Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thanks for the 4th time

Hi all,

Been rejected or non post 4 times so will keep this short.

Thanks a million for yourj prayers & thoughts,much appreciated.

Not too bad in our area this time we are thankful for to be safe, no damage to trees etc, except a branch of a Weeping Willow down.

Hope this goes this time, bye for now, thanks again. Pat

Re: Thanks for the 4th time

Pat etc.
does anyone remember the Weeping Willow in the Castle Gardens? It was between the Convent and the drinking fountain, I remember in the late 40s, just before our mother died sitting with her on a bench below it with my brother Lowercase in a pram and asking her why it was named a Weeping Willow. She jokingly replied, " When one of your children die then you come here to weep"! Last time I was in Lisburn it was still standing.
donald

I do remember it Donald ,but many years since I last noticed it ,I use to pass it every morning on the way to school ,must go out of my way and have a look at it first opportunity I get ,Donald it has just struck me I saw a photo of the park after the recent storm and a large tree fell just beside the fountain, hope it's not it !will check Regards Ted

Ted
do you mean Hilden Park?
donald

Sorry Donald I just come across your query ,I mean the fountain in the Castle Gardens at the main entrance ,the tree just missed the fountain ,I wish I knew were I came across the photo I would share it with you We were supposed to be experiencing another storm last evening named Brain but it was downgraded to high winds ,Cheer's Ted

Ted
I read about those Wallace Fountains, they were a gift to Paris, Lisburn and other cities from Sir Richard Wallace. Brgitte Bardot also owns one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_fountain
donald

Donald,

It was said that if you walked round that Weeping willow 3 times you could see the Devil on the top.!

Pat...never dared try it.

Pat
I did not need to walk around that tree to see him, we were related, I married his sister!!!!
donald