Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Musical Bands

How many of you remember Lisburn Silver Band with Leslie Corken as conductor, Lisburn Accordian Band and Lisburn Pipe Band, then of course there was the Church Lads Brigade Drum and Bugle Band of which I was a member and the "Boys Brigade Drum and Bugle band. I think I have covered them all, no I have'nt there was also Lisburn Flute Band.

Have no idea which of these bands still exist if any??, time marches on,when I went to HMS St.Vincent the boys training establishment in January 1946 we were the first class in after the war so a Drum and Bugle band was formed in which I was a drummer we had a Marine instructor so didn't take long to become pretty good.and when our class left a year later to go to sea they led us out. Memories. Mauri

Re: Musical Bands

mauri,
i was in lisburn junior silver band under leslie corken, meeting beside the police station nice outings we played a few concerts in the orange hall.
also billy [beano] and i were in christ church clb and top buglers in the band playing at cenotaphs etc. and being driven [too young for a licence] to churches all over on remambrance day for last post and reveille time flies

I would probably have seen you then as we would have been coming from mass on the Sunday morning in November when the Silver band would have accompanied all the council dignataries at the Castle gardens I remember that Mr Corkin.s he lived in Grove St then,

Tom, I was in the Junior Training Corps with Sam Waring, I was also a bugler in the band untill I left to go in the Navy I think you and Beano must have come after me.

When I say I was a bugler I should add I was still learning and my preference was to be a drummer as I had learned to drum at an early age but for some reason Jack Curry never let me at the drums, however as I have said I did become a drummer in HMS St.Vincent's bugle band,have sometimes regretted not going into the Royal Marines as a Boy Bugler & Drummer at least untill reaching 18 years old

Mauri

Mauri
I was probably the only person to get expelled from Lisburn Silver Band, yet my father Tommy, uncle Billy and grandfather Billy all won medals.
I am the only tone deaf person in my family. lol

Ron, Why did you get expelled. was it because you were tone deaf though I'm not sure I understand what that is?? enlighten me???. Mauri

Hi Mauri and Tom,

I joined the CLB 1945/46 and joined the band 1949. Hoping like you Mauri to become a drummer, instead I became a bugler. I was good enough to win the silver bugle and band cup several times, and as Tom mentioned we had a great time playing Last Post on Remembrance Sunday. Great Memories.

Mauri,

That was great craic about you and your buddies on a wild weekend in Hong Kong, you certainly piled a lot o adventure in your time in the services.

Beano

Mauri
They first gave me a Cornet, was useless on that,then tried on Bass broke the mouthpiece. But while i love music as a listener,I could not hold a tune.Good at recitation but no good with songs.I think my grandfather had them expel me as I was an embarrassment to him.
On a different subject what we are talking about is the reason the forum will live we all must involve and share.

I remember the Lisburn Silver Band playing concerts in the pavilion in the Wallace Park which was situated below thw duck pond in the 50s and 60s, If I remember correctly a neighbour from Hilden Jim Richerson played in it.
donald

Hi Donald,

Jim Richardson's father and my Mother- Law are full cousins. Small world, last time I spoke to Jim was 1977, he was visiting his Mother in the Lagan Valley. I was visiting my own Mother at the time. I had a call in Canada that my Mother would not last three days lo and behold she lived another 12yrs.,the Irish are tough.

Beano

Beano
I remember the family, his older brother Bobby had an Insurance office in Bow Street in the 60s, they lived a few doors above us in Hilden. Pamela, if she looks in would remember them also.
donald

Hi Donald,

I think the older brother Bobby played Hockey for Lisnagarvey, am I right??? I didn't know him personally. There was another Jim Richardson who worked with my brother in Mackies he was also related.

Beano

Beano, Would Jim Richardson be any relation the family of Richardsons who lived on the Longstone, there was Geordie,Jack,Kenny,Norman Eileen,Peggy their Dad was the head gardner at Gracie's house in Macherlave Park,probably spelt that wrong.Mauri

Beano
Hi Donald,

I think the older brother Bobby played Hockey for Lisnagarvey, am I right??? I didn't know him personally. There was another Jim Richardson who worked with my brother in Mackies he was also related.

Beano
Beano
that Jim Richardson lived in Lambeg if I remember correctly.

Hi Donald,

You are spot on, Jim Richardson did live in Lambeg. All these families lived originally in the railway cottages in Derriaghy, grandparents and great grandparents etc.

Beano

Hi Mauri,

I don't think the Richardson family from the Longstone were related.

Beano