Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Antartica

Hi Ted, Yes getting washed over board was always a concern especially on smaller ships, on my first ship the cruiser "Nigeria" while on our way from South Africa to the Falkland Islands I very nearly was washed overboard, being seasick, myself and another guy went up on the after deck for some fresh air but as we opened the steel door and I stepped out the ship rolled violently and a huge wave hit me and washed me through the torpedo tubes to the other side of the ship where I got tangled up in the guard rails which saved me from going overboard or I would still have been in the South Atlantic now, I was never sea sick again??? Mauri

Mauri Somebody up there likes you ,you scare the hell out of me, Regards Ted

Ted, At the risk of bragging but the "Nigeria" experienc was nothing compared to the two typhoons I went through in the Yellow sea, the first one on the aircraft carrier "HMAS Sydney' in 1951 during the Korean War and the second one on passage from Hong Kong to Korea on the little 1200 ton frigate HMAS Murchison when we nearly turned right over and the first time I heard young sailors screaming in terror.??? Mauri