Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another Go

Lets try again to relive the forum, remember how much effort Jim put into building it up and now we are letting it go.
donald
Weather here is getting warmer, on Monday I was in Munich centre and the Biergarten in Viktualen Market was open with the first customers washing down Weis Wurst and Pretzels with a litre or two of good Bavarian Beer.
On Sunday we celebrate St Patrick´s Day here in Munich ( always the Sunday before the 17th), marching to music from Irish and Bavarian Bands and when we arrive at Odeonsplatz the Munich Lord Mayor and the Irish Consul are waiting to greet us. Then a few pints of Guinness or a glass or two of wine in the Wine House will quench our thirst.
donald

Re: Another Go

Thanks for this Donald. You have adapted very well to German life and have taken on board all there is to offer, and good for you. I don't suppose you and herself would want to return to Nornire for the rest of your lives, or did the notion ever occur to you. I know a couple who lived in Australia and enjoyed it our there but have returned to spend their old age in the Lisburn area. I had not seen the woman since we left school, but when I last visited home, my friend invited her and I recognised who she was instantly, and was delighted to see her. They have happily settled in Hillsborough.

Liz
We are both very content here and do not want to spend the rest of our lives living anywhere else as in Aubing Munich. Our kids and grandkids live not too far away, the medical treatment is excellent and all our friends are here. Even when I heard that Hilden was being re-built I could not imagine returning although I used to joke with lowercase about Hildeners from the past, Mickey Sharkey and Ton Traynor for example. That encouraged me to write the poem about Hilden
donald

DEATH OF A VILLAGE (Hilden)

Two rows of houses, back to back with worn down steps of stone
Once bustling with activity now standing bare and lone
I lived there all my childhood years when sorrows I had none
Each new day brought sport and play, boyhood games and fun
Many chose to wander from the shadow of the mill
Some went to England, some further still
To America or Austriala, those lands far and wide
I wonder if they ever think of that place by Lagan side
Of the friends there or the good times
Where they spent their growing years
I know myself where ere I think
I must hold back the tears
Many a happy moment was spent in that old place
Now it´s dead, it´s spirit quenched
By lifetime´s hectic pace!

Nice one Donald, Were there's life there's hope, by coincidence yesterday evening on TV I watched a program which SHOWED THE COASTLINE of Rathlin Island from the sea and the caves that are littered along it and I remember a story from the distant past that some Patriot whilst taken flight hid in one of these caves and watched the spider constructing its web which in turn inspired him to return and complete his mission, Hence "Re Another Go" Best of Luck !

It might have been Bonnie Prince Charlie, and then again it might not !

Donald
Enjoy Munich, it is a beautiful city. When we have visited I am always surprised to see the restaurants and coffee houses open late at night, say after a show in the evening, and so much going on there.

I have seen your poem before but it does make my eyes fill with tears, there just is nowhere like "home". "I wonder if they ever think of that place by Lagan side". Well Exiles everywhere, do you? Lets hear from you!

Donald, Nice try, good for you. Loved your poem as I shared that lovely childhood. We need Ann, Pat,Mauri,lowercase and lowroader back with all their great stories. Come on out and play with us usins. Cheers Pam

Pamela, Liz, Ted etc.
Hope the forum is raising up again, maybe a few more will start contributing and we will get back to our old banter .
Herself and I took a drive today through Tegernsee , past Achensee to Austria and had a Schnitzel in batter with chips and a salad in a mountain resturant named Rieder in Jenbach. The view from there is excellent, lowercase can confirm this,on the way back I had planned to stop in the Brewery Tegensee as they have an excellent special brew but was afraid of being caught in the traffic of those returning from their ski excursions, the mountains were still covered with snow.
Tomorrow is Paddy´s day in Munich, the true born sons of Paddy´s land and other groups from all around Europe and other places march along one of the main streets, accompanied by different musical groups and Folklore down to the town centre where we buy a few pints of Guinness or beer and listen to the prominent speakers. Maybe herself and I will go afterwards into one of the Irish Pubs for a fish supper
donald

Hi Donald,

Thank you Thank you, for the retry, fingers crossed. My daughter will tell me when I have something special on Facebook, I checked it out today. Lo and behold this is Mauri's birthday, so Happy Happy Birthday my friend, have a wonderful evening.
I have been out of Lisburn since 1961 when I married my wife Doreen. I joined the Forum 2004/5, verbally I have met people I had never met, others were people I had known growing up. So for me it was a sad day when it dried up. As I said before, I am having a hard time with Rheumatoid Arthritis and it takes me a while to type anything. I am sure you know what it is like, fixing double hits and I am not the fastest typist anyway.

WELL DONE Ireland winning the Rugby championship.

Beano

Looks like (hopefully ) we are on our way up again. Looking forward to a few biffs in Tuesday Bell ( God´s Waiting Room to quote Lowercase ) next month and a wee dander down the towpath past Scott,s Locks at Lisnatrunk where I first saw the light of day in the same bedroom as Lowercase and Hilden Boy only earlier. Maybe a pint of Hilden Halt Ale in the Brewery and a fish supper later in Lisburn.If I have time down further to the pishing mare and the witch hole. Reading the Lambeg book I was confused about Wolfenden´s Bridge, I never heard any bridge called that, I only knew the High Bridge, Hilden Bridge and Lambeg Bridge which crossed the Lagan and Canal at where Coca Cola and the Chains were. Can anyone help me here?
donald

Hi Beano, Thanks for your birthday greetings, hard to believe I turned 88 on the 10th though I feel like 28 (I wish). It was good talking to you on the phone yesterday and I will return your call soon. Sorry to hear about your medical problems and hope they improve soon. Take Care Mauri

Our daughter has surprised us by inviting us to an Irish evening in Puchheim near Munich tonight . Irish dancers and musicians are performing and hopefully we can purchase a few good Bavarian beers as it is unlikely that Guinness will be on sale

Maybe someone out there can arrange a Forum meeting in God´s waiting room (Weatherspoons) or Hilden Brewery . Am looking forward to a wee dander down the line to bring back memories.

donald

mauri,
congratulations on your 88 thats a great score. i,ve just returned from a trip to grampion mountains and switched on and it all looks good and running thanks to donald. good luck

A wee get together in Weatherspoons would be nice, my suggestion would be Friday 20 April around lunchtime, maybe those who can or would like to come could say so here and someone could manage it by bookig a table when we know how many are coming.
donald

Thanks Tom, but you have me puzzled, I thought I knew Australia pretty well having travelled all round and all over it but where are the Grampian mountains,?? the only mountains that I remember are the Blue in NSW.you learn something every day???? Mauri

hiya mauri
the grampians are in middle of victoria,where i am now, in melbourne victoria we go back to gold coast this wednesday,it's all go. nearest towns in grampians are halls gap, ararat, stawell, it's fairly near to ballarat. all old gold mining area. very interesting area, google it for a look tom