NACLI DISCUSSION FORUM

​​​​​​​

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

NACLI DISCUSSION FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Professional behavior vs. unprofessional behavior

Have you ever experienced unprofessional behavior in a healthcare provider when receiving health care or during diagnostic procedures?

Re: Professional behavior vs. unprofessional behavior

I have had many experiences related to my extensive Fibrocystic Breast Disease where Mammography techs kept making all kinds of sounds when they would identify some of my large cysts that required measuring. It was awful to listen to. Really ????

Hi Pat,
Truly sad about what you had to endure during such a venerable and sensitive time for you. Thank you for sharing that with us. I actually did not know that my mammogram procedure was over until the technician started wiping the machine off, that how disconnected we were during the whole process. Patients deserve better. Providers and technician need to treat patients with more compassion and sensitivity.

I have to give credit where credit is due. Have an amazing Neurosurgeon from NYU, Dr. Sen. Not only did I have 2 brain surgeries with him and felt totally confident with him each time, but the 2nd time, when he squeezed me into hi busy schedule, I woke up to see him sitting at my bedside. I knew he had a flight scheduled to China to speak at a medical convention, so I was really surprised. When I asked why he hadn’t left, he replied, “I had to go deeper than I expected and just couldn’t leave until I knew that you were OK. Now that is dedication and unbelievable bedside manner!

Wow, so awesome to hear of this wonderful gesture of dedication and compassion. Sometimes these actions can weigh heavily on a patient's recovery too. My children's physician is kind and the kids always look forward to seeing him. There may not always be time for a lengthy conversation however a nice smile may be a very effective way for one to show kindness.