Prostate Cancer Survivors

YANA - YOU ARE NOT ALONE NOW

PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT SITE

This forum is for the discussion of anything to do with Prostate Cancer.
There are only four rules:

• No fundraisers, no commercials (although it is OK to recommend choices of treatment or medical people based on your personal research; invitations to participate in third-party surveys are also acceptable, provided there is no compensation to YANA);
  • No harvesting e-mail addresses for Spam;
  • No insults or flaming - be polite and respectful at all times and understand that there may be a variety of points of view, all of which may have some validity;
  • Opinions are OK, but please provide as much factual evidence as possible for any assertions that you are making

Failure to abide by these simple rules will result in the immediate and permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Since this is an International Forum, please specify your location in your post.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What to expect at the end

Hi CJ - that is such an honest question. I was my husband's advocate for 13 years. He passed away in 2013. I thought about this also - as the caregiver. The best people I found, who were the most knowledgeable, sensitive, wise, and caring - was Hospice. They understand End of Life better than almost anyone. They have experienced counselors, social workers, nurses, and non-denominational chaplains. Our chaplain would just come and sit with my husband - and talk about fishing. It meant a lot to him.

But I thought about the afterlife more - for him. I wanted him to have a glimpse of where he was going, because he needed it. So I realized one day that if I was going to travel somewhere that I had never been before (like Alaska? Europe? Asia?) - I would talk to someone who's been there. Right? So I started noticing stories and books written by people who had crossed over, and come back. I was intrigued by how all their stories were different - yet the same statements about joy, peace, love, and a feeling of belonging. So I read to my husband from these books from time to time. It gave him peace. Here's 3 of my favorite books:

- Embraced by the Light, Betty Eadie
- Proof of Heaven, Eben Alexander
- Falling Into Heaven, Mickey Robinson

NONE of these books was written by someone who was 'religious'. They were all skeptics, so their stories have a certain honesty I need personally, if you know what I mean. I'm often a skeptic myself - but always an honest one.

Thank you Jan for your response. I know it sounds a bit morose to some but I think it will be easier for me to go through if I have some sort of picture of what is coming. I'm looking for all the unpleasant details such as the end of body functions, what things I won't be able to do for myself, what my appearance will become, and what the last weeks will be like. Sucks to read that your husband is gone. I'd be greatful for any details I listed but completely understand if you would rather not share. Hope you are doing well

I have read this fine book and highly recommend it. I think it may address most of your questions regarding "details on what the "shutdown" will be like", and may be of some value to you...

"With the End in Mind: Dying, Death, and Wisdom in an Age of Denial"

by Kathryn Mannix

(In the words of one reviewer) - This book is an absolute essential reading for everyone. No one is immune from death, not only our own but our family and friends. This book tells in a concise way of the pattern to the way life ends.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE LINKS