Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents

Welcome to Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents Discussion Forum!!! Dedicated to the validatation and encouragement towards one another in tranquil and perilous times a mist the obscure insanity of a loved one.

Adult Children of Mentally ill Parents
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Please help...I can't take dealing with my bipolar mother anymore...I'm losing it

My mother is borderline and has narcissistic personality disorder. I have worried about her committing suicide since I was a young teenager. I am considering ending our relationship to save myself. It is quite a burden to live with, so I sympathize. But honestly, if you were to end your relationship with your mother, chances are she wouldn't kill herself (she'd get much more attention by staying alive and being a martyr!) and you'd be free. And if she actually did kill herself and your family, who isn't any support to you anyway, stopped talking to you, what would you really lose?

I know you say you don't have anywhere else to go, and I don't know where you live and therefore what resources might be available there, but you might want to look in to a women's shelter or something like that. It sounds terrible, but can it be any worse than where you are living now? Even just the action of pursuing information and resources through social services can help give you a feeling of control in this bad situation. At least you are doing SOMETHING for yourself and your children. Many, many places offer free or very reduced rate counseling for single moms and such. When I was a teenager, I went to cheap counseling through Catholic Charities (they never brought religion into the sessions, if that is a concern.) and it was the best thing I did for myself. You may think you can't afford it, but can you honestly afford not to at least look into it??? Again, it is a positive action for yourself, your children and your upcoming new marriage. I don't mean to be harsh, but if you don't take care of yourself and get some help, your second marriage will NOT be successful.

Good luck and hang in there.