NACLI DISCUSSION FORUM

​​​​​​​

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

NACLI DISCUSSION FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BLACK HISTORY MONTH CELEBRATION

February 18, 2021

Celebrating
Black
His (Her)story
Month
By
Lovelyne Jean

In the spirit of celebrating Black History Month this year, I have chosen to honor Ivy Nathan Tinkler and Henry Louis Gates Jr. While both individuals have contributed greatly to the American experience, I will write briefly discuss Ms. Tinkler.
Ivy N. Tinkler was born on March 11, 1906 in New York. Her professional career as a nurse commenced shortly after she graduated from the Lincoln School for Nurses in 1931. Ms. Tinkler obtained a BA in Teaching and Supervision in 1947 and a Master’s in Nursing Service Administration in 1950 from teacher’s College, Columbia University. Motivated by the unfair racial atmosphere at the time, Ms. Tinkler sought to help make a significant impact in her community by rising from staff nurse to becoming the first black director of education at Lincoln and Director of Nursing service, Lincoln hospital. After retiring in 1970, Ms. Tinkler remained active in public service and various nursing organizations such as The American Nurses Association. She is also an honorary member of Chi Eta Phi Sorority, Omicron, NYC.
Ms. Tinkler have influenced thousands of nurses and nursing leaders throughout her nursing career, including myself. I was introduced to this beautiful and courageous legend by my mentor, Dr. Sarah Marshall in 2005. During our meeting in her place of residence, a nursing home, we discussed several topics including breast cancer as she was a survivor. She implored that I encourage women to have regular mammograms and perform breast self-examinations. Even after 15 years, I can still envision just how beautiful, soft spoken and very gracious she was. I was inspired by her strength and selflessness because despite her position in a wheelchair as an amputee, she managed collect and distribute toiletries to her roommates during the holidays.
Ms. Tinkler’s contributions to African American history and nursing profession must never be forgotten. Ms. Tinkler died at the age of 101, on April 10, 2007. I remain humbled and honored to have had the opportunity to meet her. While the pandemic makes it challenging for many of us to network in person, nurse leaders and educators should consider pairing students and retired nurse virtually. I suspect that such an experience will be beneficial to all parties involved.

Reference:
www.geni.com/people/Ivy-Nathan-Tinkler/4124121

Re: BLACK HISTORY MONTH CELEBRATION

Thank you, Lovelyne. I had never heard of Ivy Nathan Tickler. As an educator, this is a very significant part of Nursing Education History!

In commemoration of Black History month, I chose to highlight the special life of Rosa Parks who became a civil rights icon after being arrested on a Montgomery Bus. I learned more about her when I traveled to Alabama and toured the Rosa Parks Museum (https://www.troy.edu/student-life-resources/arts-culture/rosa-parks-museum/index.html?fbclid=IwAR1R6efa9UdabU761wC7h3I87N_26O9-dnjnkOz8hWgjM8oZObMOCAE_Z98 ). She was called "the first lady of civil rights" and "the mother of the freedom movement."

On December 1, 1955, in Montgomery, Alabama, Rosa Parks refused to vacate a row of four seats in the 'colored' section of the bus so a 'white' passenger, could sit, because the 'white' section was filled. She was arrested for civil disobedience for violating Alabama segregation laws. She helped inspire the black community to boycott the Montgomery buses for over a year. This resulted in a decision in November 1956, that bus segregation is unconstitutional under the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

References:
Branch, Taylor (1988). "Parting the Waters: America in the King Years". Simon & Schuster. Archived from the original on May 23, 2013. Retrieved February 21, 2021.

González, Juan; Goodman, Amy (March 29, 2013). "The Other Rosa Parks: Now 73, Claudette Colvin Was First to Refuse Giving Up Seat on Montgomery Bus". Democracy Now!. Pacifica Radio. 25 minutes in. Retrieved February 21, 2021.

Thanks so much Pat.
Courageous and influential individuals such as Rosa Parks and Ivy Tinkler are truly inspirational.
They speak to the true ideals of the American experience which is that anyone of us can contribute something great to humanity. We all have the right to be FREE and pursue HAPPINESS!!!
Lovelyne

Mamie Odessa Hale was a notable figure in public health nursing and midwifery. Born in 1910 in West Virginia, she attended a teachers college, and later went on to attend one of the few programs open to Black nurses, the Tuskegee School of Nurse Midwifery for Colored Nurses in Alabama in 1941.

Hale served a key role in the Arkansas Department of Health as a midwife consultant where she provided formal training to midwives throughout the state. She supported these midwives with education and supervision during the birthing process, birth registration of deliveries, and midwife permit registration. Hale also developed her own need-based educational programs for midwives throughout the varying counties in Arkansas. Her work and commitment to maternal and public health are evident as Arkansas demonstrated a large decrease in maternal mortality rates in the 1950’s.

Advocacy Note:
Supported by all three nurse congresswomen, the Black Maternal Health Momnibus Act of 2021 was recently re-introduced in Congress —
**Call your representative to help to pass the only bill written to address the Black maternal health crisis.

Sources
We sourced information for the above biography from:
Encyclopedia of Arkansas and Dr. Dawley’s article on midwives in the 1940's.

***Kim’s note: I found this information from a Twitter account of “NursesYouShouldKnow”
https://twitter.com/KnowNurses

Hi Kim,
This is the very first time that I am hearing of this wonderful woman, Ms. Hale.
I can't imagine what degree of courage, grit and resilience it must have taken for her to practice during those tumultuous times.
According to the March of Dimes, In Alabama the preterm birth rate among Black women is 51% higher than the rate among all other women. The lack of insurance and access to prenatal care have been cited to be some of the contributory the factors to such disparities. I can't help but to wonder whether or not Ms. Hale was able to document some of her findings in the area of maternal health and perhaps modern society could consider putting some of her techniques into practice. I feel so proud to know that so much Black nurses have and continue to contribute to the advancement of the profession.
Thanks you for your contribution Kim.
Lovelyne

Ref: Marchofdimes.org

Thank you for the feedback Lovelyne, it was interesting to read about the accomplishments of Ms Hale. Thank you for the discussion this month.

Kim

Thank you very much to all contributors for adding to our knowledge during this momentous occasion. Great job everyone.