Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mother-in-Law consumed with paranoid dillusions

How would you get help for someone with delusions if they don't think they have them? My mother has delusions of reference, and paranoid delusions. I have been trying to get her to tell her primary care doctor, or a psychiatrist, for years. She says that only certain people in the community know that she is "out there" and that if she told someone who didn't know her, they would think she is crazy. So she realizes that it "sounds crazy" to think that everyone is out to get her, and yet she is convinced there is a conspiracy against her.

I called her doctor, and they said that they will 'take a note' about my suspicions, but unless she brings it up, there's nothing they can do. And she will NEVER bring it up. I've thought about having her taken by force to a psychiatric hospital, but she will never forgive me for that, especially since she is already very concerned about the idea that people think she is crazy.