Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Return of the Exile
To all you wonderful Lisburn people, who take the time to liven up our days. I hope to see all or some of you in the now world famous Lisburn Market. (Thanks to the forum) Perhaps even some from Barracks Street. On Tuesday, September 11, or 18. I would...
Views: 187   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 3, 2007 11:33am
by Katie
All Ireland Final
Won't b on tomorrow as the Big Hurling Match of the season is on t.v. at 3.oo p.m. Limerick versus Kilkenny, in Croke Park, All Ireland Final. Kilkenny the champions 8 out of 10 Final winners. Limerick have'nt won for 34years so high expectations & great excitement...
Views: 184   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 2, 2007 1:02am
by Joe Burns
a
Ann
ANOTHER TAKE-OVER IN LISBURN
You all know that the Down Royal Inn has been taken over by property developers. Just heard this morning that the Racecourse Inn at the Maze is being closed. But, the big news is that Hague's Bar on Chapel Hill has been bought over by Lisburn Mall. Hague's ha...
Views: 303   Replies: 13
Last Post: Sep 1, 2007 10:32pm
by Thomas Mc Kay
a
Ann
MORE CHANGES AFOOT IN CHAPEL HILL
Hubby arrived home from town and announced that the builders have commenced demolishing the Parochial House at the Chapel. We knew this was being done, just didn't know exactly when. The old one was dangerous and too expensive to renovate. Changes all ro...
Views: 276   Replies: 17
Last Post: Sep 1, 2007 8:11pm
by dabbler
Vacation.
Hi everyone I dont post very often but I do enjoy reading post's from you all. Just wanted to say hubby and I will be flying into Belfast on Tuesday for a month ,we will be staying in Lisburn and area looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and hopefully the r...
Views: 117   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 1, 2007 4:41pm
by Ann
d
Donald
Bedlam
I have all 3 Grandkids here it,s Bedlam. Max ( 16 ) will be leaving soon to meet his girlfriend and Chris and Kilian are murdering each other. Donald
Views: 258   Replies: 21
Last Post: Aug 31, 2007 9:02pm
by dabbler
p
Pat
Princess Diana
Do u remember where u were that day.? It was a rainy downpour in Kilkee & we went to buy the papers. Met a friend on getting out of the car & she told us the shocking news. Of course getting a paper was impossible so we sat all day at the T.V.? A sad end to...
Views: 131   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 31, 2007 7:19pm
by Katie
Setanta
This was the name of the young Cuchulainn. I didn't know that, and, by heavens, there isn't much I don't know
Views: 231   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 28, 2007 9:38pm
by dabbler
a
Ann
Boring day
Monday and I find it a very boring day. Thought I'd go up to the library for a good book, BUT, being a Bank Holiday, it was closed, I haven't been i the "reading mood" for a while but am back again. Took the dogs , asked hubby and I if we would take her to Bel...
Views: 245   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 28, 2007 7:21am
by Thelma
a
Ann
Oyster Festival Hillsborough
Tomorrow starts the Oyster Festival in Hillsborough. Although it's only about 5 miles away, we've never been. BUT, this year I intend to take hubby, well, make him go. Saturday is the BIG day, when the Oyster Eating Competition commences. I'd just like to se...
Views: 211   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 27, 2007 8:22pm
by Ann
Train Ride
A couple of girls sat down almost opposite me on the train to London. They stared so fixedly, I couldn't decide if they were policewomen , or were on the game.
Views: 245   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 27, 2007 2:01pm
by Pat
d
Donald
Worth trying
Hi all Just had to share this with you all, new hope for us seniors California vintners in the Napa Valley area, which primarily produce Pinot Blanc, Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio wines, have developed a new hybrid grape that acts as an anti-diuretic. It is...
Views: 198   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 25, 2007 9:14pm
by Henpickerento
p
Pat
Let's Dance
Felt a bit down thinking about how far away the children are SO put on Charlie Kunz C.D. & 1st tune was" U R My Sushine" so that cheered me up. Did the dusting & cleaning to the rest of the music. Opened all the doors in the cottage & walzed, quick-stepped & fox-tr...
Views: 583   Replies: 43
Last Post: Aug 25, 2007 5:08pm
by dabbler
a
Ann
Late night chat
Hi everyone, where are you all tonight? I've been busy today, although I didn't go to the Lisburn market this morning. I intended to, but, after doing breakfast and tidying up, it was such a nice day that Rachel and I, plus hubby, went into the garden. Thou...
Views: 329   Replies: 21
Last Post: Aug 25, 2007 12:33pm
by Ann
Ulster Hymn Writer and Humantarian
Hi everyone. As you know I have visitors here from Aussie so i have been showing them around. Of course the Popular sites, like Niagara Falls area, The Welland Canal,and last Sunday we went to Elmira to see the Mennonites in their Horse Buggies at their Church....
Views: 258   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 24, 2007 6:47pm
by Ann
d
Donald
Good home cooking
At last the price of home grown tomatoes has dropped, this morning when shopping I bought some for €0,99 per kilo. Came home and started to cook some home made tomato soup. Onions, garlic, oregano scallions, etc. Am waiting for it to cool to put it through the...
Views: 526   Replies: 51
Last Post: Aug 23, 2007 11:40pm
by Thomas Mc Kay
a
Ann
Rachel says "Cheerio" (for now)
Rachel was to go home yesterday. She talked all day about her "last" dinner here for a wee while. Early in the afternoon her dad cycled round and invited us all to a BBQ at their house. I could have cheered, although I still had to make my two middle-aged 'c...
Views: 219   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 23, 2007 8:31pm
by Maggi
d
Donald
Words of Wisdom
Hi all Got a mail today from a friend containing sayings from Peter Kay. I never heard of him but like this one. Donald When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised that The Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked him...
Views: 271   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 23, 2007 6:52pm
by Ann
a
Ann
A little bit of Intrigue
Hi all, was in town this morning and was talking briefly to an ex-Hilden "schoolboy". See if you Hilden School ones can find out who he is from my clue. His nickname, I believe, was Mickey and he is 3 years younger than me. He informed me that Donald's nickna...
Views: 319   Replies: 23
Last Post: Aug 23, 2007 6:48pm
by dabbler
a
Ann
FAO Beano
Beano, Was speaking to Eddie and Ann Frazer this evening on the phone. Told them about Lisburn Exiles and that you remembered him from school. He remembered you well and told me that you got the nickname "Beano" because every Monday you rushed home from school...
Views: 488   Replies: 32
Last Post: Aug 20, 2007 9:44pm
by Ann
a
Ann
TOO MUCH SHOPPING IN TESCOS
Hi all, didn't get to Tescos yesterday. I went down today at around 1 pm. Browsed about happily on my own - Rachel wasn't back by this time and hubby cannot walk too well. Anyway, bought carrots, which I always do, we go through a lot. Also, courgettes, so...
Views: 190   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 20, 2007 3:07pm
by Katie
t
Thelma
Live chat on Lisburn.com
Hi everyone, Have any of you been on the live chat on Lisburn.com? I think that might be interesting to try one of these days if someone to would like to chat. Thelma
Views: 203   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 20, 2007 12:24pm
by Ann
a
Ann
Another wet Saturday in Lisburn
Well, another wet drizzly day again!! BUT, there's a bonus in it for me. Hubby and eldest son, dogs in tow, are on their way as I speak to Slemish. The dogs are due a trim and the breeder lives there. I'll be rid of them all for a few hours so can get a bit...
Views: 243   Replies: 8
Last Post: Aug 20, 2007 12:12pm
by dabbler
a
Ann
Memories of Hilden Wee Park
Just thinking this morning of the wee park in Hilden. Passed it the other evening and it reminded me of a skeleton. The remains of the seats were still there, where they had always been, but broken and discarded. Those same seats where we mothers would have sat...
Views: 572   Replies: 56
Last Post: Aug 18, 2007 10:22pm
by Ann
a
Ann
Boys' School
Dabbler, hubby remembers your brother Robert, Ignatious Brown , Russell Bell and others. The teacher and the rest of the class knew Rucky had a bad stammer. The teacher would get Rucky out and make him read, to his embarrassment, which made him worse. Hubby does...
Views: 643   Replies: 55
Last Post: Aug 18, 2007 8:55pm
by dabbler
d
Donald
Many a true word is spoken in jest.
Was browsing in the Internet this evening and came across words of wisdom from Bertrand Russell, British philosopher who died 1970 at 98 years of age. Just 2 of his statements Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. Marriage is for wom...
Views: 422   Replies: 47
Last Post: Aug 17, 2007 7:21pm
by Katie
d
Donald
Absent parents
Reading in BBC Northern Ireland News that absent parents in NI cost the government almost 30 million GBP!!! per year brought to mind the old joke about a man being brought to court for non payment of child maintenance. Upon being asked by the judge how much he earned...
Views: 259   Replies: 10
Last Post: Aug 17, 2007 6:32pm
by Katie
p
Pat
Exam results
Hello all, Great excitment here today, early morning rush for results. My granddaughter was apprehensive as she changed schools but I got a call after 9 to say she had passed with enough to get her into Limerick University, so a good day was had by all. T...
Views: 156   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 17, 2007 12:27pm
by Ann
a
Ann
Elvis, 30 years on
Can't go tonight without mentioning "The King". Such a great performer and entertainer. He definitely was "The King". He started a completely new music - rock 'n roll. My parents were disgusted as were most of the older generation at his swivelling hips and...
Views: 206   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 17, 2007 11:11am
by Katie
For a change . Some Canadian News .
. Hi everyone . For a change of pace on the Forum. At present we have here staying with us 2 Teenagers, Ruth from Lisburn, and Scott her boyfriend who is from Dromara. Yesterday we gave them a tour of Toronto . The Beaches areas, Both East and Westend of Cit...
Views: 281   Replies: 10
Last Post: Aug 16, 2007 1:37am
by skippie
Free Forum powered by Bravenet