Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Beatlers

I remember as a boy swimming an a pool we called "The Beatlers", below what once was the Lambeg Bleach Green and later Coca Cola. It was called so because the hugh tree trunks which were used in the Beatling machines in the factory to process the cloth were soaked for months before being assembled in the machines.Beside it was a larger dam where water was drawn from for use in the factory. Many a romance started there between boys and girls from Lambeg, Hilden, Tullynacross and Drumbeg.
donald

Re: The Beatlers

Donald, just popping back in time to the forum and pleased to see you still contribute. Your connection with Hilden and beyond particularly interests me. I recall communicating with you about the Corrigans. I have just read a book by Lisburn author Paul Ferris, in which he writes of his mother, Bernadette, nee Corrigan.veryinteresting. He, Paul, was the youngest footballer ever to play for Newcastle United. Do you know of him?

Joe
Yes the name Bernadette Corrigan is familiar , she lived in Bridge Street and her married name was Ferris, a chap from the Lowroad, I think they lived in the Housing Trust estate down Millbrook. My Aunt Muriel (nee Bradley) was friendly with her.
donald

Donald, that is very interesting. I was astonished to read of Paul’s life. Whilst I never met him, his mother was my mother’s cousin. I knew Bernadette, her sister Alice and brother Joseph,and her father Jimmy who once slept in my bed when I was a child - my mum had given him,her uncle Jimmy, a night’s lodging..
Indeed, I have a very vague memory of Bernadette’s brother Patsy, who died in WW2.

Joe
checked up and found on Amazon the book " A boy on the shed ". Paul was born in 1965, a year before our oldest daughter. The front page illustration of a young boy sitting on a wall with a row of houses in the background brought back memories of Hilden. He mentioned his mother working in Hilden mill and him growing up during the "troubles" in Lisburn. His Grandmother lived in Bridge Street Hilden across from Hilden school so it is possible he attended it. I have ordered it as the sample reading from it in Amazon is excellent. I remember another boy called Danny Corrigan ( nicknamed Bunty )playing as a goalkeper for Hilden school and Hilden Rec. He was an excellent footballer so perhaps it is in the Gender.
donald

Good book, yes. You mention Danny. I never heard of him until last week, when another of my brothers says he met Danny several times at golf courses.

Joe
Danny must be about my age = 73, he attended Hilden school when I did, like I said an excellent goalkeeper. He had an older brother but I cannot remember his name.
donald

Donald, Danny's older brother was Joe ! there fathers name was Bunty Joe is in England and Danny lives in Antrim were I have had the pleasure of having lunch with him a couple of times recently the greatest of company,and he was very much involved in the golf club there 'Regards Ted

Hi Joe,Regarding Bernadette's brother Joseph many years ago in Luton I ran into Joseph and we ended up in a pub crawl and after we parted that night I never heard of him again and I often wondered what became of him ,would you know what became of him ? Regards Ted

Ted
Josey is still in Luton as far as I know. My brother Maurice spent manyweekends at his house.

Thanks Joe,Going back to that period must be 60 years ago ,we started in The George that night and ended in the Compaceis pub and I happen to fall on leaving and ended up in the Luton & Dunstable hospital were I had to have stitches in a head wound which was bad enough but the hangover the following morning was unforgettable .so once again Joe thanks its nice to know he made his home there .Kind Regards Ted

donald
Joe
checked up and found on Amazon the book " A boy on the shed ". Paul was born in 1965, a year before our oldest daughter. The front page illustration of a young boy sitting on a wall with a row of houses in the background brought back memories of Hilden. He mentioned his mother working in Hilden mill and him growing up during the "troubles" in Lisburn. His Grandmother lived in Bridge Street Hilden across from Hilden school so it is possible he attended it. I have ordered it as the sample reading from it in Amazon is excellent. I remember another boy called Danny Corrigan ( nicknamed Bunty )playing as a goalkeper for Hilden school and Hilden Rec. He was an excellent footballer so perhaps it is in the Gender.
donald
Book arrived just now, looking through it I saw photos from Paul´s parents, Patrick and Bernadette and they look just like I remember them. I think Bernadette worked in Hilden mill in the early 60s as did her mother. Hard to believe it´s over 60 years ago.
donald

Donald. Sixty years time has passed like six.

Joe
correct, time goes by compared to a roll of toilet paper, the nearer it gets to the end the faster it goes!
donald