Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: To RainbowGirl and Jan and everybody else

Thank you for that, Anonymouse. It's funny, I've never heard anything about what you had described as a treatment(I haven't gone to a therapist for any of this yet, though I've started going to support groups).

But last night, after finding out among other things that my mom had given the one possession of value away(a fairly new car) in exchange for an airplane ticket to somewhere she could have driven to, I lay down in bed and had crushing chest pains. I tried to breathe, and I closed my eyes and imagined that Jesus was holding out his hands to her, and her placing her hands in his. She belongs to him now. I did the same for myself. I felt better,and I had a good day today.

I went to the property to leave a nice note for her and instead found a note saying that she was going to sue me, a note filled with a bunch of legalese and lies in response to the Pay or Vacate notice. The neighbors told me that she traded her car, that she's been shacking up with a schizophrenic neighbor, and that she's been walking around the complex with a large stick that she bangs on the ground while ranting to herself. They say she's aged 10 years in the last month but she insists she's fine. I left in tears and did not leave her my note. Then I get a voice mail from her saying that she'll send me to jail if I go back there or keep telling her neighbors she's crazy(as if they didn't know).

She said that she never wanted to see me again, that I've hurt her for the past 35 years(I'm 39???). She says she never wants to see my 7 year old son again...her words were, "And I never want to see *** again, and I'm fine with that. There are plenty of other little kids who aren't prejudiced against me". My son does not know what is even going on as I haven't told him any details, and I never discuss my childhood.

That final call made my blood boil, and brought my father to tears for all that I'm going through (they are divorced).

I despise my "mother" and I am fine with never seeing her again either. She had made this easier on me due to her hateful behavior; I no longer feel guilt. I will miss the times we played Scrabble and video games, and our long talks, and the times we went on walks, which was not very often. I will not miss holidays and practically everything else. I will be fine and I will do my recovery work, and I will not speak to her until she has a couple years of medication and therapy under her belt, and I do not hold out much hope that this will happen.

I will definitely do a google search on what you recommended. That sounds like it would work well for me. Take care and I wish you the best with everything.

Re: Re: To RainbowGirl and Jan and everybody else

RainbowGirl -

I am so sorry that all that happened and it has come to this for you. No one should have to deal with what we're all dealing with!!! I am glad that imagining Jesus taking your mom and you was comforting to you. I am glad you've found a support group. I've been in therapy off and on since I was 15 and although talk therapy has helped, hypnotherapy, Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) and this EMDR stuff has given me the most relief from what I call "The Pit of Despair". From what I understand, the types of horrors that we've all been through cause the brain to actually change, so to truly recover from our experiences, we have to tap into that part of the brain and help it to see things differently, to rewire itself to react to things more like a "normal" brain again. The NLP, EFT and EMDR all do this. I'm not saying this is for everyone, but I've found a great deal of benefit from it.

Hang in there. You are a good person dealing with a bad situation <- well, there's an understatement!