Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rythmes I learnt on my Grandda’s Knee

To us kids in the Longstone Warren Gardens area the Co.Down playground was a million miles away nevertheless during the 2nd World War a bunch of us did venture over there very occasionaly and a few times got into fist fights with some of the locals I even remember one occasion while delivering a telegram to an address on Young Street parking my bike and going into the playground for a round on the swings. I was then an old man of 15. Mauri

Found this version on the Internet Liz.

The wind, the wind, the wind blows high,
The rain comes sparkling down from sky,
This little girl says she'll die
For want of a lover with a rolling eye.
Johnnie Noble says he'll have her,
Someone else is waiting for her;
Wait ere Johnnie grows some bigger,
He will kiss her in his gigie,
Crack the whip, and away he'll go
To Newcastle races O.

Thanks Fortycoats

So it was "For want of a lover with a rolling eye"!!
Well there were a few of those around!

Oh, the more we get together,
Together, together,
The happier we will be.

For your friends are my friends,
And my friends are your friends.
The happier we will be.

They sailed away for a year and a day
to the land where the Bongtree grows.
And there in a wood a Piggywig stood
with a ring at the end of his nose,
His nose, his nose, with a ring at the end of his nose

They dined on mince and slices of quince
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand on the edge of the sand
They danced by the light of the moon,
The moon, the moon,
They danced by the light of the moon

Baa, baa, black sheep,
Have you any wool?
Yes sir, yes sir,
Three bags full.

One for my master,
One for my dame,
And one for the little boy
Who lives down the lane.

There was a wee girl from Clare,
Gawd knows what she’s doing down there.
Her sisters up north,
But for what it is worth.
Their silence sure makes this place bare.

Another skipping song that comes to mind is:

Come out, come out, wherever you are,
You down there in County Clare.
With yer sister skulkin’ in Lisburn town,
And displaying much decorum,
She’d be better aff, givin’ us a laff,
With her tales back here, on the forum.

HA! What about "She'll be coming round the mountains when she comes

She'll be coming round the mountains when she comes

Singin hi,yi, yippee, hi yi yippee, hi yi yippee when she

comes.

Wait for it.....She'll be wearing silk pyjamas when she comes, etc

This song was always on the prizer in the wee park, and always when the boys from outside of the County Down came to visit. Were you there?

and! She'll be wearing BIG RED KNICKERS etc..............

What fun!! And a bit naughty!!

liz,
if you go near the first of this offering on the site, you;ll read us kids from mckeown street [off antrim road] used to go to the wee park regularly after school. we used the priser swings etc with the county down kids and all sang the wee songs of the time. happy days

Tom,

I have never heard the word PRISER , or Priser Park before, what does that mean.

hiya 40 coats,
a priser if i remember right was a fairly long ,about four,foot and about a foot wide and 3 inches thick base,,. it was suspended on the four corners by strong supports much higher and all four joins could swivel. a person each end had a hold on the support bars and by using your weight and your legs could move the base backwards and forwards.
thats my memory of it, could be wrong? so, open to other views. tom

Tom
correct, two persons, one at each end stood on the"Priser" and "Prised" with their weight to get and keep it moving. The nickname comes from the English word Prise meaning to lift or move.
donald

Thanks guys, my Granda did actually teach me how to PRISE open the likes of Tate and Lyle syrup tins, with a screwdriver.

This knowledge was invaluable later in making carbide bombs from the same cans. However, he did not teach me that.

Somehow I had not made the connection to the PRISER swings you guys talk about.

My youngest Grandson, Kilian loves me to sing for him in a norniron accent.

"We´ll drink a drink a drink to Lily the Pink, the Pink, the Pink

the saviour of the Human Race,

for she invented Medicinal Compound

most adventaous in every case.

Jennifer Eccles had terrible freckles

and the boys all called her names.

So they gave her Medicinal Compound

now she joins in all their games"!

donald

Donald, I well remember that number from the Irish Rovers repertoire.

I recall George Millar belting out the following verse of the same song:

Johnny Hammer had a t-t-terrible s-s-stammer
He could b-barely say a word
So they gave him medicinal compound
And now he's seen, but never heard.

We first met this group in the late sixties, Will Millar was playing guitar and singing in a coffee shop in Calgary, Alberta then. He was joined by his brother George and Jimmy Ferguson and they formed a group which played in the Depression Club, located off 4 th. Street S.W. In Calgary.

We invited the group to our home in Fairview, Calgary and they played and sang well into the evening. Our neighbours could be seen, walking by, looking in, and wondering where all the loud music was coming from.

We understand that later that evening, they went to a local TV station and recorded their hit recording, The Unicorn.

I was wondering Donald, why your Grandchild would be attracted or interested in you singing Lily the Pink as I imagine they “ Sprechen sie Deutsch “, they must be bi-lingual AND appreciate Norn Iron as well.

Must say that at the turn of the century, we attended a few concerts by the Irish Rovers here on Vancouver Island, I think George still lives here.

Good Morning 40 coats, hi ya doin?
Dialect is part of a Nation´s hertigage and should be sponsered ,nothing to be ashamed of , I learned that here in Bavaria. I remember in my teens lots of nornirin people going "across the Scheugh" to work and returning a short time later with such an "put on" London accent.In my youth I remember lots of norniron poeple tried to cover their dialect up
What I do not understand is that the Ulster Scots Language is given more attention than the norniron dialect. When the "Hillbillies " emigrated to USA they took their dialect with them and continue using it today.

Ulster Scots is a term used primarily in the United Kingdom and Ireland. It refers to the Scots who migrated to the northern province of Ireland (Ulster) beginning about 1605. Although sometimes in North America they are referred to as 'Scotch-Irish' or 'Ulster-Irish'.

Kilian, my youngest Grandson has chosen languages as his subject in school and I love to hear him imitate my "Ulster/ Bavarian way of expressing myself.
"What about ye aul han"?
donald

Donald, sorry for delay in answering. Got up this morning and turned on the TV, everything seemed fine, “ empied “ the dishwasher while she had her bath. Then my turn, when I came back to the kitchen, no sound from the TV. I got up and fiddled with the cable connections but to no avail.

Then I discovered that our Internet connection was down also, as well as our telephone. All these services come to us via cable and they were out most of the day. Then around 2:00 in the afternoon, voila ! And life returned to normal on Vancouver Island.

I think Kilian is at the right age to take on new languages. I remember, during the war, we had our first contact within British troops, and they were stationed near Hillsborough. They all spoke a “ language that us
natives did not know “.

In those days only a few people had radios, where they might hear and understand BBC English, but the language spoken by some of these troops was entirely foreign to our ears. Geordies, Cockneys, guys from Zummerzet, etc. etc....

At my young age, I found that by listening carefully, I could gradually understand what they were talking about.

So keep it up Kilian, yer Granda’s jist spressing himself, so he is !

Forty coats
Kilian gets around, last month him and his father spent a week in New York, next month him and his Mum are going to Crotia and last year he was in Oxford with his school class. For my generation at that age (17)a day trip from Lisburn to Warrenpoint, then a boat trip on the Twelfth to Omeath with someone playing the Accordian was an adventure, cheap cigs, bars of rock and a bag of Mussels were what we looked forward to from one year to the next.
donald

Remember my Grandma making Nettle Champ, this was way back in the early years of the war, or even before that. She would bravely go into the back “garden“ and pluck fresh nettles with her bare hands. Then return to the kitchen with a handful and proceed to make champ. The nettles were chopped finely and somehow cooked with potatoes.

As a young nipper in short pants, I had received many stings from these dreaded weeds, I really hated them and although grandma tried to teach me how to grasp them without being stung, I never got the hang of it.

That wee Ann girl could tell you all about cooking them I f we ever could get her back on here.

Forty Coats
I learned from my Grandpa how to pluck nettles, he wore socks on his hands and grasped the stem at the bottom and heaved upwards as the stinging needles pointed in that direction. We ate Neetle Champ on the Maundy Thursday before Easter, a day of Absentience in the Catholic Church then.
donald

A fleeting memory of a cure for nettle stings, comes to mind. This was to rub the affected area with a docking leaf.

It would not work, we were told unless you repeated the dirge:

“ Dockin in, Nettle Out “ !
“ Dockin in Nettle Out “ !

At lest we thought we were getting some relief from those nasty stings which I’m told were caused by the formic acid released by the nettle.

Dr 40

Donald, do you remember a guy called Guy Mitchell singing these cute lyrics, to a catchy tune:

Tell it to the preacher and the blessings flow
Tell it to the teacher, but he don’t know)
Tell it to the poor man under the hill,
Tell it to the rich man makin’ his will,
Tell it but you won’t know,
Till the day of Jubilo.

Oh the Devil, he makes it thunder,
Every time he hollers loud
The sun draws up the water
And it rains right through the clouds
The eagle’s wings, they fly so high
They cause the wind to blow
Now the only thing that bogs my mind
I wonder what makes it snow

(Tell it to the preacher and the blessings flow
Till the day of Jubilo.

Oh, the sun sits up above me
The Heavens are all aglow
The Devil, he don’t love me,
Got a place that we all know
The closer to the sun you climb
The hotter it’s gonna grow
Now the only thing that bogs my mind
How did it get hot below.

(Tell it to the preacher and the blessings flow
Till the day of Jubilo.

I got my share of troubles
Trouble runnin’ everywhere
Blowin’ up like a bubble
Gonna bust itself a fare
Now I’ve got troubles of every kind
Brother that ain’t the half
The only thing that bogs my mind
I wonder what makes me laugh

(Tell it to the preacher, and the blessings flow
Till the day of Jubilo.
Till the day..of..Ju..bi..lo

During my late teens I could remember every word, but now........

40 or was that 39......

Forty coats
I remember Guy Mitchell but not msinging that song
donald

How’s abouts:

A crowd stood around you
The night when I found you
They each wanted you
In the old homing waltz

Though you never knew me
You smiled and came to me
And I found you mine
In the old homing waltz

This sweet melody
That brought you to me
Will linger forever
In my memory

I found what I prayed for
The arms I was made for
The night when we danced
To the old homing waltz.

This was sung in the fifties, I believe, by Vera Lynn and also, Frankie Valentine, whoever he was, though I can renpmember his name somehow.