Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
potted herrings

Am in Munich market on Tuesday and if Herrings are on offer I will bring some home to pott. Last week they cost €14,90 per Kilo!!!!. Xmas is past so hopefully we will see some more posts now.
Happy New Year everybody, even the lurkers.
donald

Re: potted herrings

Good Morning Donald and a happy New Year to yourself and family,God bless your appetite ,Potted Herrings a good way to get back to normal home cooking after all the festive feasting ,as for myself I would wait to June or July when the Ardglass herring was being landed before I could tackle a few as that's when I like them best warm and just out of the oven ,in the meantime hope the boat comes in and mind the bones Regards Ted

Hi Ted
was in town this morning but herself forbid me to bring herrings home as she cannot bear the smell of them cooking in the kitchen. I have a glass jar at home , fried and in vinegar steeped. Not as tasty as self made in malt vinegar but they will do until the spring when I can use my electric pan and fry them on the balcony.

hi guys I loved potted herrings from felix elmore.
I remember the ardglass herrings delived to our house by a man with a horse and cart.

Hi Donald, There's no doubt the smell definitely lingers,like yourself I have an electric pan and a long lead so I pull the bin round just under the kitchen window place the Pan on top and I fry about 4 at a time coated with fine porrage oats 3 for me and one for herself,please God this season I will roll a dozen or so and see how they turn out potted ,this pan is a big heavy cast iron one with a heating element under it and would be ideal for potting I'm drooling as I think of them Gregg St boy there is a possibility I may have rolled your herrings out of Felix's as I rolled hundreds when working there from 1949 to 1955as well as boiling the beetroot they both went well together hot,Regards Ted

Ted

was in the Augustiner Bierhall beside the brewery this morning, had a couple of half litres ( €2,40 each) accompanied by a portion of meat loaf and potato salad. Shortly before leaving at lunch time I spotted the giant rear grilled pigs knees ( Schweinshaxen) with a take away price from €6,90 !!!! Couldn´t resist buying one. I remember when I could have eaten one alone now herself and I have to struggle to eat it together in two sittings. If Lowercase reads this his mouth will water.

donald

Morning Donald, I must say that was a nice mornings shopping and I envy you your appetite,regarding Pat and myself one fishsupper is suffice for us both now and there's still chips left,fabulous morning here at the moment hard frost and clear blue sky ,Cheers Ted

Ted

Saturday was a public holiday here and in Austria. Herself and I took a drive to a resturant called Riederer at Fischl, Jenbach in Austria and stopped for a Wiener Schnitzel and chips, accompanied by a salad and of course a beer. The drive there is fantastic, you pass the Achensee and Tegernsee where there is another of my favourite beers brewed. It´s lowercases favourite watering holes when he comes here. Last time we stopped with him there was when we were returning from Lake Garda in Italy, another nice place to stay.

donald