Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Martin Luther

Happy Halloween and Reformation Day. Today is a Public Holiday in the Vaterland to celebrate the 500th Anniversity of Martin Luther nailing his Theses on the Church Door in Wittenberg.
donald

Re: Martin Luther

..and we acknowledged it Sunday, on Edisto South Carolina.

...and Halloween is my Dads birthday , God rest his soul.

Allen.

Allen, how ye doin lad, hope ye kept yer squibs dry down Shingle Creek way.

Watched Martin Luther on tv last night, agree with him about exploition of God,s teaching,something like the scandals of today.

But a Church that God created May need cleansing but not a new religion founded.

As Jesus promised

Behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the World,

That,s good enough for me. Pat

Fortycoats,

See your humour is still dry too. Say Hello to Francis.

PAT

Pat
I,ve been to Wittenberg many years ago after the border between East and West Germany fell where Martin Luther nailed his Theses on the door.I also visited his place of birth ( and death) in Eisleben. Thank goodness my Gran did not live to hear that as she would have condemned me for blackening my immortal Soul by even going near such a place. She was the belief that only Catholics would be admitted to Heaven but that was how many of that generation were reared.
donald

Pat and all.
I'm sure you know that The reformation process started in 1517 and concluded in 1521 when Luther finally broke from Rome. I have always found a difficulty with the word Reformation. To me that word means gathering together and making good or repairing something that we already have. Luther in my opinion did not reform but in actual fact broke away and founded a new religion. well that's my take on it. But more importantly did you know that since the conclusion of the reformation in 1521 until 1996 there have been over 25,000 further breaks (new Religions) from Luther's reformation and that new sects, religions etc are being formed at a rate of 250 per week world wide since 1996 until present day.
I am a cradle Catholic who made the decision to keep faith with the religion Jesus himself left us. But I look and question why things happen. my conclusion is that its The sins of Men, not the faith Jesus left that needed making good and sometimes still does.
Final point, why did it take Luther or anyone 1,517 years since the birth of Jesus to find out or suggest that the faith Jesus left was wrong and why did Luther state in his 95 Articles of Faith that he nailed to the door of Whitten Cathedral that we are justified by Faith Alone (Sola Fide). Nowhere in holy scripture did St. Paul tell us we were justified by Faith ALONE (Sola Fide). According to Scripture he actually said that we are justified by Grace alone, that is Faith working in love through Jesus Christ.
If anybody is interested Read Scott Hann's book "Rome Sweet Home" and see the his Journey from Presbyterian Pastor to Roman Catholic Scholar and the discoveries he made on that journey. He brought me back to my faith.
I'll climb down from my soap box and smash it.
My post is personal comment and not intended to cause division.
God Bless, to all.

Hello 40,
No "squibs" on Edisto, I am probably the only one here that knows what a "squib" is?
I saw that you were at Myrtle Beach and I think Charleston, but how on earth did you find Shingle Creek on Edisto?
I live on "no name creek", not too far from Shingle and have "fished" on Shingle quite often though not lately.
I presume you have been here? would like to know when?
Are you by chance friends with the O'Leary's from Columbia SC?
They brought quite a few children here during the "troubles".
I met folks from Dunmurry, Lambeg, Derriaghy and Lisburn over the years with
many children from all of those places.
It was wonderful to hear my accent and go right back to it..which I do very easily.
The children were the center of attention and I remember their excitement at being at Edisto.
Would love for all of you to visit, it is a wonderful Island.
Come on I have room.
Allen.

Patricia, ye don’t mine me callin’ ye Pat do ya.

Frances is doing fine and probably reads these pages every day on her wee eye-pad. Her eyesight is not what it used to be but she manages to get off the odd e-mail and somehow keeps up correspondence with all her contacts, thank you for asking.

I understand that you had been experiencing problems with your auld knee, I hope these have eased off a lot since your operation and that you and Joe are still enjoying life in Clare.

Life here in the Golden Years is not quite like we were expecting, too many, way too many medical appointments. Before we can accept appointments these days, we have to check our calendar on the pad to see if we are free.

Our trips south have lessened to a large degree, whereas we used to take off about four times a year, we find this is cut down to Christmas and April. This year we visited southern Oregon, Reno, Elko and Boise, a long trip but we don’t regret it.

We are looking forward to a trip down to Seven Feathers, in Oregon this Christmas as it is only a day and a half away. We always celebrate Xmas here early, with son Stephen and his wife Cori before taking off to spend his inheritance. Actually we only play the penny slots and get away well below budget.

Stan & Fran

Allen, regret that I have not been anywhere near Medisto, looks like a beautiful place when I look it up in the Street App. I have a habit of using this App along with White Pages to locate areas and people with whom I correspond.

My wife Frances and I immigrated to Calgary in 1958 and we lived there for about 30 years before moving to the Parksville / Qualicum area of Vancouver Island, then finally to our retirement home here in Courtenay.

Thank you for your kind invitation to come visit, but regretfully we don’t fly any more, choosing instead to drive and stop at our convenience, usually in the NW states or Western Canada.

Patrick,

Well written post with which I agree. Tracing my Catholic religion back to Jesus Cconfirms my belief. GOD does not make mistakes.

Men create scandals, they were always there.

The teaching if Christ is lasting so all else will pass.

As He said The Kingdom of Heaven is within you. Not in outward show or celebrations, all other things are the work of wicked people.

Now I will climb down from my soapbox. GOD BLESS....PAT

Fortycoats,

Always nice to hear from you,glad Francis and yourself are well

Like you say we have slowed down, spending more time at home,for one reason that it takes more time now to do tasks,!

My knee is performing fine, after tinges if I overdo things but no complaints, all down to wear and tear, the years are there as my Doctor reminds me.

We must take every day as a blessing, get on with living, good luck with the gaming machines,we have the lotto? Never won anything in my life but what the Hell, we can always hope.

Love to you both....Pat

Hi Pat. I had lost my Internet connection and could not reply until now, so thank you for your reply and words of encouragement.
Pat, get the book I mentioned and read for yourself the journey that Scott Hann and his wife Kimberly travelled. I had heard of converts to whatever faith a person converted to but Scott Hann taught me personally a new word...REVERT....He brought home to me the beauty of the faith I thought I knew. Heart Breaking and Heart warming.
THIS TIME THE SOAPBOX IS REALLY DISMANTLED.
An early merry CHRISTmass to all.
Patrick

Patrick,

Thanks for replying, I intend to order that book, tho, I believe Life,s experiences learn us great & truthful lessons, IF we take them.

I wish you too a very Happy Christmas pity it is getting earlier every year so to go with the times we must start getting those lights & decorations down from the attic. A difficult job at this age, better wait for one of the grandsons to call.

Hope you will visit the Forum often, we welcome new contributers. Variety is the spice of life. Bye for now.

Pat