Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Easter

" Happy Easter weekend to everybody." Good Friday today, this time sixty three years ago I was on the Australian frigate HMAS Murchison patrolling the northern waters of Australia chasing Japaneese pearling poachers, we had gone into Manus Island just north of New Guinea for the Easter Weekend.

Most of our guys were in the wet canteen on the shore base HMAS Tarangua when we were ordered to take a doctor to a neighbouring island for a medical emergency.

We had not left the base very long before it was discovered that several engine room personnel had broken into the shell magazine just below their messdeck and were into the beer that had been stored there for delivery to some Coastwatchers on a neighbouring island.

Turned out there were seven guys involved and they locked themselves into their messdeck by dropping a steel door that was normally left open on the ladder. To cut a long story short they all eventually passed out and were arrested, our ship was ordered back to Sydney, six of the seven took Captain's punishment and got ninety days in the Stockade, while the ring leader was court martialed and recived 2years and a dishonourable discharge.

Seems like only yesterday. Mauri

Re: Easter

Mauri,

Once again, another great yarn about the sea, we have said it before, you should write a book....I certainly would buy one.

Happy Easter to you and all the EXILES wherever you may be.

Beano.

Hi Mauri & Beano, Once again my response has disappeared and it is very frustrating, however here we go again , Mauri the crew members on that day were either in a holiday mood or had one massive thirst, but obviously they had safety in mind when they closed the magazine door , but they defiantly paid heavily for the few beers , then again it must have been more than a few as they were blitzed ,Here's to a happy Easter to all , and once again thanks for the reminiscence's Kind Regards Ted

Ted
I have sometimes the same problem that´s why before I post I copy what I have just wrote then if that happens I can re insert it. Just had a call from Gabriel and they will be in Norniron when we are there, a few glasses of Apple juice in Weatherspoons with yourself and some more of the forum would be super, maybe Tuesday the 24 April if they have nothing else planned
donald

Hi Beano, I have often thought about writing a book but never got around to it and a little late in life now. Have a good weekend (or whats left of it.) Mauri

Hi Ted, The guys were halfbombed when they came back to the ship and knowing their were cases of beer in the magazine the temptation was too much for them especilly being egged on by the ringleader who was a real loud mouth anyway. Mauri

Put their instead of there, must be old age or something. Mauri

Morning Donald, Will try and catch up on the 24th , yesterday brought one of the worst Easter Mondays ever I doubt very much if anyone visited the Castle Gardens this year .as there was a biting wind sleet and a fall of snow on the upper Springfield Rd the pool was almost empty and the Sauna most welcoming 'the only good thing about the day was I picked the 20/1 winner of the Irish National and a brilliant race it was ,Regards Ted

Ted
the only comfort or consolation here in Bavaria is that in the Middle Age during the Fasting period the Church introduced Beer , brewed more strongly , resulting in double alchol content to help the Monks and other Clergy to bridge the Fasting period. They had to get permission from His Holiness the Pope to drink it and they sent a sample keg on the back of a mule as there were no other means of transport then. It took so long and was exposed to heat, snow and ice that it turned sour. His Holiness , after tasting it said they could drink it.Now it is a highlight of the Fasting Season the Festival beer, "God Bless Our Pope"!
Would love to see you over here to let you try a few types of Beer. Any more word if Lidl has the Festival Beer on Thursday?
donald