Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Larne-Stranear Ferry

Hard to believe that we are into another year??. Was thinking its 72 years this month from when I first left Lisburn on a cold wet windy day, where the heck have the years gone.?? I travelled on the Larne-Stranear ferry and a rough crossing it was, however not as bad as the one some years later when the same ferry sank with heavy loss of life.remember the "Princess Victoria" I think was the name of the ferry that was lost.better cut off here as I have had a couple zonked. Mauri

Re: Larne-Stranear Ferry

I travelled once with that ferry, returning from the Vaterland to norniron for a holiday around 1972. First from Dunkirk to Dover, driving down then to Stranear. We were 2 days travelling from Munich to Lisburn, unthinkable today but we could not afford to fly then we were 4 people and you also needed a car to get around in norniron. Also there were no direct flights from Munich to Dublin or Belfast, it meant staying overnight in London which was expensive. Today you can fly direct for as little as €99 return. How times have changed.
donald

i still vividly remember the sinking of the ferry [back door left open they say] i was home on leave i think from england and it was on tv.
as it was sinking the captain on the bridge walked forward to the front rail and gripped it with his left hand. as the ship was going underwater he saluted and maintained the salute until he disappeared out of sight. what a brave man. i can still see it in my minds eye,had a big effect on me tom

Tom, I was in Sydney when it happened and only found out months later a guy from Coleraine who had been a boy with me in the Royal Navy went down with it as did a married couple parents of another friend from Belfast.

She should never have sailed as the weather forecast was atrocious and as soon as she cleared the Loch the Captain realized this and tried to turn round but the rear doors caved in during the turn what a disaster??. Mauri

I don't think it was the stranrar ferry that sank I think it was a ferry from wales as I had pidgeons on the ferry that sank thousands of birds died trying to get home from wales

Gregg St.Boy, Google "Princess Victoria" disaster and you will be convinced it was the "Larne-Stranear ferry that went down? Mauri