Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Silence is unbelievable

ann b
thank youfor your comment. the 8 hour to singapore plus 14 after is a bit weary. the oz flight lands in heathrow about six in the morning and it,s like a football match,grand final.people everywhere then, get a flight to belfast,not a lot of fun.
but,pat from limerick who used to subscribe, very kindly advised me about dublin airport. so last time i flew into dublin,stayed a week in a local hotel and had a lovely time in dublin. then 15 minutes walk from the hotel got a train to belfast.,stopped at lisburn. my brother met me there and great hello.back to his place in pond park, and after the train journey i was so thirsty i just had to join him in a bottle of guiness? or maybe two?. so next time will do the same. regards tom

Thanks Ann for your kind comments and as Liz says if there were more folks like you then the Forum wouldn't be in danger of folding up. Interesting that Liz goes back to Lisburn once a year which is great if you have relations or close friends there. However in my case there is only one person that I know from way back still alive although there may be more that I am unaware of.??

I find it hard to believe that its over 72 years since I first left Lisburn although of course I have been back visiting many times and as I have said before used to stand at the corner of Railway St.and the Square to see if I reconized anybody??

Anyway folks again nice hearing from you have a great week Bye for now. Mauri

MAURI, MAYBE THERE IS A GLIMMER OF HOPE THER AFTERALL ?

I still love to recollect Sunday evenings almost 60 years ago in Lisburn, the girls paired up and walked around Market Square, us boys stood in the shop hallways , drooling and whistling and dreaming naughty things
donald

Those walks up and down and around town on Sunday evenings were even more fun during the second world war years as the town was completely blacked out and the boys (saucy devils) took advantage of it.

The favourite trick was hiding in one of the shop doorways and jumping out as the girls came along. its a wonder they didn't have heart attacks?? though to give the girls credit some did pack a real mean punch???. Mauri

Mauri, Do you remember if Genise's opened then on a Sunday night or was it just Fusco's later years we use to visit Rossie's in Bridge St for Ice cream ,and there was a great Pie shop on Bridge St Beano I'm sure would remember it I think he was called Carnduff ?but the pie and peas were brillant then ,sometimes I wonder does one's tastebuds decrease with age ? Or was food tastier then,or maybe we just used more vineger ,O for a supper out of Ginesi's .
Bon-appete Ted

Hi Ted, I remember Fusco's being open on a Sunday but can't remember Genise's opening on a Sunday though it well may have.

Remember how strict and how serious people took Sundays,best clothes worn, Sunday school for the kids, Church for the adults etc.

I remember one time before the war when I was living in Warren Park a bunch of the older guys and some of us little kids went on the Golf course on a Sunday when it of course was closed.

The older guys played pitch and toss while us little kids rolled pennies on the green into the cup. All of a sudden two Police officers appeared from behind a hedge and everybody run to avoid getting caught myself included, however they were not interested in us little kids they wanted the older guys who got on to Sandy Lane then into the cememtary and out the other side.

Not sure if they ever caught them as I headed home scared out of my wits.I think one of the Police Offficers was Chestnut,(Remember him} Mauri

Afternoon Ann, I would imagine it is the same family as it has been in business since 1936, They really run a high standard outlet comprising of 3 units one at Balmoral, one at Finaghy, and the other on the fringe of Dunmurry all with ample parking and always carry a vast stock of basic requirements , the Balmoral outlet is the latest and the smell on Sunday mornings with the bacon and sausages cooking is something to savour , Regards Ted