Lisburn Exiles Forum

(Site is no longer operational pending a major long overdue overhaul of the entire website. Thank you for your patience. Site should still be visible and searchable for old posts.)

The Lisburn Exiles Forum is dedicated to the memory of James Goddard Collins (The Boss) who single-handedly built LISBURN.COM (with a lot of help from many contributors) from 1996 to 29th November 2012. This website was his passion and helping people with a common interest in the City of Lisburn around the world is his lasting legacy.

Lisburn Exiles Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Summer is gone

Last week saw the swallows flying to Capistrano, so we will miss them gathering on the wires in the morning's or swooping over the garden every evening.

Not looking forward to dark evenings soon but again looking forward to Christmas, which seems to come earlier every year.

We are due some dry weather surely, as the Cottage needs painting before winter & the grass needs a few more cuttings too.

Nothing lasts forever so here,s hoping for Winter Sun.

Pat

Re: Summer is gone

Pat, At the risk of making you jealous,we have been having beautifull weather all week with temperatures every day up In the mid to high 20sC also nice and sunny and the forecast for next week temperatures in the low 30sC,sure a good start to Autumn which came in on Friday. Have a nice weekend. Mauri

mauri,
we're on gold coast at the moment have been for a wee while. temperature is 30 c sun shining lovely blue sky all lovely tom

We had 3 lovely days but rain back today till Sunday, talk aboutvAngela,s Ashes weather.!

Cleaning out kitchen cupboards moving microwave etc, cleaning washing machine and dishwasher,all jobs for rainy days.

Suppose only for the rain they,d be on the long finger,so not all bad. BUT the sun is always welcome so you Canadians enjoy every ray.

Pat

Pat, Our hot weather still going though supposed to be a drop in temperatures tomorrow, 31c to day 15c tomorrow at least that's the forecast???, quite a change??,

Tom, The Gold Coast was always a hot spot in Australia though not too heavly populated at least not in my time in Australia, I guess that has all changed over the years,just like the pub times in Sydney, in my day they used to close at 6pm known as the 6oclock swill then just before I left Aussie they were allowed to open until 10.00pm but had to close for an hour at 6pm.

I have been back to Aussie twice since leaving in 1956,and couldn't believe I was sitting in the lounge bar of a hotel overlooking Sydney Harbour at 1.00am having a night cap, Time marches on.??
Mauri

Hi Pat,

Our hot days have come to an end, nothing lasts forever.
Regarding that picture, my sister's husband has solved the problem for us, he was able to check old hospital photos through his R.E.M.E. association. The original photo taken in 1964 shows the names as Paddy Toner(Finaghy)Paul Lavery(Lurgan) Robert Hanna (Lisburn) and Tom Skillen(Lurgan). I didn't think they kept records like that, anyway that is the story solved.

Beano

mauri,
things have certainly changed here since your time. pubs close about eleven, but some stay open later. pubs are not used so much now. people normally have a good supply of beer and loads of bottles of good wine at home ,so friends drop in or invited in, having made arrangements for another driver. bar b ques are common, good weather quite normal a very relaxed and pleasant life style. we're back to melbourne on sunday also pleasant and warmer than when we left. so we winter on gold coast and spring and summer in melbourne. good friends and people in both also lots of shows and things to do tom

Hi Tom, Sounds like a good life style, we more or less did the same here when we retired, we had a Condo in Florida where we spent the winters driving there and back which was a 2 and a half day drive each way,but the years slipped in and one time we said "that's it lets sell",so we put the Condo up for sale expecting it would take a few weeks to sell, but to our surprise sold in two days.

We have been back to Florida a few times since but flew there and back. While I would like to do another trip or two the wife not up to it as she has to use a cane to get around after a couple of hip operations. "Ah Well" lots of good memories. Mauri

Beano,

A bit disappointed as I was looking forward to seeing my Dad in that photo. Thanks for taking the trouble to find out anyway.
No relation the Lavery in Lurgan.

Pat

Don,t forget clocks go back on Sunday here.? Pat

Pat

Don,t forget clocks go back on Sunday here.? Pat

Pat
you are 4 weeks too early, they go back on Sunday 29 October
donald

Thanks Donald,

Heard that on T.V. news about clocks changing. Thought it was a bit early. Should have checked before posting. Glad I did,nt change anything. That,s the result of dozing when news is on & only hearing snippets.

Good this Forum keeps track of Senior Moments. Pat