Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lisburn Characters

I wonder if many of your remember some of the characters that used to be in Lisburn, I am thinking of people like Bobby Griffin a very active cripple, "Davy" I forget his second name but more often called "Davy Knuck Knuck", then there was a guy who used to frequent the Longstone and done all kinds of errands for people and could talk the rear end of a donkey?? but I cannot remember his name.??

Not to mention some who hid behind closed doors though I couldn't pin point them but do remember meeting some when I was a telegram boy during the 2nd world war. Mauri

Re: Lisburn Characters

Hi Mauri, Davis's surname I think was Stewart from Wilson St ,he and Bobbie Griffen use to argue over who would open the bride's wedding car door during any weddings in the town ,and I'm wondering if the person who ran messages was Jimmy MC Cormack From the Causeway End ?

Right On Ted, Jimmy McCormick it was I can still see him standing at the corner of Tonagh Park and Longstone talking away.

The one character I forgot to mention was of course Davy Jones,I remember him being carried into the pit in the Picture House,but could never understand him going there as he was not shy of a quid.having his coal brick business.

I also remember seeing him at the Hippodrome in Belfast walking on to the stage with the heavy weight boxer Jack Doyle and telling Doyle I can do something you can't do and when Doyle laughed and said your joking, he walked between "Doyle's" legs. Mauri

Ted
Hi Mauri, Davis's surname I think was Stewart from Wilson St ,he and Bobbie Griffen use to argue over who would open the bride's wedding car door during any weddings in the town ,and I'm wondering if the person who ran messages was Jimmy MC Cormack From the Causeway End ?

Ted

wasn´t it Bobby Griffen who greeted everyone with the result of the Lisburn Cricket team match? He said " Lisburn 245 all out aul han"!

Another Lowroad character was John Jefferson who attended all funerals.

donald