the exiles very much, connects me with my home, even though the exiles are far flung all over the world. Hope to be back as usual in August.

liz

Liz, hope to see you in August.

Do you watch An Island Parish on TV? It's a very good programme, although it maybe coming to an end shortly. This time it's all about the people who live on the small island of Sark. (the smallest of the Channel Islands). Very interesting. At present they are trying to find a minister for the Anglican Church. The drawback might be that his post is unpaid.

Sheila was a daughter of Billy and Maureen Mckitterick. Ann McAllister was a daughter of Kathleen and Jimmy

Did Shelia have a brother named Terry who served an apprenticeship in Hilden mill as a Painter?
donald

Donald, Yes Sheila has a brother called Terry. I see Sheila any time I go to Lisburn. She always has a word for everyone she meets. She is a lovely friendly girl. Next time I see her I will ask her about her brother.Pam

1 2