Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Happiest Place to live in GB

From a survey taken recently, Northern Ireland has come out on top as the happiest place to live in Britain. Several things were taken into consideration before determining the winner, but I know good health and lack of crime were included. It just shows that even with the poor weather compared to the south of England, etc, we oul Northerners battle on and accept our lot. We're a hardy bunch. I know we have a unique sense of humour and a bluntness that I believe comes from our Ulster Scots heritage. We speak as we find but we are renowned for our willingness to help and to offer friendship and hospitality to those who need it. I am looking out the kitchen window at a drizzly, dull early evening but somehow I feel better for knowing we are the best in Britain.

Re: The Happiest Place to live in GB

Ann,

Very glad to hear that as it wasn,t always so, the happiest place to live is where contentment reigns & you are not afraid to rest at night or open your door when someone knocks.

Each to his own as the saying goes, we are in our happiest place at present, down a long boreen surrounded by farmland, seeing few people each day but peace reigns.

As you say blunt speech is our failing and I am saying it like it was and is now.

Pat

Ann / Pat

Home is where the heart is!I sometimes miss norniron but feel very content, happy and secure here in Munich. Probably it is the Celtic connections between Ireland and Bavaria making both races like each other. No doubt having my children and grandkids living beside us helps

donald

Funny just received an email from my cousin who has a house in Lisburn but normally lives in London and is employed at Heathrow airport. Both her parents who lived in the house long deceased so she has someone in the neighbourhood to look after the house while she is in London. She has just returned from a trip to Vancouver but in her email was complaining about the number of stores closed and the lack of a good restaurant in Lisburn

I was surprised as I remember a few times I was over eating out in good restaurants in the Lisburn vicinity, wasn't there one in OB Grahams old house in Larchfield, I may have got that wrong but always remember being out there one night while on visit to Lisburn and on the return trip nearly going through a barrier of Police and Military this was back in the days of the troubles.

Another one I think was in the Lambeg or Derriaghy area or maybe that was a pub with a dining room. Mauri

I wonder Mauri would that have been the old Stagecoach Inn on the Derriaghy straight

Mauri, there are lots of eating places in Lisburn, but I wouldn't recommend every single one. There are a few nice places to eat. I had my lunch last week in the Bistro in Lisburn Square and it is one place I could recommend very much; the food is always first class and the staff are efficient and friendly. A new Italian restaurant has opened in Lisburn Square also. I haven't been but it looks good with little tables outside and attractive lighting inside. Can't vouch for the food but at least it looks the part. Must try there sometime as I like Italian food. Another diner has opened in the Square. I just forget the name but the young people seem to like it, going by my grandchildren anyhow. I was in M&S on Tuesday and had a nice Posh Welsh Rarebit in their bistro. It was delicious.

To add insult to injury for those who have been offended in some way by the statistics that NI is the happiest place in the UK, I forgot to mention that Belfast is the safest city in EUROPE. Times change, thank goodness, and for the better.

Ted, Yes the "Stage Coach Inn" was one place that I was in a few times along with another restaurant {pub} in Lambeg and another one up around Castlerobin or just outside the Derriaghy area??.

Ann, My cousin is only in Lisburn a couple of times a year though I think she is going to retire there which is the reason she holds on to the house. Maybe when she is there permantley she will find a good eating spot???. Mauri

Mauri, while there may not be a lot of large restaurants in Lisburn itself, there are plenty on the periphery of the city. Moira, where my daughter lives, is a popular place for eateries, with live music at weekends. Hillsborough, too, is well known for at least a couple of good restaurants. So, if you have a car, there's no problem in finding somewhere nice to eat. Maybe I'll meet your cousin when she moves back to Lisburn.

Pat

Ann,

Very glad to hear that as it wasn,t always so, the happiest place to live is where contentment reigns & you are not afraid to rest at night or open your door when someone knocks.

Each to his own as the saying goes, we are in our happiest place at present, down a long boreen surrounded by farmland, seeing few people each day but peace reigns.

As you say blunt speech is our failing and I am saying it like it was and is now.

Pat,

I agree with you 100%, nothing like contentment, especially living safe. Doreen and myself loved living in Carrickfergus before we Came to Canada....then...well you know the old story.

Beano

Pat

Beano, you too seem to have taken the survey about NI personally. It doesn't mean that every single person in NI is happier than someone living, say, in Canada or the Republic of Ireland., Just as it doesn't mean that there are no unhappy people in the Republic or Canada. It was a survey taken over the whole of the UK and, whether you like it or not, NI came out as the happiest place to live.

Ann,

N.Ireland now is not the N.Ireland I left and I thank God for that. Believe me it was not a happy place back in the late 60s early 70s if you were happy then, I am delighted for you. Yes, for me it was personal as I feared for my family and they were the most important people in my life......they still are.

Beano

Beano, move forward - we have!!!!!

Friends, I think it is possible that the people who stayed in NI have got over the troubles easier than the ones who left because of the troubles. I am not sure I can ever get over that time in my life. However, I am delighted that they have. When I want a good laugh I ring my sister in Lambeg!

Ann,

I think it is YOU who are taking things personally. As the survey was over the United Kingdom I am not surprised N.I. came out tops.

To clarify matters we did not intend to leave for good but as things worked out for the better we are here yet. No regrets.

I was deeply disappointed by what we experienced before we left, especially as we had been reared & lived beside some of the people, whose hatred was made apparent.

I have no baggage Ann, my consience is clear, I never hated anyone in my life thank God.

I loved my home & all connected with it, I never thought I would ever leave the place where I was born & because it was & always will be my home, it is in my heart.

Pat

Pat, my last posting on the subject. We cannot remain living in the 60s or 70s and what was and what could have been. We have moved on and thank God our grandchildren know nothing of those times IN THE PAST. It's history now and that's where it will remain forever - HISTORY.

Ann

My last word too.

I agree with all You say but remember WE ARE THE LIVING

HISTORY AND BY REMEMBERING WE WILL MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT REPEAT ITSELF.

Slain Awaile Pat

:))]

Hi Pat,

I agree with you 100%, and .....this is my last word on the subject

Beano

I have lived the last 17 years of my life in Spain which I enjoyed but something kept pulling me 'home'. I returned to NI in April of this year and am now living very happily in Hillsborough. I have been overwhelmed by the friendliness of the people here and have been made most welcome by everyone. My property in Spain is still there for me should I want to return, my daughter and her husband have taken it over for holidays etc but up to now I have no desire to go back to live there. Home, for me.will always be Northern Ireland.