Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Soccer Scout

Hi Pat, yes I think of those days many times, how lucky we were to have such a good boss, don't know how you stuck us, we were obnoxious teenagers who always knew best.

You should tell them all about the time Hendy's mini bus broke down, somewhere outside of Lisburn, and you all had to walk home. Kevin insisted that you removed your high heels so as not to waken everyone in Tonagh at 5.00 in the morning

Pat S, I knew Bunny Crossey too. He was another Low Roader, as was Hopper Rooney and the late Dermot Dornan. Remember walking down the road with them on my way home from the Tech.

Gerald McGurnaghan died about a year ago. I see wee Noreen Blakely every week. She's a great girl, a good laugh and I like to tease her about her shoes. She wears great big high heels.

Sisters, Sisters, who'd have one???????

Hi G1, that day you saw me sprawled all over a comfy sofa in M&S was in the bad old days before my hip replacement. I couldn't stand for any length of time then. Isn't it funny how you can get used to pain and discomfort?

Of course, now I'm running about like a spring chicken!!!!!!!!!!!! (well, maybe a broiler).

G1, stop crawling!!!!!!!!!!

Frank,

Ann speaks to Noreen every Sunday after Mass, she will answer that one.

Enjoyed the one about the apron. Very true. I still wear one cleaning & cooking. Very useful when peeling onions.

Pat

G1.
Hi Pat, yes I think of those days many times, how lucky we were to have such a good boss, don't know how you stuck us, we were obnoxious teenagers

G1,

But what you all forgot was that I knew best.
Pat

Pat S
Hi Barney

I am Gerry's other daughter and G1's sister (in Australia). I remember Bunny Crossey and Gerald McGurnaghan. We also used to go to the dances in Lurgan and Portdown in Hendy's mini bus, there was Evelyn and Maura McConnell, Noreen Blakely and myself.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I remember Noreen she was Gerrys (China) sister,Gerry died a few years back,he was involved in the Greyhounds with my nephew Tom Fegan i think Gerrys father was Charlie but not sure,its funny when you think how this thread started out about Freddie Steadman ,now its into dances,i doubt if Freddie was ever at a dance in his life

Brendan,I knew a Tom Fegan who lived up the steps in Pump Lane,but he was older than us,what connection? Frank

frank stewart
Brendan,I knew a Tom Fegan who lived up the steps in Pump Lane,but he was older than us,what connection? Frank

My sister Ellen(Lala)married Tom ,both dead this years,they had 11 children 6 boys 5 girls

0 married Tom Fegan they had maybe 11 of a
6 boys 5 girls

Hi Frank

I'm not too sure if they are/were related or not.

Brendan Matier
That's the answer I wanted, be in touch later. Brendan

Brendan

I hope you and your family had a happy Christmas, and that the coming year is better than the one we are leaving.

Brendan:
Kathleen Shorrock wrote this:
The cottage at 102 Revidge Road was occupied by a Mrs. Crank when we bought 104. She was a widow from the 1914-1918 war. After Mrs. Crank’s death this cottage was occupied by Fred and Beatrice Lodge when they were first married. He was from Lodge’s Nursery which was at the opposite cornet to Fergusons Nursery on Preston New Road. Gerry Matier and his wife also lived there. Gerry was a Blackburn Rovers goalkeeper, he had previously lodged with Mrs. Grimshaw on Lynwood Road. Another Rovers player who stayed there was Billy Tyson. My maternal grandfather, Thomas Isherwood, who had the last Hansom cab in town, came to us for tea on Saturday towards the end of the 1930’s. My mother and I used to go to town after tea and look around the market. On our return home our shop was usually full of noise and smoke. My Dad, Andrew Grimshaw, sometimes Harry Greenwood and others were all discussing the afternoon’s game at Blackburn Rovers, along with two or three of the players. My grandfather who wasn’t a football fan would sit in the living room playing draughts with Charlie Calladine who played inside left for the Rovers. He and his wife Joan lived in Leamington Road.

Dabbler I remember my dad (Gerrie Matier) and mum, talking about living in Revidge Road, our brother Kevin was born in Blackburn also. Happy new year.

Hello, I realise it is a long time since this subject was on the forum but I just stumbled on it recently. Since doing family history I have realised that Fred Steadman late of Bachelors Walk was my granny's cousin. I would love to hear from anyone who knew him and the family - stories good or bad(!) would be great to hear. Alice

Barney seems to be the one who could answer. I think he also knew Edmond Coulter, another scout, about whose death I was sad to learn on here.

yes i knew freddie he lived with his brother in bachelors walk,he had a greyhound now and then,maybe he got them from norman brown from waterloo road area or maybe carsen archibold the vet,he also knew basil blackshaw the artist seen him now and then at dungannon dog track with basil,i knew he was a football scout but not a lot more did i know about freddie apart from that

My dad lived in Wilson Street and worked in Hilden Mill - I taught in the Tech and met Gerry many times in the Wallace Park - I would like to meet you sometime Many Thanks Eddie Mateer

Dabbler
Barney seems to be the one who could answer. I think he also knew Edmond Coulter, another scout, about whose death I was sad to learn on here.

yes i knew edmond coulter very well, his father johnny was reared a few doors from me in ridgeway street

Eddie Mateer
My dad lived in Wilson Street and worked in Hilden Mill - I taught in the Tech and met Gerry many times in the Wallace Park - I would like to meet you sometime Many Thanks Eddie Mateer

I remember an Eddie (Wudgie) Matier who was in Christ Church CLB at the same time as me, at that time he went to Friends School.....could you be the same Eddie or even a relative. My name is Billy Hanna (Beano) I live in St.Catharines Ontario Canada. Just Curious.....

Beano

I remember Fred a friend of my fathers, they grew up together. At the time when i was a young teenager, Fred was a scout for Burnley, discover from our lot Sammy Todd, Eric McCluskey, both played for N Ireland.
But i also remember Fred who was always willing to referee, our games.
He was a wonderful caring person with a great love for his sport.

Hi Brendan,
Just seen your post from many years ago. Hope you are still able to respond to this message.
Freddie Steadman scouted me and arranged for me to go to Burnley on trial August 1966. Unfortunately I came back homesick.
Freddie holds a special place in my life as he was responsible for me experiencing many things few 15 year olds get the chance to do.
I trained with the stars of Burnley first team on my first day playing 11 a side, spent 2 1/2 weeks chuming around with Ralph Coates who was a terrific human being, played 5 a side with Dave Thomas, Pete Jones, Willie Morgan, met Willie Irvine and had a long conversation with him at the Gawthorpe training ground.
Was in digs 118 Todmorden Road, Burnley with Ralph Coates, Len Kinsella and Willie Brown.
Burnley played Sheffield Utd first day of the 1966-67 season and I walked to the ground from the digs with Ralph via the entries of the row houses of Burnley and then fought our way through the crowds at the ground. Ralph then took me into the dressing room and introduced me individually to each member of the first team Adam Blacklaw, Alex Elder, Sam Todd, Brian O'Neill, Andy Lockhead etc. This was the first English game I ever seen live. Burnley won 4-0.
As you can see Freddie gave me special memories.
Can you tell me when Freddie died.
Brendan thanks for the opportunity to reminisce.

Tommy McAuley

1 2