Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Jack McMaster the milkman etc etc

Who remembers Jack McMaster delivering milk with his horse pulled cart? Duncan,s chip shop? Sarah Morrow,s wee shop? Rickard,s newsagent? Dermot Dornan,s barber,s?
all from the Low Rd.
Donald

Re: Jack McMaster the milkman etc etc

I remember them all Donald. Will comment on a fuller basis later.

Re: Re: Jack McMaster the milkman etc etc

donald
when you were talking of old low road shops? do you remember the sort of grocery shop that opened left of spruce street?
it was opened by a man i think his name was ferguson who also had a sweet shop on longstone opposite the chapel
he drove a two colour vauxall six cylinder car that we kids used to fantizize about at that age that was about 1955 or so
time flies good luck tom

trying to think about the vauxall nane the four cylinder was a wyvern but this was the six cylinder a lovely machine

That was Billy Ferris who you mention. He owned a Bakery on the Longstone and then opened a branch on the Lowroad in the late fifties, next to Gaby Kerr, my brother - in -law,s Butchers His son in law I think, ran it.
Just had a memory flash, no idea why but I can recall six of us Lowroaders,at that time, Rooney , McArdle , Duffy, Roy, Spence and myself as 15 year olds booked for riding bikes at Dunmurray six- a -breast and we had to appear at Dunmurray petty sessions with our parents. We were fined 10 shillings and 5 shillings costs. Our Dads had to take the morning off work to accompany us. What a lot of criminals we were in those days!
Donald

Donald,
The shops you mention were all a very important part of my childhood. Mrs Morrow ran the shop in my early days and her husband, Billy, stood at the fire smoking his pipe. He never actually served anyone!!! Later their son Eddie took over the running of the shop. Eddie was a great man for the horses and was mates with Pete Rickard. The Morrows lived in the end house with the Anderson family between their house and the shop. There was always great competition in the winter time to get to where Morrow’s fire was as the wall was really warm.

Dermot Dornan’s barber shop in East Down View (Bap Row to us), was a real throwback. I went there until I was well into my teens having first gone to Stranahans in Railway Street where Dermot worked before he set up in Bap Row. Later on his son, also Dermot, took over the shop. I well remember three of us, Tucker (Henry) Orr, Ciggy (Maurice) Magee and yours truly getting our first crew cuts at Dermot’s and telling him we had our parent’s permission (which we did not have). I believe there was another barber’s shop at the place before Dermot but I am a bit hazy on it.

Rickard’s shop in Bap Row was the smallest shop I have ever see. It was all contained within the front room and sold mostly papers, comics and periodicals. Pete ran the shop and was joined by Larry after the war. Pete was also the local bookie’s runner and was a real character and Larry spoke with an English accent and was into card schools (of which there were plenty).
I am going to stop now as my thoughts are running away with me, but just remind you of John Morrow’s milk run( Leamington Dairy) and latterly the butcher shop where Arthur Rooney and John (Bishop) McArdle worked as well McMaster’s shop (Winnies Mum for Beanos info)

Lowroader,
Sarah Morrows was bought later by Harry Mullholland. The Milk buisness from John Morrow was taken over by Davie McCormack
That butchers was opened by Drake from Castle Street and later bought by Gabriel Kerr. It was originaly housed in John Morrow,s Dairy beside Richards in Bap Row, then Gabriel converted his mothers house in Grand St into a butchers shop and moved the buisness there. The Butcher,s shop he vacated was taken over by Seamus Murray and a partner who used it to cure and store Limerick Ham.
Larry Richard? Was that Lawernce? There was a disabled daughter, Ginnie as well. I remember Pete coming Saturdays to the "Buildings " at Hilden Mill on a bike to collect the bets.
I remember Dermot Dornan in East Down View , the shop was owned also by John Morrow . Then there was later a Barber in Grand St run by Logue, Eddie Logue the Bee Bop Barber from Bridge St was his brother . Their father was Jack Logue from Tullynacross who worked in the mill and as a child at the Locks I remember him also sowing corn in the fields there. There was another Barber in Bachelors Walk , John Hughes from Hilden, beside the Robin,s Nest Pub and I remember my Granda telling me about another from Hilden, Lonnigen? whose buisness was where Connellys Newsagents now is / was beside Boyds . It must have been a high class place as the clients had their own personal shaving mugs and wobbling brushes deposited there. Another Barber in Chapel Hill was Martins .
A number of the people mentioned did not live to a ripe old age.
Donald

Lowroader
Where was McMaster,s shop? Jack McMaster the milkman I remember. Miller and McClennends two shops,( in one tin tea cans hung from the ceiling ) one on each side of the street where Jack lived, come also to mind.
Another along the Belfast road at Lambeg halfway between the Sportsman,s Inn and the Stagecoach Inn in a small whitewashed , single storey building in the curve. It was owned by a small swarthy man with a slight turn in his eye whose sole means of transport was a bicycle , ( Tommy ???) but the name escapes me.
Donald

Forty-seven ears ago this year since my last visit, and I’m trying to think further back into childhood, but some of the people’s names are familiar, though I was reared in a wee lane off Linenhall Street. Davy Mac Cormack used to come and visit Kevin Corken, who flitted back and forward between our area and the Low Road. We were about twelve years old.
My dad once told me that Maurice Magee was my cousin. I’m not sure about that. Perhaps HIS cousin, as I recall my own first cousins. But I did know Maurice.
The Vauxhall – was it a Cresta? That,, and the Velox, were mouth-watering in their time.
Donald, I may have asked you previously, did you know the Corrigans, Hilden or Lambeg? Patsy was killed in the war. Joseph, I have just learned, is still alive. I don’t know about Alice. She worked in the Island.

Donald,
The McMaster family had a shop in their house which was in the row past Bap Row.
John Morrow had the first house (before the shop was there), then the Elliot family, Norwoods, McMaster( Anne, Jim and Ella's family - Father Jim, Mother - Sarah, Then a family whose name I cannot recall and then McMaster, Winnie and June's mum and dad, Thomas was the father who died tragically at Altona whilst playing football. I cannot remember the mother's name ( I am sure Beano can help).
There were no other shops between there and Grove street at that time.
The chip shop was owned by Tommy Miller and run by his son - in law, whose name I do not recall. I do remember he played a Lambegger in Lisburn.
The chipshop was a bit of a joke as eveything was made in very small quantities and as sure as night followed day if you ordered a supper they ran out of one or other and you had to wait. I spent many involuntary hours standing in there on my way home from the night tech or the pictures.
Jack McMaster lived in Wilson Street where he kept the milk. I seem to remember the horse and cart being kept some distance away. Seymour Street comes to mind but that may have been Davey Jones's coalbrick cart!!!!

Oh Happy Days

Dabbler
The Corrigans lived at the bottom of Bridge St, they were related to the families Lunn, Bradley ( Patsy ) and Weir . Bernadette rings a bell, Their neighbours were Mrs Griffen and son Billy, Rabbie Fitzsummons, a Hilden character, his brother Dan who together with his wife Lizzie made candy Apples and sold them for one penny each, Bleakley lived next door. If you need any more info you know where to reach me
Donald

Lowroader
The name of the son in law was Duncan, he lived below us in Lawnbrook Drive, he drove a lorry for a small foundry up the Groverner Road in Belfast, his son,s name was Robert,
Donald

Hi Low Roader,

Just back online after about two weeks without a PC, God in his wisdom allowed computers to be invented, alas he didn't give me the brains to work with them.
I don't remember Mrs McMaster's first name, my minds a blank on this one I am sorry to say.
My hats off to you and Donald for all the Low Rd.stuff,I rode up and down the road on the message bike many many times and you guys bring it all back with all the street names etc.
Lowroader we must have crossed paths at some point in the past,when you mentioned Harry Orr and Maurice Magee's crew cuts it just conjured up a vision, I remember them both so well.
Do any of you and I include Fraser and Tom in this, remember a girl called Margaret Hanna (no relation) from East Down View,she was originally from the Co.Down (Plantation Lane).......just curious,she was a real good looker.

Beano

I remember Marget Hanna, she lived beside the Russel family there. Her mother worked in the Mill, don,t remember her father, she was a few years older than me but like you say , a real good looker.
donald

I have a picture of my brother and myself sitting on Jack's milkcart. I think the horse was called Rosie. My brother and I would have been about 10 and 8 years of age. My older brother delivered milk for him, by bicycle.

Thelma

Hi , I was just looking information on old Jack when I came across this forum.

Just in case anyone is still interested in Jack , I though I would add this.

When I was about 7yrs old I lived in New Street, just off the Low Road in Lisburn. Jack had his small lock up diary just at the end of the row where I lived.

At the weekend I would help him deliver his milk along his route and at the end of the day he paid me with a bottle of orange.

I would deliver the milk for him to the pensioners flats on the Low Road as he found it hard to go up the steps.

He was a great wee man and I always looked forward to helping him.

My father was Jimmy Hawthorne who worked in the old Lisburn Infirmary and was a good friend of Geordie Wright who worked in the Barbers at Seymour Steet.

Jim
Have you seen the photo in Old Lisburn Photographs here on the website of Jack called " delivering the milk"?
donald

Jim, where was New Street on the Low Road?

Ann,

Maybe Millbrook? Pat?

Pat, I think you are right?, was New Street not the first street on the right going down Millbrook Road and what was the name of the first street on the right past Millbrook Road.? Mauri

Mauri, was it Wilson Street?

Ann, Right on, Wilson street it was or still is,I knew somebody who lived there but cannot remember their name, another Senior moment I guess. Mauri

Mauri, Wilson Street is still there. The original two rows of terrace houses are also alive and well and occupied.

Roseville Estate was built in that area in the early 60s, but the wee houses were left alone.

Wonder why it was called Wilson Street.

Pat

Hi Ann,

I used to go out with a girl called Joan Watson from Wilson St.

Beano

Beano, I remember Joan very well. A nice dark, curly-haired girl. I haven't seen her for a while but she and I would always pass the time of day. She married a chap by the surname of Lavery if I'm not mistaken. Beano, you were far from your neck of the woods that time.

Beano, Joan Watson's name rings a bell??, were they by any chance related to the Toppings, my best friend as a kid and who also worked with me as a telegram boy was Sammy Topping who was the son of Herbie Topping who run the Stores Pub off Bow Street. I seem to recall visiting someone in Wilson Street with Sammy. He immigrated to Canada back in 1956 but died of cancer in 1971 I was with him when he died. Mauri

Though I did not actually know them, the names of many stick in my mind.
Mauri; Sorry to hear about Herbie Topping. Didn't know him, but supped one or two in there; maybe before I was legally old enough.
Logue? Several families, I think.I remember Patsy, Billy, Danny and Arthur. I had no idea where they lived, and doubt if each individual knew that I knew his brother. Patsy spent time in England as a jockey, and never let us forget that none of us could ever say we came over the second last alongside Tim Maloney.

Hi Ann,

This spam thing is becoming a real problem, I tried sending you a reply on the 20th., again it was declined because it contained...SPAM.
Joan Watson did indeed marry Richard Lavery,the marriage lasted over 25 years, then he met a young girl close to 30years younger. I understand that she was his secretary in Bridgeport Brass, that is the story I was told anyway......oh boy gossip.
You say it was out of my territory, well, after that I moved in to your area when I started going out with Winifred McMaster. Both girls were really nice, I mustn't have been, as they both dumped me.

Beano

Ann,

I took Donald's advice, I copied and pasted my last post to you, have a nice weekend.

Beano

Beano
I seem to remember Winifred McMaster, she lived with her mother a few doors from us in Lawnbrook Drive in the 60s. She was a good looking girl and was always accompanied by a small pet dog. Her mother worked in No. 3 Winding Dept. in Hilden mill. Didn´t she marry a chap called Freddie Hanretty also from Lisburn?
donald

Donald, I think Winifred married Freddie Mathers. Well, I'm not sure if she did marry him but she did go out with him for a long time. He and Dominic used to get the last bus home from Grand Street. That's how I know. I think Winifred's marriage broke up also. Winifred is still good looking, trim and fit and walks a little dog. Not the same one, mind you.

1 2