Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Snow and ice in norniron

Read just now that norniron is expecting lots of snow and ice at the weekend

The warning reads: "Scattered wintry showers are expected with ice likely to form on untreated pavements, cycle paths and roads. Some roads and railways are likely to be affected with longer journey times by road, bus and train services. Some injuries from slips and falls are possible on icy surfaces."

Better watch out on your way home from Weatherspoons
donald

Re: Snow and ice in norniron

We are up to our oxters here in snow since yesterday, and it is very chilly. Walking up the road to our local pub a short time ago I met a brass monkey who asked me if there was a workshop near here which did welding
donald

Hi Donald,

I like the brass monkey bit. Do you know of a place called New Holland at Lisnatrunk, what is it or what was it???. A few friends from the Irish Club and I were talking about what our families worked at back home One said his Grandfather worked at New Holland, none of us knew anything about it including Sean himself, do you know what it is ???.

Beano

Beano
New Holland was named so because Hughenots who came over from Holland settled there and started a Linen Bleaching Green. It then became the Sewerage works for Lisburn Council,I do not know if it still is. It is on the County Down side of the Lagan at Hilden, facing Hilden mill. A family called Rogan lived there in the Caretaker´s house in my childhood, the father worked there and a son called David attended Hilden school in my class.
donald

Read this morning online in the norniron newspaper that parts of Northern Ireland are expecting 4 inches of snow today, the "beast from the East" is apparently still hanging about
donald

At Easter the "Beast from the East" is expected to return to UK and cause chaos together mit -10C and rail strikes.
donald

Hi Donald,

Thanks for that info on "New Holland" I will pass it on tomorrow at the Irish Club coffee morning.

Do you or anyway else on the Forum ever hear of Sam Cree from Sloan St. in the Co Down??. Sam was a very prolific writer for James Young and Joseph Tomelty and many more, unfortunately he died in his late 40s.

Beano

Hi Donald

Could you tell me where (GIBSONS BIGHT )is on the lagan ,as mentioned in the book ,by May Blair .
Hope yourself ,and the family are all well.
Regards!
Thomas

Tommy
Hi Donald

Could you tell me where (GIBSONS BIGHT )is on the lagan ,as mentioned in the book ,by May Blair .
Hope yourself ,and the family are all well.
Regards!
Thomas
Thomas
Gibson´s Bight is situated near Lock 3 which is close to Shaw´s Bridge and Edenderry
donald