Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lisburn Picture House

How many of you remember the old Lisburn Picture House with Sticky Sloan as doorman,the line up for the second house stalls and balcony and another line up at the back for the pit.

During the second world war with the black out in effect breaking into the line up was common and caused many an argument especially when it was raining???

Can someone tell me what the new Cinema built on the old Golf Course is like, very modern I should think. And what was the name of the cinema in Belfast where you could buy beer during the show??. Mauri

Re: Lisburn Picture House

mauri,
i remember in the fifties the line at the pits in graham gardens. it was rough as guts then as well. a little gang of us from mckeown street used to go together when we got the money it was the days of roy rogers gene autrey
superman serial on saturday morning happy days.

Hi Thomas & Maurie, Recently the Granddaughter of A Mr Smith who was an attendant at the Pit put his Photo on Facebook and confirmed that he brought the whole family to England many years ago , I remember him well as I attended school with his sons, they lived then in Mill View which was situated facing the Old entrance to the Golf Club, at that period he was known as the professor and Barney Woods (RIP) OFTEN MENTIONED HIM on the forum. Regards Ted

Ted,Tom, Do you remember Davy Jones being brought into the pit on someone's back, thinking back I"ll never understand why he always went to the pit as he could well afford the balcony or stalls.Mauri

Mauri,I remember him well driving into the Pit in his little car and there was a gated enclosure were they let him park the car. and of course he stood on the seat to view the film ,do you remember the toilets ? how the hell we never got Berry-Berry or such like I will never know, looking back the Pit was the highlight of our excistance then . Regards Ted

mauri,
i saw davy jones regularly. he lived in buggy row, and i had an aunt there,and of course mckeown street was just across antrim street from buggy row. saw him regularly.
also when i was in raf and home on leave i used to go with my two uncles by marriage to the stores in bow street on saturday night, was a great sing song night. davy sometimes came in on someones back had a seat ON the bar and sunk a pint or two of guiness.

I remember his funeral in 1969 I think.
donald

Hi Guys, The "Stores Pub" was owned by Herbert Topping who was the next door neighbour to my Grandparents in Lismara Terrace.His son Sammy was a Telegram Boy with me during the second World War and who immigrated to Canada in the 50s.

I met up with him when I came back to Canada in 1965, unfortunatley he died a few years later of cancer and in fact I was with him in the hospital when he died.

Yes I remember the sing songs in the back room of the "Stores" as I used to frequent it when I was on leave a couple of times a year while in the "Merchant Nayv" though I preferred the "Corner House lounge". I also remember Davy Jones with his coal brick cart and his voice yelling "Coal Brick, Coal Brick"often wondered who loaded the cart for him???.

Mauri