Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I really need some advice!

Hi!
Unfortunately your story is alot like mine!!!!!!!!
I have NO CLUE what's up with the "family" it happened to me too!!!!!!!! It's like her illness is this dark secret that they don't talk about. Sure was sad, as I sure would have appeciated, even a doctor to tell me what symptoms to look for before she becomes a danger to herself or others or to ME!

I think some families are Co-dependant or scard of the truth, or ignorant, or vain afraid someone else might find out the secret!

Now that aside, I wouldn't leave my mom with a cat!!!!!!!!!! Much less a child of any age!!!!!!!!!! I have learned through counseling this word called "Boundaries" and you know what, it has helped me alot!!!!!!!!! Im the one in charge, Im her mother, Ive reversed the cycle to a degree. It's still fustraiting as I tend to sometimes drift back into my child thinking of wanting a mom, but then after being verbally abused again (like that is anything new) I have to put on my courage to create and sytand by my boudaries.

I hope you are doing okay, and that you too can keep your mom on your terms, not hers. As far as the rest of the family if they want to live in denial let them, it's especially common in dysfunctional families! But what is important is for you to have support! I hope you have friends that understand or an understanding couselor!