Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cornation Queen Elisabeth 11

Anyone out there remember the Cornation Queen Elisabeth on June 2 1953? I remember marching frm Hilden school to the Wallace Park. I had just turned 9. A day or before we were given a tin box of Smarties. the older pupils got a coin with the Queen´s head.I also remember her father,s death on February 6 1952. Lots of people wore on their lapel a copper badge of his head, filed from a penny coin where his image was and mounted on a black piece of cloth.
donald

Re: Cornation Queen Elisabeth 11

donald
i remember it well. i was living in mckeown street with my granny and the adults set up a table and we had a party,lollypops sweets all sorts of goodies. in the middle of it came the news that everest had been clinbed by the new zealand man [can't remember the name] and sherpa tensing what a day that was.

Tom
I checked on the internet and it said Sir Edmund Hillary.
donald

Hi Donald and Tom,

There where other firsts in 1953 as well as the Coronation, Everest being one, Gordon Richards won his first Epsom Derby, Stanley Matthews won an F.A. Cup Medal with Blackpool, Sir Winston Churchill was knighted, he also suffered a stroke that year...and lots more. It is wonderful what Google does to stir the old memory.

The snow continues to fall here in Niagara, 25cm expected in the latest storm. Our Temp.last night were -19c, it is supposed to warm up next week for a couple of days .....fingers crossed.

Beano