NACLI DISCUSSION FORUM

​​​​​​​

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

NACLI DISCUSSION FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Observances for May 2021

May Awareness brings us May 9-15 which is Hospital Week (Second Week of May)
There is also, Armed Forces Day 2021, Saturday, May 15 (https://nationaltoday.com/armed-forces-day/). Armed Forces Day is a special holiday for people all over the world to come together and thank the men and women of the United States Armed Forces. President Harry S. Truman established the holiday in 1949. This day celebrates all five branches of service: the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Both my son-in-laws chose to join in service: one in the Army National Guard and one in the Navy. I'm very proud of both of them. We need to support our military!

Another important part of May is Emergency Medical Services Week (EMS) - May 16-22, 2021. My husband celebrates this every year as a Paramedic, Lieutenant in the FDNY. On September 11, 2001, militants associated with the Islamic extremist group, al Qaeda, hijacked four airplanes and attacked the World Trade Center. On that day, my husband chose to head down to the World Trade Center as part of his HAZMAT training, even though it was his day off. He was in the WTC building 2 when he called me via ATT cell phone to tell me he was OK. Although he got out shortly before the United Airlines Flight 175 turned sharply toward the World Trade Center and sliced into the south tower near the 60th floor, he still managed to get caught in all the debris, resulting ultimately in what is referred to as World Trade Center Asthma or Reactive Airway Disease. Although early treatment with steroids resulted in a decrease in the effects of this airway disease (resulting in a remaining 85% of his lung capacity), for the remaining time 2011 to 2021, my husband could only maintain a 89-90% O2 Saturation at best. He adjusted, however, and continued to work in his capacity as a Paramedic Lieutenant and an FDNY-EMS supervisor, working through the first wave and worst of COVID. Unfortunately, with the extensive need in the FDNY EMS during the winter holiday time, his heavy workload caused him to be exposed to a full-blown, active COVID patient and he developed COVID-19 from "on the job exposure" as we entered the new year. Due to his past history of Sleep Apnea and WTC lung issues, he quickly deteriorated and required ventilation on two occasions. However, my husband has always been a strong fighter, and he made it through 4 months of hospitalization and rehab with many ups and downs, as well as admissions in several hospitals. He is finally home, temporarily wheel chair bound, but still fighting to regain his past physically active state. I will continue to fight this battle with him and celebrate his dedication and the dedication of all EMS workers who keep us safe and healthy by getting us rapid health care when we need it most. Thanks to all EMS for being there for us through some of our most difficult times, especially these horrific Covid-19 waves.

Healthcare Documentation Integrity Week also runs from May 16-22, 2021 and World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development, which is celebrated on May 21st.

Please share one of your experiences with us.

Re: Observances for May 2021

Thank you Pat for sharing your story. I wish to thank all this month of Healthcare miracle workers!!

Kim

Re: Observances for May 2021

Hi Pat,
Thank you for choosing this topic and sharing your story with us.
The sacrifices made by our healthcare and military service providers must always be honored.
May is also Mental Health Awareness month. Nearly one in five U.S adults experience some form of mental illness, 1 in 6 U.S youth age 6-17 experience a mental health disorder each year and suicide is the second leading cause of death among people age 10-34. These stats are sobering because apparently mental illness does not discriminate. Mental health is vital to the wellbeing of our communities hence more should be done to eliminate stigmas associated with mental illness. According to the American Psychiatric Association (2018) individuals with mental illness should not be stigmatized as unstable, violent, child-like, angry. While the degree of mental illness may vary, individuals suffering from mental illness looks just like you and me. Health care providers must continue to educate their patients and communities about the importance of mental health. Please take a minute to reach out to a loved one, colleague or friend since your demonstration of concern and compassion could be a lifeline.
Thank you all for participating in this forum.
Lovelyne
Be safe, be kind and be present.

References:
American Psychiatric Association
Girls inc., New York
Medical News Today