NACLI DISCUSSION FORUM

​​​​​​​

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

NACLI DISCUSSION FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
March is National Women's History Month and Irish-American Heritage Month!

Since March is National National Women's History Month and Irish-American Heritage Month, I thought I would mention some important women in Irish History. I mention these as noted on the Irish Post web site: https://www.irishpost.com/life-style/7-inspiring-women-irish-history-know-150997 and some from the Irish Times web site:https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/25-fearless-women-who-helped-shape-today-s-ireland-1.3406499 Although I'm Italian, being married to an Irishman for close to 50 years, I found this rather interesting. :grinning:

Kay McNulty Mauchly Antonelli (1921-2006), born in Donegal, was one of six women selected in 1940s by the US Army to work on the ENIAC, the first general-purpose electronic digital computer. Their task was to calculate trajectories for shells and bullets for soldiers using artillery guns. These women taught themselves to programme. McNulty was inducted into the Women in Technology International Hall of Fame in 1997.

Known as the “Rebel Doctor”, Dorothy Stopford Price (1890-1954) was responsible for introducing the BCG vaccination to Ireland. In the 1930s, whenTB swept the country, she began importing and testing the BCG vaccine, campaigning for a nationwide programme. She was appointed head of the national vaccination programme in 1949.

Anna Parnell (1852-1911) and her sister, Fanny, part of the Ladies’ Land League of the 1880s who opened 500 branches countrywide, fundraising and fighting for tenant farmers’ rights. They distributed 60,000 pounds in relief funds.

Margaret Ann Bulkley who initially lived as a man during the Victorian era. Bulkley was born in Cork in 1795 and graduated from the University of Edinburgh Medical School in 1812 before becoming a surgeon in London, under the name of Dr. James Barry (1789-1865). She held the second highest medical office in the British Army. she brought about improvements to public health, sanitation and nutrition, and performed one of the first C-sections where both mother and child survived.
She lived as Dr. James Barry until her death when her secret was discovered.

Hanna Sheehy Skeffington (1877-1946) was an unrelenting campaigner for the equal rights of men and women, an active nationalist, and a founding member of the Irish Women Workers’ Union, and co-founder of the Irish Women’s Franchise League (IWFL).

Called the “Flying Feminist”, Lilian Bland (1878 –1971), was the first woman in Ireland to build and fly an aircraft, and the world’s first female aviation engineer.

From County Cork in Ireland, 17 year old, Annie Moore became the first immigrant to be processed through the newly-opened Ellis Island in New York on January 1, 1892.

Born in 1859 in Dubmin, Katharine Tynan, a close friend of W.B. Yeats, became a famous writer and poet writing 105 novels, many newspaper articles , authored two anthologies, 16 poetry collections, 5 plays, 7 devotional books, 1 book about dogs and 12 short stories.

Constance Markievicz became the first female elected to the House of Commons in 1918. She was an Irish Republican most of her life.

Born in Limerick in 1818, Catherine Hayes became one of the world's most famous opera star during the 19th century. She died in 1961 at 43 years of age and left left behind a will of £16,000 – equivalent to around £1 million today and $1,384,130.00 US Dollars !

Hope you enjoyed this and will share some interesting information you may have found about women in history !

Re: March is National Women's History Month and Irish-American Heritage Month!

Interesting note: Although Florence Nightingale (1820-1910), known as “The Lady With the Lamp,” was a British nurse and social reformer, Florence Nightingale was actually born on May 12, 1820, in Florence, Italy to Frances (Fanny) and William Shore Nightingale while they were vacationing. She was named for her birthplace. She also had an older sister, Parthenope (always called Parthe), who was also named for her birthplace. :grinning:

Reference:
History.com Editors (2009, Nov. 9). Florence Nightingale (Italics). Retrieved on March 22, 2021 from
https://www.history.com/topics/womens-history/florence-nightingale-1

Mary Lewis Coakley (1990). The Faith Behind the Famous: Florence Nightingale (Italics). Retrieved on March 22, 2021 from 25/faith-behind-famous-florence-nightingale-christian-history.html

I find that there is one group of women that is almost always forgotten when we talk about women's history. I am talking about the Sisters of Charity started by Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton. In 1809 she started the Sisters of Charity the first religious congregation of women in the US. She opened a school for girls in 1810 and an orphanage in NYC in 1817. Around 1849 because of the Irish potato famine an orphanage was opened in Halifax and St. Vincent's Hospital in Manhattan was opened because of the cholera epidemic. The Sisters of Charity have served as nurses in the Civil War and the Spanish American War, opened the St. Vincent's Hospital School of Nursing around 1893, established the first and largest East coast Aids Clinic and treatment center and marched in Civil Rights protests. They are still providing health care and education through the Caribbean and poorer nations around the world.

So interesting, Carole. I actually went to St.Barnabas HS run by the Sisters of Charity, Bronx, NY. The foundress, Elizabeth Ann Seton, was canonized as the first American-born saint.

A minute ago, I was asked my thoughts about Women's month celebration? from my perspective, during the month of March we celebrate nurses who are certified. However, we forget to acknowledge and recognize those nurses among us who have made a difference in the lives of others, the nursing profession and health care globally. For instance, I volunteered with Kiwanis International and UNICEF on the local and global level to eliminate Iodine Deficiency disorders, the leading preventable cause of Mental Retardation worldwide at that time. This was achieved through education, advocacy and fundraising efforts. I volunteered with the American Cancer Society to fight against Breast Cancer. I participated in Making Strides walks, provided presentations and donated thousands of dollars. I was instrumental in developing a Women's partnership program at place of employment in collaboration with New York State and American Cancer Society that provided free screening such as mammogram, pap and clinical breast examination for women without insurance coverage or under insured if they met the criteria. As a leader and role model, I was instrumental in developing a mentoring program that assisted nursing students emotionally, economically and academically and serves as a mentor and preceptor as well as promote education advancement. As a give back, I have developed several scholarships and donate annually to students based on their perservance to achieve their goal of becoming a registered professional nurse. What are your thoughts?

The wealth of information and inspiration being garnered from this discussion is truly indescribable. During this month, along with every other month, women should be celebrated. While we have made great strides with the resent election of our first African American/Asian vice president, Ms. Harris, and mothers/wives turned teachers and care takers overnight due to the pandemic, much more needs to be done. Women all over the world continue to endure the arduous struggle of seeking to achieve equal rights, fleeing with babies in arms to avoid ethnic cleansing, war crimes, sex trafficking/harassment. History has demonstrated that whenever women or nurses saw a challenge, they rolled up their sleeves.
Today, women leaders and nurses must continue to implore others to support the need for equal rights, mental health care without stigma, responsible gun laws, poverty reform and many more. We must always keep in mind that no matter the way one choses to leave their imprints on this earth, it’s most impactful when done with a forklift and not always necessarily with a bulldozer. We all have more in common than differences. During this occasion, let us continue to celebrate the past, acknowledge the present and look to a more explorative and just future. The contribution of all participants is significant and a great testament to the multifaceted influences we hold as women and nurse leaders worldwide. Thank you all for sharing such breadth of information with one another.
Please feel free to review or share the following books at your convenience:
1. Herstory by Katherine Halligan and Sarah Walsh
2. I know why the Caged Bird sings by Maya Angelou.