Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Taxi Service

What do people do in Lisburn now when they want a taxi, do they have to phone for one or is there a taxi parking spot like there used to be on the square, I still remember some of the owners and drivers names like Billy Wills, Davy Fulton, Cambell Thompson,Jim Thompson, I used them quite a bit over theyears to go to Aldergrove Airport or the Heysham boat.Memories??? Mauri

Re: Taxi Service

Good question Mauri. I have one too. Where can one rent a car in Lisburn??

Mauri here in Belfast we have the people's taxis ,they originated during the troubles when the buses were being burnt people bought up old London Taxies firstly on the Falls and the Shankill and the Crumlin Rd and created an association which provides taxies running from different points in the City centre to all the main outlying estates you share the taxies with other people and when he is near your destination you rap the glass partition to inform him to stop and I think it's a standard fare equivalent to that of the bus or maybe cheaper,regarding private hacks you are spoiled for choice it's just a matter lifting the phone ,Allen regarding self drive in Lisburn I am not sure at the moment, if you would like me to confirm I would ask around for you if required, Regards Ted

Allen, Type in CarRental.com then Lisburn and you might get satisfaction ,best of luck? Ted

Allen / Ted
Wouldn´t it be better to check the prices at the Airport, it´s only a few miles away from Lisburn and as there are a number of car hire firms the prices would be more competitive.
donald

Ted/Donald,
Thanks for the responses. I tried the website Ted and had little success. Donald, airport is the place to rent. However this trip I am using Delta skymiles and Delta doesn't fly into NI. I am flying to Dublin and then making my way up. Really don't want to rent in Dublin so I am taking a coach my friend told me about. It will drop me off in Lisburn where I can be met, then hope to get a car. Can't believe as big as Lisburn has become there is no rental agency?
Again thanks for the responses.
Allen

Hi Allen,

The coach is great, we used it last time home, you can book online and it is very reasonable.
However if you want a car to rent in Dublin check out "Dan Dooley" car rentals, very reasonable rates. Problem for me is I turned "80" year before last so for me the insurance was way too high.
By the way, they rent in Belfast through Enterprise.

Beano

Hi Allen , The coach is ideal once you find the stop on exiting the airport and you can then exit the coach at the stop at the shopping centre at Lisburn, if you require any assistance regarding a lift to your fi9nal destination conntech me and I might be able to assist you. Regards Ted

Allen
I just booked a rented car from Dublin over the portal = check 24. It costs for 10 days €120 from Budget with all insurances including crossing the border into norniron. The insurance coverage at this rate is for persons up to 75. The bus down and up costs around £10 per person each way which would be around £40 for herself and I up and down. This means I,m getting it for £80 plus a few gallons of petrol.