Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn.com Website
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Site update

My earlier message about the changes I was making to LISBURN.COM seems to have been swallowed in the recent forum problem. Oh well, here's a new update.

I've been working on the code behind the site, fixing a bunch of things mostly small niggles that I won't bother anyone with. Because of the nature of the site and the way it was constructed over many years, this has been a dicey thing to undertake - I had to resort to some site wide Find & Replace operations on thousands of pages. I think I have caught many of the key pages, but some 'deeper' in the site might have missed my trawl. If anyone finds a page that doesn't look right, please let me know and I will investigate.

Darryl

Re: Site update

Hi Darryl

I think this is a senior citizen thing , i was reminising over the old photos on the forum gallerys . I clicked on to Tom Mc Kay on the left hand side , and most of the photos did not appear . It comes up as a page no 404 and whoops .
Hope that yourself , and mum and family are all coping as well as you all can regarding the loss of the big man (Big Jim )and god gives you the strength and patience of Joab to deal with all the problems in the exiles ,along with your own problems in daily life .
Take Care !
Tommy

Hi Tommy, it's likely to have been me. There are over 10,000 pages on LISBURN.COM, and most of them needed some changes, so I had to work in bulk to get through it with the biggest benefit in the least time. I will have a look at that at lunch time and fix it - it's not difficult, just fiddly. Will let you know when fixed.

Thank you for your kind words too. Miss him lots, and it hits me at the most unexpected moments. Particularly when working on the site - I get a glimpse in to his mindset looking at the choice of pages he created and how they were built.

D

Hi Darryl

I hope you do not think i am being critical , as us folks do not have an idea what it must be behind the scene,s . it is like for instance when we go in to any shop , we think that every thing appears by magic on display . Not knowing the work involved behind the shop .
Take a bit of advice , from an old hand , and do not neglect your lunch hour , as it is the most pleasant part of working .
take care , and many thanks for your assistance .
Regards!
Tommy

Not at all Tommy! The Exiles have been great to deal with - you should see some of the eejits I have to deal with on a daily basis, the site is a relief! I had a look at lunchtime, but there was too much needing done I've left it until tonight (hopefully!) D

If the site disappeared into thin air, I think we exiles would all agree that we've had wonderful years visiting it. Good old Jim!
And Darryl - don't overdo it.

Hi Dabbler & All

I second your comments!

Regards!
Tommy

Thanks Dabbler and Tommy. Trying to pace myself with the changes, but there was some urgent stuff that needed attention and unfortunately my fixing broke a few things along the way that I have had to tidy up so I can rest. Must be Day 7.
Darryl

Darryl,

I can imagine Jim smiling in the wings thinking "Now they know just what I had to deal with on a daily basis!" We never know just what any job entails until we try to do it ourselves.

Have a rest on Paddy's Day anyway & a jar of the stuff that brightens the mind & slows the engines.

Pat

Thanks Pat.

BTW don't think I am canvassing for compliments or looking for praise! I am just trying to get into the routine of keeping Exiles posted on what's happening with the site. The idea is that you read it if you want, and comment if you can be bothered. :-)

Darryl