Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Blitz Square Belfast

I remember my family talking about look-out posts on the roofs of Hilden mill, they were manned by employees who were glad to earn a few extra shillings. When my mother died in August 1849 and we cleared the house at Lisnatrunk to go live with our Granmother in Hilden Mill Street a childrens gas protection device and gas masks were thrown out. The childrens, which was for me, born 1944 was a cradle with a zip for opening and closing it to place the child inside and those outside pressed a pump which drove air into it. My father told me that it was a terrible fear of my mother that those outside if they died from gas or explosions that I would have died from lack of air if no one pressed the pump.
I seem to remember hearing that kids gas masks were issued for older kids with had a Mickey Mouse face to encourage them to wear them.
Later in the early 50s mhen the ration coupons were still in use I had to go to the shop for sugar or tobacco with them. I heard that Germany despite loosing disposed of coupons earlier.
Smuggling tobacco, butter and sugar across from Omeath to Warrenpoint on the boats was a regular thing then with the Customs Officers waiting on the shore to search those arriving.
donald