Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lidl special offer next wek

Ted
keep yir eye open next week at Lidl. Here is Perlenbacher Festbier on offer next Thursday for €0,39 per half litre!!! Maybe they will have it over there also. One of the best beers brewed here with only pure ingredients. So on yir bike and git down there before they are sold out. One or two with a few potted Herrings and a soda farl would lift the wind aff yir stomach.
See ya maybe soon in Wetherspoons.

donald

Re: Lidl special offer next wek

Hi Donald, Thanks for the update , I gave the beer a by-ball for lent so if it appears I will enjoy it all the more, I have there flyer for 26/5--1st April and in isn't advertised here and of course being off it I haven't visited there off-licence for the 6 weeks previous consequently it could be in stock but I will look later , if at all possible I will catch up with in Weatherspoon's, hope this fins you both well Regards Ted

Ted
Hi Donald, Thanks for the update , I gave the beer a by-ball for lent so if it appears I will enjoy it all the more, I have there flyer for 26/5--1st April and in isn't advertised here and of course being off it I haven't visited there off-licence for the 6 weeks previous consequently it could be in stock but I will look later , if at all possible I will catch up with in Weatherspoon's, hope this fins you both well Regards Ted
Ted,
still no word about the chape Perlenbacher Festbier in Lidl at €0,39 per half litre?
I will be up early on Thursday to get a couple of cartons to keep me going until the Oktoberfest beer comes on the market arounf September. It is excellent from taste and brewed to highest quality and hygene standards. For €0,78 PER LITRE!!!! When you compare the price to a litre in a Bierhall or Oktoberfest at around €11,00! My Scottish ancestry ( McDonald) keeps appearing.
donald

Ted
on your bike and down to Lidl, saw the Perlenbacher Festbier yesterday for €0,39 per half litre, if I remember it costs more in norniron but still woth the money. . It is a time limited offer
donald

Morning Donald,Thanks for the update,as you are probably aware this last 3 weeks we have had incredible weather,consequently to avoid dehydration I have a few Perlenbacher Premuim Pils in the bottom of the fridge which I enjoy in the evenings in the garden,however I will look forward to the feist beer,I am sure I sampled it last year is it the tin with the girl with the funny hat ?,Donald hope this finds yourself and the family well, Kind Regards Ted

Donald, Regarding the potted herns ,last Friday I called with Tommy from Ardglass and inquired about the local herrings and he informed me none has been landed this season and he reckoned it would be August before we would see any , mores the pity,he had some lovely Scotch herrings but I settled for a couple of fillets of plaice which went down well,Regards Ted

Hi Donald, Regarding the Feist Beer ! it looks like a non runner as I just picked up next week's bargains and it's not listed, The flier relates mostly to back to school items and for a change no alcohol is mentioned so until it does appear I will stick with the Primer Perlenbacher for the moment, Regards Ted

Ted
it is possible that I picked up a few from the previous week as I have not been there for 2 weeks
donald

Donald and Ted,

Have you guys ever heard of Coors Beer. This was originally brewed in Colorado but then, by liscence in Alberta Canada.

It was the first American beer I was introduced to and have some presently in the fridge, In it’s aluminum cans.

Afternoon Fortycoats, Re Coors beer can be purchased In most off licences here in Belfast but like most beers brewed under licence I always think they are inferior to the original brewery, whilst in Amsterdam a while back I had the pleasure of a few litres of draught Amstel Lager which really hit the right spot and just last week I bought a 4 pack of Amstel bottles brewed under licence "Small Print" and they were very disappointing, consequently I would go for these imported beers sold in Lidl's from France and Germany and other parts of Europe which I always find most satisfactory , Cheers ! Ted

Interesting Ted, this is the stuff I dug up on Adolph Coors :

Adolph Kohrs was born in Barmen in Rhenish Prussia on February 4, 1847, the son of Joseph Kohrs (c.1820–1862) and Helena Heim (c.1820–1862). He was apprenticed at age thirteen to the book and stationery store of Andrea & Company in nearby Ruhrort from November 1860 until June 1862. His mother died on April 2, 1862. The Kohrs family moved to Dortmund, Westphalia. In July 1862, Adolph was apprenticed for a three-year period at a brewery owned by Henry Wenker in Dortmund. He was charged a fee for his apprenticeship, so he worked as a bookkeeper to pay for it. His father died on November 24, 1862. Orphaned, Adolph completed his apprenticeship and continued to work as a paid employee at the Wenker Brewery until May 1867. He then worked at breweries in Kassel, Berlin, and Uelzen in Germany.

Early in 1868, he came to the United States as an undocumented stowaway. He sailed from Hamburg to New York City and then moved to Chicago arriving on May 30, 1868. His name was changed from "Kohrs" to "Coors". He worked in the spring as a laborer, and during the summer he worked as a brewer. In the fall and winter he worked as a fireman, loading coal into the firebox of a steam engine. In the spring and summer of 1869, he worked as an apprentice bricklayer and a stone cutter. He became foreman of John Stenger's brewery on August 11, 1869, in Naperville, Illinois, about 35 miles west of Chicago.

He resigned from Stenger's brewery on January 22, 1872, and moved to Denver, arriving in April. He worked in Denver as a gardener for a month, and on May 1, 1872, he purchased a partnership in the bottling firm of John Staderman. In the same year, he bought and assumed control of the entire business.

Morning Fortycoats, With his work ethic he was born to succeed ,thanks for sharing Regards Ted

Hey Donald, we were introduced to a cheese, about 30 years ago called Bavarian Blue. I believe it is a brie cheese, my wife likes it but I am not a cheese person myself.

I know it was produced in Alberta, Canada at one time, but has since disappeared from the store shelves. At one time, we were able to purchase an entire wheel of this stuff from a little store in Coombs BC

You may know it as Bavaria Blu. Was wondering if it is popular over there.

hello all,
enjoy reading the comments on beer. have any of you tried brewing your own beer?. i have been brewing my own for 40 years or more. a company called coopers sell kits, as a basic wort and a pack of yeast to get the fermention going. i brew all sorts english bitter, mexican verbosa, english real ale, stout [with a few additives ] can be a fair guiness, an assortmeent of others. in victoria when i was working and had a few acres and a lovely deck on my house the friends at weekends were numerous, great time and all loved the beer?. i,m in gold coast at the moment, we spend summer in victoria, and winter in gold coast [don,t like cold weather] two houses great fun.
don't know as many here, but with tai - chi and things more people are tasting the home brew and liking it a lot.
not difficult to do, so why not try it, keep you out of the pubs????

Sorry Tom I just lost an answer to your message I will try again later

Fortycoats
Hey Donald, we were introduced to a cheese, about 30 years ago called Bavarian Blue. I believe it is a brie cheese, my wife likes it but I am not a cheese person myself.

I know it was produced in Alberta, Canada at one time, but has since disappeared from the store shelves. At one time, we were able to purchase an entire wheel of this stuff from a little store in Coombs BC

You may know it as Bavaria Blu. Was wondering if it is popular over there.

Hi Fortycoats
It is sold here also but we prefer the Irish chedder from Lidl during the English weeks, we buy a lot and freeze it in.
donald

Love Brie. Here in the south of England, I love the Somerset Brie, very creamy, also love the blue.

Hi Donald, "God Bless Your Appetite " Re Cheese! Next time you are home or if you come across a branch of Marks & Spencer's I suggest you try there Cornish Cruncher mature Chedder it comes in a black wrapper Its beautiful at times they sometimes have it as vintage more expensive but to die for its wrapped in a gold as it's entitled to be ,a French roll a pint and a wedge of vintage and a little onion ,Bon-appete Kind Regards Ted

Ted
remember that proverb"Hunger is a good sauce"?

No Argument there!