Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ruhbarb and Asparagus season opened

Hallo all
it´s that time again, Ruhbarb and Asparagus are on sale again thank goodness.
With Cooked Ham or Steak accompanied by new Spuds and Sauce Hollandise it makes a wonderful meal especially served with a glass of White Wine, also an Asparagus soup tastes excellent. As dessert Ruhbarb Crumble makes the treat complete
donald

Re: Ruhbarb and Asparagus season opened

Hi Donald, God bless your appetite, regarding new spuds the only ones I have come across so far are Jersey Royals ,Have a great Easter Regards Ted

Ted
Won´t be long now until the Beergardens re-open. Spring is in the air. Herself and I took a day trip to Starnberg, a lake near Munich and had a 2 hour boat trip . We sat outside on the deck and looked and listened to the Captain telling us about all the Castles and Churches we saw, most of which belonged to the Royalty years ago.
donald

Last reply disappeared? Donald what a pleasant way to spend an afternoon on the river ,can one purchase drink on board ? I hope the weather was pleasant ,here our Easter weather was at record temperatures mostly spent in the garden ,speaking of gardens Is your rhubarb up?it's quite early ,many years ago we use to eat it raw dipped in sugar,just crossed my mind the last river trip I think I had was on a Litter from Lambeg locks up to John MC Pollins and that wasn't yesterday , Regards Ted

Ted
You know I was born at Lisnatrunk next door to John McPolin. I read that those locks were called Scots locks after his grandfather who was also a lockkeeper there. I remember the lighters coming up and down there , pulled by horses. Over 70 years ago! Where has the time gone?
I always loved sailing, probably because of my childhood and the Lagan
donald

Donald I well remember John MC Pollins locks and himself as well he use to graze goats up that middle bank, and of course there was a bench built alongside the hut at the lock gates were on a Sunday or a warm evenings locals including John would sit and craic the hours away whilst we went up the loneys or head for MC Connels hill I think that was better craic than today with these computer's Etc and you either came home with a turnip or a cabbage or lipstick on your colour ,youth today is wasted on the young, Regards Ted

Ted
He also kept hens, it was a meeting place for locals, mostly pensioners to have a bit of craic. Even after the Barges stopped sailing up they met there. I remember visiting my father in the Lagan Valley in 1966 and he was also a patient there then. His sister Annie outlived him. She had a battery driven radio at home as there was no electricity in those houses and carried it up to Tommy Just´s radio shop in Seymour Street to have it re-charged.
donald

Joe Duffy, Pete Rickard, were two names come to mind would have occupied seats ,Donald there was another old couple brother and sister up the loneys who occupied a house Annie ? Something who use to accompany my aunt who lived in Grove St to morning mass regularly ,I still enjoy the odd dander up the line from Hilden to were the barges discharged the coal and then up past the netting ,it all ended to soon but then we couldn't grow up fast enough,Sad really Regards Ted

Ted
That was Annie and Jemmi Mateer, brother and sister, they lived up Kelly´s Hill and also sold eggs. He also had a Goat which he grazed in a field along the Lonies behind the row of houses called Down Villas I think, such a posh name for such down and out houses.
donald

Thanks Donald,Of course I remember it now,God but luxuries were few for them then and yet they got on with life ,and Annie herself would have walked from there to town ,church ,on a regular basis and they just got on with life ,generation today wouldn't comprhend there lifestyle yet to us it wasn't that unusual ,my brother and myself use to help Jack MC Master with the milk and you saw poverty at its worse in some of the houses you delevered to and what you saw you were thankful of your own exsistance as made you aware of others not so we'll of,Cheers Donald

Ted
I remember when Jemmie died in the early 60s, the house stood empty and the locals who used to meet at Scott´s Locks used it as a meeting place. Us boys were not allowed to enter, my great Uncle Eddie used to chase me home if we dared to go in there. I heard it was used also as a sleeping place by homeless men.
donald