Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Cordner family

Ref. this family the father was called Ben with sons Tommy and Gerald and daughter Maureen. Tommy was the one with the "wine" birthmark and me and him were pals for a long time as members of the boxing club. He was a great studier always seeking knowledge and trying to find ways to better himself. He was always very courteous and well mannered and he probably was the last person I spoke to from Lisburn before leaving for England in 1953.I am so sorry to hear of his death.
Does anyone know what job he did and of what and when he died.

Re: Cordner family

Billy, I knew the Cordners too. Maureen went to the Convent School although she was older than me. I knew Thomas because he used to visit the McManus family in Leamington Place. They lived just around the corner from me and I would speak to Thomas if I was passing the house.

I knew Gerald because we used to live a few doors from him and his wife and family in Roseville Estate in the Low Road.

I remember one day standing at the front door and Olive (his wife) came up the road. She asked me if I had seen her daughter Deborah. I replied that I hadn't but asked what age the child was. I always remember her telling me that she was 2 year old that day. She must have found the child because she is now married with a family.

Too much information as usual.

I would be surprised if Katie hadn't some details on Thomas Cordner and when he passed away. As I said in a previous post, I didn't even know he was dead.

Ann,
Did'nt know Tommy Cordner, but I know he was a prisoner officer in Long Kesh in the 70's, he was much older than me.Only really knew Maureen although older and Gerald as I said before, a very quiet fellow.

Katie

Re: Re: Cordner family

Hi Ann and Katie,

I knew the Cordner family fairly well, like Dabbler and myself they started their working life in the "Island Mill" Gerald the youngest one would be 69 now, Maureen would be about 71 and Thomas(Ben) if he had lived 73. In the mill everyone called Thomas, Ben, somehow I always called him by his proper name. Of all of them I would have said it was Thomas who was the quiet one,yes he was a boxer but he was also a very gentle person. Like you Ann, I didn't know he had passed on, I am truly sorry to hear that, Lisburn lost a gentleman

Beano

Hi Beano,

It is great to have you back on, I hope you are feeling much better, it must have been very hard for you not to be able to get too far, even in your home.

I was so sorry to hear of Ray McAleer, I cannot even imagine him a sergeant in the R.U.C. or any police force, he was such a gentle, nice bloke. I had'nt seen him for years.

I knew most of the lads in the Boys Brigade as it was up at the top of Barrack Street, (Christ Church Hall) but may I say all very innocently, some to talk to and some just to see, as I was a bit shy myself as Ann would tell you. Ha Ha.

Katie

Katie, you ARE joking of course!!!

Ann thank you for the info on the Cordiner family especially on Tommy - me and him was going to save the world when we were young!!!
Regards Gerald I believe he married an Olive Anderson ?
I went to Brownlee school with an Olive Anderson who lived at the bottom of Hill Street (when you turn left there was a small block of houses)cannot remember the name of it. I seem to recall there was a Smythe family who lived next door I think sons name was Eddie. Anyhow would that be the same Olive Anderson.
I just remembered there was a girl called Dinah Green who lived across the street who I was sweet on?

Hi Billy, haven't had a minute today so am only "on" now, before going to bed.

The Olive Anderson I remember lived in Barnsley's Row. She had an older sister. Yes, Olive married Gerald Cordner.

Billy,

Olive lived in Barnsley's Row, Dianh Green I believe married a Billy Abbot from the Low Road.

Olive had a sister I cannot remember her name.

Katie

'Night all' busy today, busy tomorrow as well. Hairdresser's in the morning, Grand Opera House in the afternoon, dinner afterwards.

My youngest grand-daughter did the first part of her 11+ today. Hope all the children feel better tonight after that first paper.

Writing group was small today but good. Nothing else strange.

Goodnight, sleep tight.

Billy,

Olive's sister may have been called Phyllis, maybe Dabbler would remember her. (but where is he)?

Katie

I am the nice of tommy cordner and Gerald my mum was Maureen. But passed away in January Of this year, she was 75, Thomas and gearld cordner are still alive don't no why posts as old as 07 say he died?? I last seen him last summer so no for a fact this was not right info

Billy Allen
Ref. this family the father was called Ben with sons Tommy and Gerald and daughter Maureen. Tommy was the one with the \\\"wine\\\" birthmark and me and him were pals for a long time as members of the boxing club. He was a great studier always seeking knowledge and trying to find ways to better himself. He was always very courteous and well mannered and he probably was the last person I spoke to from Lisburn before leaving for England in 1953.I am so sorry to hear of his death.
Does anyone know what job he did and of what and when he died.

Angela, I'm sorry to hear your mother has passed away. May she rest in peace.

Although a bit older than me, I remember Maureen at primary school. I don't think I saw much of her in later years. Did she still live in Lisburn until her death?

I saw Thomas a week or so ago in Lisburn, but he wouldn't know me. Gerald and his family were neighbours of ours for a short time when we first married. Nice family.

I am pleased that I stayed awake to read these, to me, very interesting posts. I am delighted to hear that Thomas Cordner is still alive, though surprised that he is only seventy three.
Billy Abbott? He would not remember me, but I recall that he was a close friend of Harold Spence, and I remember, in a dancehall in Lurgan, he was involved in an altercation in defence of the husband of Vera Lavery. Too much information, Ann?
It is, yes, quite exciting, to see comments from Billy Allen, who doesn
Goodnight Lisburn.'t remember me, and from Katie, who knows everyone from my youth, but of whom I, sadly, have no recollection.

Hi All,

First of all I am delighted that Thomas is alive and well, he will be 80 this year.
The Cordners..."One of my favorite mill families, Maureen was a Spinner so was her Mum, Gerald worked in the factory with Reggie Duffy and Thomas (Ben) worked with me in the Bundlng Dept.
These facts are from my mid teens,I hope they went on to greater things.

Beano

You'd think I would have something better to do, but here I am again, this time spotting the name of Eddie Smythe of Barnsleys Row. Eddie would barely have noticed me sitting on the stone steps at the top of his street, listening to his description of his sexual exploits, but I well remember sitting there, observing.

Dabbler, the late Vera's husband is still alive and well. I can well imagine he would have needed help in an altercation. He wasn't the strongest looking.

Coincidentally, another cousin of mine (from the other side of the family) is married to Walter's brother.

Dabbler, your lack of height gave you an advantage when you were young (and maybe later in life). Not the first time you have overheard conversations UNKNOWNST to the people involved. You see, everything in life can be put to advantage.

Ann
Dabbler, the late Vera's husband is still alive and well. I can well imagine he would have needed help in an altercation. He wasn't the strongest looking.

Coincidentally, another cousin of mine (from the other side of the family) is married to Walter's brother.

Wasn´t Vera´s husband from Kilwarin ? He worked in the Polishing Dept. in Hilden mill. If that is the same person his sister ( also called Vera ) lived in Magheralin but died some time ago
Last time I was in Miami someone was telling me he met her brother (Vera Lavery ) Gerald in a pub there
donald

Ann
In the case of Eddie Smythe, my presence was not (unbeknownst) to him. I was part of a listening group of boys. To indicate my exceptional memory, my mother, unbeknownst to Eddie or myself, was listening out of sight, and hit me with a strap, and forbade me ever to go near him again.
On the previous occasion, when my presence was ignored by a drunk female neighbour, she was telling my mother of a visit to a clinic, where she discovered, I believed, and still believe seventy years later, that she was NOT pregnant. Though my height has had huge influence on my life, it was not so on either of those occasions.
I did not really know Walter, so cannot answer Donald. Walter, who was once my 'corner man' when I sparred with, and was outreached and out-punched by Maurice Clark at the Quay boxing club, was told in that Lurgan dancehall to go and get a feed of steak before starting a row. Instead, Walter went and got Harold Spence and Billy Abbott, who jointly beat up the guy who said that to Walter. (I knew the beaten Lurgan man, and shared a few pints with him in England, long long ago.)

Donald, you're correct again. I didn't know the exact place but knew it was somewhere around Lurgan direction. Gerald is the only Lavery now left in Miami. I know he has a family there and I told before on the Forum of meeting his wife in Lisburn shortly before they emigrated. I think they had 3 small children at that time. Don't know if there were any additions after that.

Pushing it a bit, but did anyone else go to those Lurgan dances, and did anyone know wee powerfully built Danny McGlone?

I doubt it makes any difference, but Danny's name was McGeown, and, just for the record, he was not too terribly scarred by the broken glass to his face.

Dabbler, the only dances I was allowed to attend were in Sammy Osborne'e Dance Studio. I wonder did I miss out?

I remember 50 years ago herself and I were engaged to be married then and we attended a dance one Sunday evening in Glenavy Paroical hall. Father Kerr was the Parish priest then, he had been transferred from being principal at St. Malacy´s College Belfast to there. Why we can only surmise. Herself and I danced and wanted to sit down to rest. There was only one seat left so I sat and Phyllis sat on my lap. Father Kerr ( known as "the Patch " ) saw this and indicated with his hand with an upwards movement she was to remove herself from my lap. He maybe saw this as a mortal sin and wanted to warn me my eternal soul was in danger
donald

Ann -YES!

Dabbler, I suppose it's too late now to catch up on what I missed all those years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donald, no jiving eithr. My cousin was admonished for jiving in the Big Hall. I think it was something to do with the skirts swishing out and revealing undergarments.

If they were alive today, I wonder what they'd think?

"Anything goes".

Ann, ye can still dream - I do.

Re: Re: Cordner family

Tommy Cordner is alive and well at 83,had the pleasure of meeting him on the train yesterday,1,4,17

1 2