NACLI DISCUSSION FORUM

​​​​​​​

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

NACLI DISCUSSION FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: December Holidays

I retired from Supervision in an Acute Care Hospital 6 years ago after more than 50 years as a working RN. I recall many years working the 11-7 AM shift and doing Santa Claus stuff before I went to work and making our daughters wait until Mommy got home. I fell asleep watching them open their presents. Then to church and later that day we would go to Grandma's for a big feast with other cousins and Uncles.
Times have changed. Our daughters are now grown, Grandma is dead and now that is me. In more recent days when only working per diem I would work at least a part of Christmas so that younger nurses could be home with their children and families. I would have a big dinner on Christmas Eve with whatever family members could attend. We would open gifts and spread joy. Grandchildren were sometimes working but we always tried to be together.
Last year Covid threw everything out the window. We did have a celebration with some family members a few days after Christmas in my driveway. Our older daughter brought a portable fire pit. The other daughter brought blankets, electric warmers and chairs. No food- masks for everyone. We were lucky the weather held up for us. It was fun but I miss the old celebrations. I'm even reluctant to go to Mass because they don't wear masks. We will get together somehow, by individual visits, Zoom or in someones driveway or garage in order to keep the spirit, Peace and Joy of Christmas alive.