Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Soccer Scout

Who remembers Fred Steadman??? I think he was called. He was a soccer scout for some English football clubs and could be seen at most Lisburn football matches walking around, observing and making notes about promising footballers.
Donald

Re: Soccer Scout

I Mind Freddie very well he was also involved with greyhounds,he lived with his brother in Bachelors Walk and would always be seen at the local boys football matches

Hi Donald, I was a very good friend of Fred and a lot of stories have been told about him,some true,but mostly fabricated. Fred was a scout for Glentoran from the days of the Lisburn Riggies in the early 30s. He had no weekly wage and was paid on delivery of a special talent,but if that talent blossomed and finished up in England, then Fred received a small per - centage of the transfer fee. Fred worked with me for 6 months and he related some great stories to me. He was the Pied Piper of Lisburn with would-be football youngsters clinging to his coat tails and kicking empty tin cans off the sidepad to display their soccer C.Vs A perpetual CUP or SHIELD should be donated in memory of Fred and played for each year. No man deserves it more. Cheers Brendan

Brendan / Barney
In the 50s no football match, either in Barbour Playing fields or Hilden Rec was complete until Fred appeared and when he flashed his little notebook then speculation ran high who he was interested in. Like you say there should be some sort of memorial cup or league named after him
donald

Hi Brendan and Donald,

I agree 100% about a tribute to Freddy, he was instrumental in taking at least three young Co.Down men to the Oval. There may have been others, the ones I remember best are, Bertie Neill, Matt Crothers and Alex Elder.

Beano

I would suggest that Steadman's greatest signing was Jimmy McIlroy from Lambeg who went to the Glens and then to Burnley where he is idolised to this day.

He was probably the finest inside forward along with Peter Doherty to grace the Irish international team.
His understanding with Danny Blanchflower was almost on a physic level.

Alex Elder also went to Burnley..

Barney
did Bertie Neill go to Scotland, then back to Bangor?

Bertie Neill is my cousin. He played for the Tottenham Hotspurs.

Donald,

You never know how near you came to being related to a famous footballer. Ask your Aunt in America about it, she was a lovely girl going out with a budding famous footballer, but unfortunately conditions in Nr. Ireland spoiled many a good match.
As I know from personal experience as she is the same age as myself.

Pat

would Fred have had anything to do with that "Great Goalie" from Grove st. who went on to play for Blackburn Rovers? Anyone remember him.

G.I.

Would you be thinking of a goalie named Matier.? I heard my Father & uncles talking about him. Brendan would know all about him & tell his story. A lot of good footballers came from Low Rd. & Lambeg, not so many from the Co. Down.!!!!!!!. What a club Hilden Rec.

Pat

gerry matier i worked with him a long time ago him and another fellow called joe were shuttering joiners or so they said,joe was a dillutie joiner

PAT, I am awaiting delivery of a reconditioned scrapbook detailing the career of GERRY. It is very informative and I imagine that Dabbler will be the most surprised and appreciative reader in the Forum NUF SAID. Cheers Brendan.

Gerry had a son Kevin a joiner i believe he died suddenly when very young

That is correct Barney, Kevin was just 34 when he died, Gerry also had two daughters as well, I am one of them.

Hi G1 I mind Kevin going with a girl very good looking she was, cannot remember her name now, when we used to go to the dances in Hendys minibus Hendy was married to Hessi Moore,it was her 2nd marriage cannot recall her former husbands name now may have been Fraser but he was named in earlier posts by Frank i think,Terry (Bunny) Crossey ring a bell with you G1, Kevin and he were pals maybe Brendan Mulholland Gerald McGurnaghan also just can,t get my memory round that time

G1

Are you the daughter in Australia.?

Pat?

Brendan Matier
PAT, I am awaiting delivery of a reconditioned scrapbook detailing the career of GERRY. It is very informative and I imagine that Dabbler will be the most surprised and appreciative reader in the Forum NUF SAID. Cheers Brendan.

Kind words , Brendan, but you could be right. I really do enjoy hearing about people I remember from 'my previous life'. And, if he went to 'The Boys', and was their fastest runner, I've guessed right.

Dabbler
Brendan Matier

Kind words , Brendan, but you could be right. I really do enjoy hearing about people I remember from 'my previous life'. And, if he went to 'The Boys', and was their fastest runner, I've guessed right.[/quote
thats Gerry Murray i guess mind him very well we had a jumping thing him and i in the Big Hall hope he see,s this to repeat how it went back then

Hi Pat, no I am the one that you know, clue is in the initial. Hope you are well.

Hi Barney, could the girl in question be Maura McConnell, Kevin was married to her, sadly Maura died suddenly last year,her family used to live on the Longstone beside Gerry McDonalds shop. There were two houses right next door to what used to be I believe, the "Swiss embroidery" factory, or possibly Caldwells bar. The other guys names aren't familiar, as Kevin was quite a bit older than me, I don't recall any of his friends other than Brian Lavery.

Dabbler, You're way off. Answer me; Which English team do you support? Brendan

Brendan
I am, of course, interested in all things Arsenal. I was expecting a Lisburn connection. I watched live many times at Highbury both Sammy Nelson and Pat Rice of Northern Ireland. Some great memories of those days.

I'm off in a minute, but thinking about football, and Gerry; I can never hear The Wild Rover without thinking of Gerry Armstrong. He was belting it out in a hotel room after going through in the World Cup, 1982 I believe. I wouldn't have swapped him for John MacCormack. There yiz go, bringin' a lump to my throat again. Goodnight and may your gods go with you.

That's the answer I wanted, be in touch later. Brendan

Hi Barney, could the girl in question be Maura McConnell, Kevin was married to her, sadly Maura died suddenly last year,her family used to live on the Longstone beside Gerry McDonalds shop. There were two houses right next door to what used to be I believe, the "Swiss embroidery" factory, or possibly Caldwells bar. The other guys names aren't familiar, as Kevin was quite a bit older than me, I don't recall any of his friends other than Brian
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is correct now i recall you mention a name and it all falls into place for me,everything is as you say it was, my cousin Billy Bell ran that wee factory.
Yes Desi Caldwell had the bar next door to the factory, Desi Paddy Swail and Mick McKinney used to play snooker for money then Paddy lay down till it got serious then he cleaned them, sorry to hear about Maura.so young like Kevin to be taken away so quick,i remember them well going to to Portadown St Marys,the LCA in Lurgan also,what did i do right to be still here my God im stuck for an answer

Hi G1. I know now who you are and Pat should too. Saw you in town a couple of weeks ago. You're as young and good-looking as ever. How do you do it? Keep posting.

Hi Ann, knew that you would catch on sooner or later, might see you at M@S some day sprawled out on one of those comfy sofas, hope you all enjoy the "reading" on the 3rd

Hi Barney

I am Gerry's other daughter and G1's sister (in Australia). I remember Bunny Crossey and Gerald McGurnaghan. We also used to go to the dances in Lurgan and Portdown in Hendy's mini bus, there was Evelyn and Maura McConnell, Noreen Blakely and myself.

Hi G1 & pat S,

Two more sisters on the Forum, Welcom G1.

You bring back some good memories of our times in Barbour's. Those were the days, some of wine & roses, some others "hairy" when things went wrong & an important customer waiting abroad.

Do you ever think of those days, glad you remember me.? BUT then again ccould you ever forget.? Pat

Pat.s was Noreen Blakley a relative of Hubert Blakley who I knew well...frank sunshine coast

1 2