Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
a boul af broth

"a boul af broth"
who remembers this expression?
Another which comes to mind is "yir the quare geg"!
donald

Re: a boul af broth

Hi Donald,

Remember the Blacksmith shop in Smithfield??,It was owned by my Grandfather's brother, that was his shout "would ya lik a wee boul a broth" especially on market day. He always had this big iron pot going all the time.

Beano

Beano
My father once told me about a batchelor, who lived with his mother in Mill Street coming home at lunch time or "male our " as it was called then and his mother asked him what he would like to eat. He asked, " what is there"?
She replied " Herrns or soup" He said to her, " I,ll sup the broth while the herrns are fryin"!
donald

Donald,

I can just about smell those "Herrins", nothing I would like better right now is a potted Herring.

Beano

Beano
Donald,

I can just about smell those "Herrins", nothing I would like better right now is a potted Herring.

Beano
Beano
sometimes herself, whose mother origanlly came from the fishing village Ardglass used to make them at home here but now only in summer outside. I used to bring fresh herrings home from Munich occasionally and got some sour looks as the kitchen needs to be totally scrubbed after cooking them
donald