Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Slow Forum

Looks like everybody is waiting for somebody else to start a conversaton??, I would tell of some of my experiences in three navies and an air force but don't want to be accused of bragging or stretching the truth as I was before.

I guess there are not too many of you who remember the war years in Lisburn?, anti tank barricades at most roads leading into the town, army vehicles both British and American all over the place, the black out, testing of Air Raid Sirens (Remember that} and then of course the actual air raids on Belfast in 1941
which strangley enough drew people out into to the street instead of the Air Raid Shelters. I could go on and on but better not. Chow. Mauri

Re: Slow Forum

How many of you remember "Newforge" or as it was more commonly known as "Burnhouse" the animal factory at Halftown just before the Maze road. The smell from that place used to be terrible at times.

Sometimes a dead horse or cow would slip into the "Back River would ran just behind the factory and float down towards the "Lagan"and as a the river used to be a popular swimining spot the sight of the dead animal in the river sure cleared it in a hurry.

I guess that area is all built up now though I wonder how they got rid of the river or is it still there, maybe somebody can enlighten me. Thanks Mauri

Re: Slow Forum

Hi Mauri.I well remember Burnhouse as twice weekly we use to deposit the fish waste there after processing the days catch .and the river is still there. We often swam in that river further out the Moira Road past Burn house it was brilliant then as it was great heading in of the high banks and the summers seemed longer and warmer then' Regards Ted